• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summertime Rum Drinks

beans

From the Las Vegas Review-Journal, a recent article on summer rum based drinks.

There's something about rum-based cocktails that links them inexorably to the hot, sunny months. Maybe it's because so many are umbrella drinks, whether in fact or spirit -- sweet, complex formulas that perfectly complement a lazy day at the beach. Maybe it's because so many of them contain tropical ingredients such as coconut, pineapple or lime. Or because, by virtue of its easy sweetness, rum was, for most of us, the perfect coming-of-age (or coming-of-fake-ID) liquor, therefore evoking fond memories of the summer of '42 -- or '72 or '92.

Lovely article that even makes mention of Las Vegas' own Montecristo rum. (no sugar cane doesn't grow in Nevada out in the deserts :raz: )

Some tasty drink recipes are inclusive -- the Tangerine Mojito, Kuya Mojito, Bing Cherry Daiquiri (a MGM signature drink) and La Florida (also MGM made with Cruzan light rum, maraschino liqueur and fresh sour).

Cheers!

My current favorite rum cocktail is basically a daiquiri made with Velvet Falernum instead of simple syrup:

2 oz. white rum

1/2 oz. Velvet Falernum

1/2 oz. lime juice

dash or two of peach bitters

Shake, strain and serve up.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night when I went to bed, I switched on the clockradio. And to my surprise, I heard the presentor say: first thing I'm gonna do tomorrow is buy a bottle of Havana Club. Oops, I can't say a brand name on the radio, I'm gonna buy a bottle of rum.

After this he gave the recipy for a Mojito, and said it is the best drink for this weather (it is around 30 degrees C here all week and next too probably).

Okay, it was past midnight (almost one o'clock), but it also is one of the national broadcasting stations.

edit: this all was in The Netherlands

Edited by John von Pey (log)