• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green beans

I am one of those weird people who loves green beans. Sauteed with brown mustard seeds, hing, whole dried red chiles and grated coconut.. or sauteed with potatoes turmeric, salt, red chilies, garlic.....

I am getting hungry....

What do you do to your green beans?????

Pray tell.. inquiring minds want to know :wub:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I am one of those weird people who loves green beans. I am getting hungry....

What do you do to your green beans?????

:shock: no!no!i'll talk!mostly thorans-a cast of thousands including mustard,curry leaves,green/red chilli,coconut,garlic,sesame/mustard/coconut oil..

blanched and dressed for a cold salad..

sorry Monica-put it down previously unknown side effects of novocaine! :wacko::laugh:

Edited by gingerly (log)

I guess I am one of those weird people too! I love, love, love, green beans.

My standard way is with garlic and turmeric. Heat oil and saute very thickly sliced garlic until it just starts to get golden. Add green beans, trimmed and left whole, along with turmeric and salt. Turn-fry for about 5 minutes. You need tongs and a very large pan to do this easily since the beans are left whole. Then add a little water, cover and cook until as tender as you like. remove the lid add a spoon of sugar and turn-fry until glazed. Good hot, room temp or right out of the fridge.

Sometimes green onions replace the garlic. You can also try garlic shoots as well.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

heh heh, lots of us "wierd ones".

3/4 of my family (self, dh and dd) adore green beans

in any way shape or form:

thoran, paruppu usilli, north indian sabzis, ingredient in veg korma, etc.

also a very interesting pasta dish: pasta genovese,

named for genoa, chris columbus' home town.

sorry, it's not indian....

therefore the dish is characterized by adding potatoes:

1 pkg rotini pasta, prepared, drained.

3/4 lb green beans, broken into pieces (big pieces, not small) and steamed.

4-5 medium potatoes, peeled, diced, steamed or boiled,

1 bottle prepared pesto (~ 1 to 1.5 cups)

1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts or even chilgoza.

1 cup GOOD quality fresh parmesan or gruyere cheese, grated.

mix all the above into a bowl, and you're ready! :)

the 4th person in my family (2 yo ds) does not like

chewing any vegetables, we're trying to get him over this phase.

he eats all other parts of the dish except the green beans.....

btw: like we had discussed indian-chinese food, can we chat

about indian-italian food?

i went to an italian restaurant in bangalore and they used lots

of indian touches in the food.

the spicy versions of pesto and tomato sauces were fabulous.

how do they get it that way?

plus paneer everywhere, and really good bhains-ka-mozzarella

(buff mozz).

milagai

only slightly 'Indian', but I love them - toast some cumin seeds, add some oil, then fry some finely diced onion till golden but not too soft. Add chopped garlic + maybe some dried red chilli flakes + maybe some cinammon. Peel + seed + chop some tomatoes (or, if you are lazy like me, just chop them - the fibre's good for you anyway). Steam green beans then toss in big bowl with onion mix + chopped tomato. Sprinkle with chopped coriander. Serve warm or at room temp.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

There is a recipe but I can't find it.

Fry the green beans and then drain off the oil. Saute in a small bit of butter and a drizzle of soy sauce and some chopped peanuts. Very good.

Melissa

the best way to eat them is raw. there is no other way!!

seriously though, once those cooked green beans begin to squeek in my cheeks, i will not eat another one.

i do eat them and think they are delicious when not squeeky.

what makes them squeeky ?

Wow, great timing. I'm having a party catered by an Indian restaurant on Saturday and I've been frantically searching for recipes for a green bean dish to go along with the food- something that will be good cold or at room temp.

Monica, gingerly, your recipes sound delicious. Might you be willing to share them?

Thanks.

:biggrin:

One of the most underused vegetables in the world AFAIK.

Some fancy the asparagus and the long beans instead.

Two of my favorites.

Slice beans - to almost dice size. Wash before cutting. Temper hing, mustard seeds and whole red chillies in oil. Add beans, stir and cook covered, with salt and a pinch of sugar. Old timers would use jaggery. When almost done, add in scraped white coconut. Eat with layered Chappatis

String whole beans and cook till underdone in boiling salted (Avoid the soda-bi-carb) water. Heat oil in a vok, add sliced garlic, green onions. and green beans and stir fry. Add seosoning. Goes well with almost any red meats cooked either dry or in a gravy. I use it as a warm salad

:biggrin:

My fav way to make green beans is using one of Madhur Jaffrey's recipes. You cut the beans into 1/8-1/4" slices. Make a sauce by processing onion, garlic, ginger, tomato and turmeric. Then you fry the sauce and add some ground spices (cumin, corriander). In a separate pan, heat some oil and add whole cumin and mustard until they pop. Then, add the green beans and the sauce. Lastly, add lemon juice and salt and cook covered for 1/h hour. Eat with chapati. I had this for dinner tonight (with some seviyan for dessert).

My family loves the very popular "un Indian" Green Bean Casserole made with cream of mushroom soup and green beans, soy sauce, salt and pepper, topped with Durkee french fried onions. I myself love fresh green beans cooked with any recipe.

Our favorite at home is one that has been already mentioned - green beans, mustard seeds, onion, a red (dried) chili, curry leaves, urad dal (I have seen recipes with rice, but love the dal in it), and coconut - I believe it's considered a thoren, right?

We love it...

-- Judy B

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.

--James Michener