• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I was talking to a friend here in Toronto about what "yu sang" (chinese raw fish salad?) is cuz he was wondering what it was. I tried looking up some recipes online but the ingredients list dont look very similar to what I have at home back in Malaysia. So was wondering if you guys know what ingredients are usually included...and maybe the dressing for it as well. Thanks! :biggrin:

Edited by Gul_Dekar (log)

The salad is simple:

- shredded carrot

- shredded white radish

- bean shoots (some people like it, some don't)

- crispy rice/tapioca crackers, crushed, but not too much

- ground peanuts, unsalted

- pomelo segments, chopped, this you will find it difficult to source i suspect, everyone knows the best pomelos in the world come from Ipoh.

- pickled red chilli strips, extremely fine julienne'd, also you'll find this difficult to source...

- deep fried rice noodle for texture

for the fish... traditionally it's a freshwater fish, 'sang-yue' the cantonese call it, but the closest i can think of is probably an estuarine bass type fish, sea bass should be fine... sashimi thin, marinated at the last minute with lime juice, five spice powder, pepper and sesame oil. salmon works well too, but too fatty for me...

as for the sauce, its plum sauce, but the clear yellow variety you see sometimes at roast duck restaurants, and its mixed with a savoury chicken stock based, corn flour thickened demi-glace... you want sweet and sour but not too much so it overtakes the fish and vegies...

think thats it, but i'm probably wrong, i know it.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

What do you call someone (me) who likes yu sang without the yu? :biggrin: After partaking the ones with raw fish and ended up with food poisoning a couple of times, I prefer to take the jellyfish sang. :raz:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

What do you call someone (me) who likes yu sang without the yu? :biggrin: After partaking the ones with raw fish and ended up with food poisoning a couple of times, I prefer to take the jellyfish sang. :raz:

A shot of XO instead of lime to season the fish may help alleviate this problem in the future.