• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Fare Start Guest Chef Nights in Septempter

Not a pain at all, and I already got a PM asking to see them too, so I'll bring them tomorrow night. See you all then!

Classmate observing me carefully washing my knives at school a few months ago: "Are your knives *glowing*?!"

Hehe,

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Not a pain at all, and I already got a PM asking to see them too, so I'll bring them tomorrow night. See you all then!

Classmate observing me carefully washing my knives at school a few months ago: "Are your knives *glowing*?!"

Hehe,

Pat

Bob Kramer? oh yeah... I sent my knives up to him. They came back like razors. Scary sharp.

See ya'll tonight!

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Bob Kramer? oh yeah... I sent my knives up to him. They came back like razors. Scary sharp.

See ya'll tonight!

Link to the knife sharpening thread

I happen to have one of my just-sharpened (by Epicurean Edge) knives with me -- we had a potluck at work -- so I will bring it tonight and we can compare. :biggrin:

Edit: I hate misspelling words that I know.

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

That was a great meal. Of the kind that makes one bask and glow for hours afterwards. Ahem.

The cold tomato soup tasted like spirit of tomato in a bowl, main course was juicy buttery tenderloin over a toothsome cake of polenta with cheese, and even though it was a hearty hunk of meat, dessert still went down so refreshingly easy.

And DRColby brought us all chanterelles from his forages earlier. Thank you very much Dave, and thanks again laurel for organizing this and getting us all sorted over the bill.

final word on knives: we think it's the same guy doing the sharpening at both places. The work certainly seemed identical. I'm imagining Bob Kramer wondering at the sudden glut of knives appearing in his mailbox.

Pat, happily digesting

Indeed, what a lovely evening. I'm so impressed with FareStart--and, as always, with Ethan Stowell. And what fabulous company! I love you, eGullet. :wub:

[Edited to add an enormous thanks for the chanterelles! How could I have left that out?!]

Edited by cheeseandchocolate (log)

She blogs: Orangette

What fun we had! The food was nearly as good as it is at Union -- no mean feat considering that Chef Stowell was working with a crew of just-trained cooks and serving 200+ people all at approximately the same time. I'm still dreaming about that crispy, cheesy polenta...

We got to meet even more eG'ers who we hadn't yet crossed paths with -- special thanks to David and Cathy for the chanterelles! -- and of course it's always a treat to see the usual crew.

:biggrin:

Can't wait for the Lark version next week!

~Anita

What fun we had! The food was nearly as good as it is at Union -- no mean feat considering that Chef Stowell was working with a crew of just-trained cooks and serving 200+ people all at approximately the same time. I'm still dreaming about that crispy, cheesy polenta...

We got to meet even more eG'ers who we hadn't yet crossed paths with -- special thanks to David and Cathy for the chanterelles! -- and of course it's always a treat to see the usual crew.

:biggrin:

Can't wait for the Lark version next week!

~Anita

Just enjoying the comments from last night's dinner. What did you think about the wine pairings? Do you get a glass with each course?

I'm looking forward to next week and the Kestrel wines as I've enjoyed them in the past.

Linda

edited to put the quote on top!

Edited by sequim (log)

Just enjoying the comments from last night's dinner.  What did you think about the wine pairings?  Do you get a glass with each course?

They weren't pairings per se: There was a 'choice' of one white (fume-chardonnay blend) and a red (hmm, memory fails: cab? merlot?), both from Hedges. They were priced over and above the dinner price. However, per-glass prices were 1/4th of the full bottle cost, which was nice to see.

That was a great meal. Of the kind that makes one bask and glow for hours afterwards. Ahem.

final word on knives: we think it's the same guy doing the sharpening at both places. The work certainly seemed identical. I'm imagining Bob Kramer wondering at the sudden glut of knives appearing in his mailbox.

I'll echo everyone's cheers and thanks for the food, company, organization, and chanterelles...

...and apologize for sowing confusion about knife sharpening last night. I should have checked my documentation before speaking so boldly.

Daniel O'Malley does the sharpening for the Epicurean Edge in Kirkland. I'll post this over in the knife sharpening thread as well.

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

I really enjoyed last week's dinner too, and I'm glad that it seems everyone else did. I'm really looking forward to this Thursday's as well. Mariam asked me to remind everyone that since Thursday is sold out, it's important to be on time, especially for the 5:30 group. As the worst offender last time, I'll make sure to allow extra parking time this week...

