• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with trout?

spicegirldc

Cook in the fat of cured porkgoods.

When we used to go trout fishing when I was a kid (the only summer vacations I knew about), the trout were always cooked in the left over bacon fat, after first being rolled in either corn meal or flour. Served with some fresh biscuits, crisp bacon and hot coffee from the campfire, there was no better meal.

• Like 1

Cook in the fat of cured porkgoods.

When we used to go trout fishing when I was a kid (the only summer vacations I knew about), the trout were always cooked in the left over bacon fat, after first being rolled in either corn meal or flour. Served with some fresh biscuits, crisp bacon and hot coffee from the campfire, there was no better meal.

I was first introduced to the combination of salty pork fat + trout in the form of a recipe that saw the fish stuffed with a couple crisp slices of jamon (I used proscuitto) and then fried in the fat from said jamon. I think the chef--Australian/Spaniard Frank Camorra--may have even gone so far as to top the cooked fish with yet anothr slice of crispy jamon.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

One of the fav dishes in the household is pan-roasted trout with capers. It's a classic thing that I learned in cooking class a long time ago but it continues to keep us happy.

S&P fish inside and out. toss some sliced lemons inside the slit from cleaning

Pan fry whole trout in butter/olive oil (2T?) on one side until crisp, turn over and throw in 400 degree oven until done (10 min?)

Pull trout out, return pan to stove

Toss in 1/4 cup rinsed capers, 1/4 cup diced shallots, add a touch more fat if needed

once they start to turn translucent, turn heat to high and drop in half cup of white wine

Reduce to half, turn down heat to med-low

Add in some fresh thyme leaves and pats of butter (1/2 stick?) to thicken sauce till it coats a spoon

Pour over trout.