• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Star Tavern Pie

jb_973

jason wrote:

I'm wondering if the pie that came out was actually "well done" or just off of well done, because of the heavy char on some parts of the pizza. I actually like mine that way. Maybe you actually need to tell them you want it that way to ensure crunchy/crispy crust.

I always ask for it crispy and sure enough the Star pie was SOGGY MUSH.

And for what its worth IMHO, DeLorenzo's and Star shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. DeLorenzo's is the best pizza i've ever had anywhere. What sucks is that they are 50 miles from my house while Star is about 4.  :angry:

Jeff

I agree with you that Delorenzo's on Hudson is indeed the best pizza. The times we had Star pies, they were great but not in the league of Delorenzo's tomato pie. I never got mushy pies there ..maybe we hit it on the right nights but they were good. As Delorenzo's is 12 miles from my house, it's doubtful I'll hurry back to Star unless we're already up there.

fyi: Better take that outing soon down to Trenton because in all liklihood they will be closing sometime in April 07. The grandson of one of the original brothers ( the other still operates Delorenzo's on Hamilton Avenue) is opening a Delorenzo's in the new Town Center in Robbinsville and Gary from the Hudson Street location will most probably get out of the biz as he constantly complains about both his bad back and the deteriorating neighborhood.

In the PA forum we have a Pizza Club which meets a few times a year to visit the best pizza places. There was a run last year that hit both Delorenzo's places and another great Trenton place called Top Road. I'd be up for another go round if anyone on this board wants to go, pm me.