• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A few times on trips to NYC, I've sampled a cheese that I've really liked, but because I live two hours away declined to purchase it. Would a 1/2 lb. to lb. of cheese be ok on a 2/3 by train, 1/3 by car trip? Does it depend on the variety of cheese?

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I would like to expand on this question - I really want to send some quality cheese to a very good friend who is in S. Korea for two years (and starting to go a bit batty after 6 fromage-less months). Is this at all feasible? What precautions should I take (vacuum sealing? fed-ex? cold paks? preferably none of the above) What sort of cheeses would prove hardiest for the voyage (my instinct is a hard pecorino or parm, maybe an aged farmhouse cheese, but if I could find a similarly sturdy bleu I would be overjoyed).

Thanks

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

To both of you: I take cheeses with me everywhere. I never think twice about it, unless it's really smelly and people are looking at me like I recently filled my pants.

Don't hesitate. Don't even worry about cold packs, but use 'em if you got 'em. Your only mission is to not crush them. Otherwise they'll be fine.

Same goes for shipping cheese. Of course, it never hurts to pay a little more for overnight delivery; at the least, second-day air.