• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast!

pinkpau

This is a sore subject for me right now. I have to get more fiber and whole grains into my diet, so I'm on day 10 of quick-cooked oatmeal made with soy milk (gives it that creaminess without upsetting my lactose-intolerant bowels) and dusted with cinnamon. The thing is, I'm a protein person and could easily go on Atkins if I wanted to. Plus, I really prefer salty things in the morning to sweet. So, I'm feeling rather like a schoolkid being forced to eat something I dislike.

I always have breakfast but it varies considerably, depending on my mood, the weather, the news, how much I have to do, if I am going to my office or puttering in the garden or having to do a bunch of baking or cooking.

I love cereals of all kinds, I mix several together to have various textures.

I usually have some kind of fruit which goes into the bowl first. (I learned many years ago that the cereal does not get soggy so quickly when it is supported by the fruit.)

If it is a lazy day with not much to do, I will make cheese blintzes.

I make crepes in large batches, they keep well in the fridge and are great for filling with meats, eggs, and other goodies.

I love omelets of all kinds.

I love the southern breakfasts with ham, eggs, grits but I like fried potatoes also. Biscuits and gravy.

fried cornmeal mush with maple syrup.

My own invention, mock French toast - bread pudding baked in a loaf pan, sliced and cooked on a griddle.

Fruits and melons of all kinds. Fruit salads

I still have a long list.

And of course, black tea, hot, in a large mug or cup with milk and Splenda, since I have developed diabetes. Lots of tea.

I do like iced tea but in the morning I prefer hot.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for all your posts! It's amazing to see how diverse our breakfasts can be around the world! I just ate a popiah (spring roll) for breakfast and some mango. Here, in Malaysia, nasi lemak and kuih (local cakes) are a main staple....very bad for the waistline! :blink: But delicious nonetheless!

During the week it's coffee service "coffee" at the office.

Weekends it could be toast and jam, or biscuits.

It just as easily could be a full southern breakfast. Sometimes waffles made in an antique Griswald waffle iron or deep fried bread dough.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

Been feeling sick all week, so yesterday for breakfast I had bihun kuah (rice noodle soup with shredded chicken) and this morning -- piping hot bubur ayam (chicken jook/congee), with all the fixin's.

There's nothing like chicken soup for what ails ya!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Been feeling sick all week, so yesterday for breakfast I had bihun kuah (rice noodle soup with shredded chicken) and this morning -- piping hot bubur ayam (chicken jook/congee), with all the fixin's.

There's nothing like chicken soup for what ails ya!

That soup sounds like a good call.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Spaghetttti.

Pinkpau and spaghetttti, you two are lucky lucky lucky...I'd eat pau and nasi lemak every morning if I could! But only if the pau were savory, not sweet :smile: Lucky lucky lucky lucky!!!

Amy

P.S. I usually only have toast for breakfast before I run to work :sad: But on weekends when I go home, either Mom or Dad will make fried eggs and buttery toast at least once. Siiigh... :smile:

Pinkpau and spaghetttti, you two are lucky lucky lucky...I'd eat pau and nasi lemak every morning if I could!  But only if the pau were savory, not sweet  :smile:  Lucky lucky lucky lucky!!!

Amy

P.S.  I usually only have toast for breakfast before I run to work  :sad:  But on weekends when I go home, either Mom or Dad will make fried eggs and buttery toast at least once.  Siiigh...  :smile:

Naomi & pinkpau, thanks so much, am feeling a little better.

AmyDaniel, this morning breakfast in bed was exactly that! Fried eggs - over very easy, hot buttered toast, and fresh blended mango juice. I'm really being pampered, and have been told there's a second breakfast to follow later on at around 10:00am, which will be homemade pangsit kuah (wonton soup) with many droplets of aromatic sesame oil!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

When the weather's warm, I usually eat bran flakes and homemade blackberry or peach yoghurt.

When the weather's cold, it's oatmeal--bare naked oatmeal, cooked with a little salt.

Once in a while I make molletes: grilled bolillo spread with refried beans, dotted with crumbled queso cotija, and sometimes an over-easy fried egg on top, with a salsa muy picante.

If I'm really going all-out (usually for company; this is way too much breakfast for an ordinary day), it will be over-easy fried eggs, a salsa muy picante, refried beans, fresh hot tortillas, and golden fried maduros (super-ripe plantains) with a dollop of crema, all of that accompanied by whatever fruit is in season and ripest: papaya, mango, cantaloupe, cherimoya, guanábana.

Aaackkk, I haven't even had breakfast yet this morning and now just writing this makes me feel too full.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

Monday to Friday I'm very routine ... cereal & fresh fruit ... then I make a double espresso for me and cafe au lait for my wife (she's not much of a breakfast person.)

On the weekend I'll vary from cold pizza to a standard omlette au fromage to an overstuffed omlette with whatever looks good in the fridge.

I work one Saturday in four (today is one of them :sad: ) and on those mornings I go to a local greasy spoon for pancakes, eggs, hashbrowns, bacon and a healthy dose of attitude from the waitress/owner. No lunch required!

If I find myself below the 49th (translation: visiting the USA from Canada) I like to source out a big brekkie of biscuits & gravy ... chicken fried steak too if its on the menu. I feel my arteries clogging while I'm eating, but it happens so rarely ...

DA

My typical breakfast: 1 liter of water chugged before the shower. Then, black coffee, post-shower. After that, either dried fruit or Grape Nuts. Sometimes other fruit. Occasionally 2 minute eggs.

At my parents' house, Bittman's overnight waffles.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

It's Sunday, so breakfast was a Sunday brunch on the back porch. This morning it was left-overs (steak, carmelized onions, and potatoes) made into beef hash, with a yolky egg. And the best part of the meal... Enjoying the view while finishing up the last of the Mimosa and reading the Sunday paper.

i9962.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

what lovely roses  :wub:

Ling, they are! Those roses have caused me to photograph so much food and scenery on our porch the past few days. Sometimes roses bought in the supermarket fall over the next day... these have survived for almost a week!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.