I really enjoyed last week's dinner too, and I'm glad that it seems everyone else did.  I'm really looking forward to this Thursday's as well.  Mariam asked me to remind everyone that since Thursday is sold out, it's important to be on time, especially for the 5:30 group.  As the worst offender last time, I'll make sure to allow extra parking time this week...

Cathy is cruising around Alaska so we won't make it Thursday. Have fun.

dave

Since we were in San Fran last week we are very much looking forward to the Fare Start dinner this Thurs! Anyone have any good parking lessons learned??

The Securities Building (Bed Bath and Beyond) 1 block east (same cross streets as Farestart, except between 3rd and 4th instead of on 2nd) is $4 and indoors.. it's the best deal in the area that I've seen if you don't want to look for a free spot.

I am sure it is just concidence after last week's meal, but last evening I received a call from Fare Start asking for a donation. They are sincere, and pretty pushy.

After last week's presentation it is also pretty tough not to donate to the program. Especially with MSFT kicking in $150,000 to the capital campaign. The caller said it takes $6,000 to put a student through the Fare Start program. (I would guess it is much more than that.)

As I watched last week's presentation, I wondered how those who complete Fare Start stack up with those from other Seattle cullinary programs such as Seattle Central's or the Art Institute. I would imagine Fare Start students are a little more mature when it comes to job responsibility.

dave

I dunno, unless the whole thing was somehow too subtle for me, I didn't enjoy tonight's dinner that much. Nothing was bad, the beet and candied nut salad was pretty good, but the rockfish wrapped in grape leaves wasn't that interesting to me.

Dessert was definitely my favorite, enjoyed the fig tart, and wouldn't have thought of goat cheese sorbet to go with it, but it made perfect sense on eating.

Won't stop me from getting to Lark one of these days though.

Pat

I have to say I was very disappointed with the size of the plates. We basically had three appetizers. I had to go home and eat a large piece of chocolate cake to feel satisfied. :wacko: I liked each dish, but with about three bites, you can't really get a feel for it. I mean I know I paid less than the regular value, but still, if a restaurant wants to make a good impression, they shouldn't be too chintzy.

I'd go back and give Fare Start chef dinners another try, I'm not sure I'd go to Lark if this is their representation of plate size. Is this just another place that serves art food?

The company was great, though, and I enjoyed meeting the new people!

I also thought the Union Farestart dinner was FAR superior and so much more generous. We almost made good on our threat of having a steak at Buenos Aires Grill afterward, but opted for cocktails instead. :raz: The Kestrel wine was really good last night, though. It was wonderful to see old friends and to get to know little miss and mr foodie.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Dayne and I had a fantastic time talking with you all last night! We really enjoyed our evening. Personally I wasn't impressed with the meal however I have eaten at Lark twice and have been more than happy both times. I actually didn't feel that the food served last night was a very good gauge of what Lark is doing.

But cocktails after dinner at ZigZag were a hit!!

Thanks again for the great company and many thanks to laurel for handling the reservations!

Wendy

I'm not sure I'd go to Lark if this is their representation of plate size. Is this just another place that serves art food?

Well I for one think it would be a shame if you passed up Lark based on your experience at Farestart.

I thought the food was wonderful, but it was very light. I'm sure many people went home and had something else to eat. :shock: And I think it was pretty brilliant of Ethan Stowell to have tenderloin as the main the previous week. Made for a more filling meal.

but it won't stop me from going to Lark!! I adore Jonathan Sundstrom's cooking and think his little restaurant is fabulous.

Born Free, Now Expensive

That was a really fun evening last night. I concur that the size of the items was very small but, for the most part, I thought the meal was very good. The beets in the salad were fantastic and the fig tarte was really earthy and delicious. I thought the rockfish was just so-so. The grape leaves kind of turned me off. Mine were almost burnt tasting. But the wine......yum. I wish we could have tried the viognier before they ran out but the cab sure made up for it. And the seeing everyone again and meeting little ms foodie and her husband was great. Going to Zig Zag was a perfect way to end the evening (must drink lots of water today!). I'm looking forward to our next function.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Well okay, I can be easily convinced to go to Lark, but don't anyone tell me they left the restaurant hungry! I agree about the Kestrel wines, having a glass of both. I thought the chardonnay was just paired brilliantly with the salad. I didn't think the cabernet would be that good with the fish but it was fine too. At least the wine portions were good. :smile:

My first Fare Start dinner and on the plus side was the pleasure of dining with some terrific eG folks....the negative was the idea that a few small bites of food could possibly constitute a dinner.

Yes, I had to have a snack when I got home too.

While I appreciate and congratulate any chef who donates his time and money to a great cause it can backfire and create a negative impression unless it's done right.