• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with trout?

spicegirldc

I bought the most perfect whole trout last night.... I would love some suggestions on how to cook it. I usually make a malaysian curry with it but would love some different suggestions.. particularily if you have a suggestion with Thai spices or pastes.. I love hot and spicy food.... Thanks so much!!! I promise to let you know how it turns out.

Slice off the fillets. Rub the skin with salt and grapeseed oil.

Take the head and bones and make a stock. Take the stock and add some green curry paste, fish sauce, galangal, and mushrooms and some spinach or somesuch greens.

Make some rice.

Get a saute pan hot. Add a bit of grapeseed oil. Put the trout in skin side down. Season or not (won't need it, really). After thirty seconds shake the pan to make sure the trout aren't sticking. After a few minutes, peek at skin. If crisp and if the flesh is beginning to cook add some sake or other rice wine to the pan and some slivered scallions. Cover. Remove from heat.

Put rice in bowls. Put soup in bowls.

Place trout atop rice.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Rainbow trout is way too delicate and sweet for a spicy preperation. You would be covering up all of the great characteristics of the delicate fish.

I grew up w/ a trout stream within walking distance and can recall bringing back about 5 wild brook, rainbow and/or brown trout back each time I went fishing. There are a few preperations that we enjoyed the most.

Bring about an inch of water to a boil in a large skillet. Flatten out the trout such as you would butterfly a chicken. Place it in the water skin side up for a min. or so just to cook the skelletal inner belly area. Let it cool and then you can remove the bones from the inside. Then we would stuff the deboned trout w/ a stuffing made from onions, breadcrumbs, cilantro, white wine, canned crabmeat, few drops of worcheshire and a few lemon slices. Bake the stuffed trout and the skin will peel right off after baking. This method works better for the larger trout.

The other way was just to dredge the butterflied deboned trout in a mixture of flour and white pepper and saute about 5 minutes on each side in a hot cast iron pan w/ butter. This works better for the smaller ones. They crisp up better.

Simple is better for trout.

That's the essence of it, really.

The troutfat is exquisite.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Reading your mouthwatering description, I am beginning to see why.. simple is better.. I will certainly keep this in mind. I am just starting to learn the different styles and techniques of cooking fish.. so much to learn!!!!

Slice off the fillets. Rub the skin with salt and grapeseed oil.

Take the head and bones and make a stock. Take the stock and add some green curry paste, fish sauce, galangal, and mushrooms and some spinach or somesuch greens.

Make some rice.

Get a saute pan hot. Add a bit of grapeseed oil. Put the trout in skin side down. Season or not (won't need it, really). After thirty seconds shake the pan to make sure the trout aren't sticking. After a few minutes, peek at skin. If crisp and if the flesh is beginning to cook add some sake or other rice wine to the pan and some slivered scallions. Cover. Remove from heat.

Put rice in bowls. Put soup in bowls.

Place trout atop rice.

AWESOME... this sounds superb. Can I use ginger instead of galangal? Does the taste differ a lot, sorry if it is a stupid question, I dont know

When I was a kid, we used to catch trout and bring it home to fix. My grandmother just dipped it in egg and then a little cornmeal and fried it.

It was VERY good eating. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

AWESOME... this sounds superb. Can I use ginger instead of galangal? Does the taste differ a lot, sorry if it is a stupid question, I dont know

They are different, but not by a lot. Galangal is, um, hotter and more earthy. It's just a Southeast Asian flavour profile thing. Sure, use ginger. Young pink ginger if you can get it.

I like Gavin's notion of using tea. Could you put a few lemon slices and sprinkle some oolong in the cavity, then bake it slowly?

Dave, not to speak for Gavin but...

Sure to lemon and oolong. But I'd put the oolong in some cheesecloth or use bagged and slow baking is not so good by my experience.

When I manage to get really beautiful fresh trout, I also usually just grill them (indoors, cast-iron grill pan). I try to keep the sides very simple, since the trout is the star: buttered, parslied steamed potatoes (the tinier the better) and creamed spinach. A squirt of lemon and/or a drizzle of "O" Blood Orange and Olive Oil on the fish. Perfectly simple, simply perfect.

Then again, you could pretend that you just caught it: fry some bacon and then use the drippings to sautee the fish after you've done the egg/cornmeal thing that Jaymes mentioned. "Everything tastes better with bacon." And some hash-brown potatoes and stewed tomatoes. Mmmmmmm.

If it's a perfect trout, I would suggest simply baking it with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh thyme. I realize this won't be spicy but it will be divine!

Okay, simplicity is charm -- so I went for this one and can I say that I am in your debt forever.. such simple flavors, yet the taste was anything but... divine is right!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :smile::smile::smile::smile:

• 1 year later...

Dear husband just brought back fresh trout cut into 1/2 inch steaks (no head) and wants me to make something that looks as well as tastes good to impress his work colleagues who are coming to dinner tomorrow :O. Please help... I have a traditional Indian trout recipe that I always make but am eager to try something new. Any ideas (with recipes if possible :P) are much much much appreciated!

thanks a ton in advance,

w@w

lightly flour(seasoned) and saute in butter with new potatoes and green beans. Serve with Dry Rose or Sav Blanc. Should have left them whole what a shame.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321