• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: NulloModo - One bourbon, one scotch, one beer...

There's a guy in Thorndale who sharpens knives. Keep meaning to check it out...

cdh--where is this marvelous Clemens?!~

My Clemens is the one in Harleysville, at the intersection of Rts 63 and 113.

There are Clemens markets all over the place... no idea if they all do the knife sharpening service...

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

There is an overly crowded (but loaded with cool stuff) store called Kitchen Kapers there, however. I didn't really plan to buy anything, but I left with a new (bigger) Moka pot. So that makes two Moka pots in one week.

NulloModo, I don't know if you care about this sort of thing, but if it makes you feel better about, uh, regional stuff, Kitchen Kapers is based out of Cherry Hill, right outside of Philadelphia. So you're kinda sorta buying local if you buy stuff through there.

Or not.

As you discovered, it ain't a cheap store. However, it does have a lot of cool stuff.

You might want to talk to them about getting your knives sharpened. You might also check there for sharpening stones if you want to do it yourself. I know the one here in downtown Philadelphia has both the stones available and a sharpening service. Again, it's not cheap--something like $1 an inch or something, and a week turnaround. Or maybe that's Foster's. I can't remember.

Warm back porch, cold beer, cold water, plate of hot vindaloo, couple friends, Dylan, Redbone, and Creedence on LP. These things make life good. Very, very good.

Time for some more Van Winkle and back to the porch.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

That cauli looks just great! You got a recipe?

Rice 1/2 a head or so of cauliflower (I find that using a regular grater it works well, you just have to keep changing your angle of attack as the grater will grate 'channels' into the cauliflower).

Bring to a light boil and cook until the water level is fairly low, and the mixture is a nice thick gloppy consistency.

Add a half teaspoon or so of cardamom and ground coriander seed.

Add black/white pepper to taste.

Toss in a couple tablespoons of butter, a couple glugs of cream, and a pinch of two of saffron seeds.

Stir slowly keeping it at a simmer until the texture is thick and creamy, and the saffron color has permeated.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Breakfast today was leftover beer and cheese soup, with a sidecar of some of that brie.

I have absolutely no clue what I am going to cook for dinner tonight. I'll post some pictures when I get an idea and get myself into gear ;).

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Alright, dinner has been decided: Jalepeno poppers. Nice and simple, but tasty.

Too busy celebrating the good Dr. Hunter S. Thompson's birthday today to get into any serious cooking, I recommend you all do the same ;).

Edited by NulloModo (log)

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Dinner is done:

plate of poppers, suitable sides.

Fear and Loathing is on the DVD Player

Time to celebrate.

egpop.jpg

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Ah, another late start today.

Breakfast was simple: just a couple pieces of cheese and an egg. Another quick morning on the run.

Lunch looks to be leftover Vindaloo and Cauliflower.

Dinner tonight, however, will be one last east-coast regional treat, and okra, which isn't east-coast regional at all, but should be a treat all over the country, man, that stuff is great.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

nullo,

your poppers look amazing and i am definitely going to have to try the cauliflower technique. i have loved your blog!!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

nullo,

your poppers look amazing and i am definitely going to have to try the cauliflower technique. i have loved your blog!!

Well thank you. The poppers are the simplest thing in the world, seed and de-top some jalapenos, stuff in some cream cheese, wrap in bacon, and into the oven till done. Heck, yesterday just called for cooking that could be done whilst semi-smashed, so those fit the bill.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

Suppertime,

And the livin' is easy,

Steaks are fryin'

And the okra is fine...

Did someone say..... cheesesteaks?

Start with a chopped up onion, and some thin (thinner than I sliced usually) rib steak.

egraw.jpg

Start to carmelize the onion in your cast iron skillet, then toss in the steak, keep stirring it and abusing it until it is a little chopped up and just past medium/medium-rare.

eginprog.jpg

If you were in Philly, you would then serve this up on an Amoroso roll with some whiz or provolone. I'm not in Philly, and I can't have an Amoroso roll, so the bread is an O'So'Lo low-carb roll (surprisingly very good), and the cheesesteak is UD Campus Style - mayo, blue cheese crumbles, and hot sauce.

egmsup.jpg

The Okra was just pot-fried with a little cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic, and old bay. Just a little oil goes a long way, get it hot, get it brown, gobble it down.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

OK, one last special cooking treat for today: Just so no one things Atkins is all meat all the time (hopefully I have dispelled some of that this week), here is a very tasty low-carb dessert: vanilla shortcake/custard with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.

egssc.jpg

And with that, from this:

hugedow.jpg

to this: (still a work in progress)

egafter2.jpg

... all in a little less than a year, from the First State, I'm passing the blog back to the west-coast, and signing off. Thank you all for taking this journey with me.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

That. Is. Awesome. ...You hottie, you!

I have really enjoyed your blog, and I must say, you opened my eyes to Atkins in a way I didn't know it before. Not to mention how much I enjoyed the connection with my former home, the First State. Thanks.

And... I have got to have the recipe for that shortcake/custard!!

Looking forward to more of your posts...

Take care.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Nullo, you look fabulous.

It's been a fun week. Thanks!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Nullo:

Congratulations on your achievments, both culinarily and physically. For a 23 year-old, you have amazing skills in the kitchen. I'm sure there is a reason your roomates stick around. I'm sure you know that your physical acheivment had as much to to with your adherence to the "Atkins diet" as it did with your swimming exercise regimen. You must keep vigilent with both. You can put it all back on in half the time it took you to lose it; speaking from first hand knowledge ( I went down (-45 lbs) and back up (30+ lbs), and I'm more than twice your age). Stay on the wagon.

PS: Fabulous blog. Further your passion for food, and don't fall off of the eGullet wagon. I will be trying some of your concoctions soon (the poppers especially).

Mark

I have been following the Lewis&Clark trail and camping so missed your Blog. I will read it tomorrow. :blink:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321