• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants near Quantico

sara

Hi

I have a cousin in Officers Candidate School at Quantico. He gets limited leave, very rarely. We need suggestions of good places to eat within 20 minutes of Quantico. The Marine uniform shop sent this list---does anyone know of any of these places? (An egullet search turned up nada)

Tixian on route 234

Claiborne's Chophouse in Fredericksburg

Olde Town Steak & Seafood in Fredericksburg

Riverview Steak & Seafood - Fredericksburg along Rappahannock River

La Petite Auberge= Fredericksburg

Thanks!!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Used to go to William and Mary, so I've been to the Trellis, but yes, that's too far--as is DC and Richmond.

Morela, tell me more...Cute website, but have you been?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I've never heard of "Tixian" on Rte 234 - maybe they meant "Tiziano's." Italian. Good, but you need to be semi-careful on what you order. Certainly no match for the restaurants downtown.

Others close by -- Tim's Rivershore in Dumfries.

Giorgio's in Montclair (right off Rte 234). Italian and Greek. Neighborhood type place.

Rick Azzarano

Used to go to William and Mary, so I've been to the Trellis, but yes, that's too far--as is DC and Richmond.

Girl, you gonna make me remember that far back.

It was like two years ago; I was with one foodie and a couple of non-foodies, and we were all equally impressed with the whole package. I'd go again if I could.

I had monkfish or something and drank some good beer on tap; friend had rib-eye, that might have been smoked there (both appear to have been overtaken on the menu)...

I loved the way I felt in the room; ambiance and people. Irvington's a beautiful town.

Nexis it if you have to...

Edited by morela (log)

A place called Augustine's opened up a year ago in the old town area of Fredericksburg, we had some appetizers and drinks there for New Years and would try it again.

We had a 5 course prix fixe dinner at Merriman's (also in historic downtown, 2 blocks from Augustine's) and were pretty disappointed in the meal so I'd steer clear of there.

Never tried the places you listed, though.

About 18 months ago, I had dinner at Bistro 309 in Fredricksburg, having done some research beforehand. Jay Comfort was executive chef there at the time before coming up to Washington to run Poste.

Alert, alert: on May 20, 2004, Bistro 309 was sold to current executive chef Blake Bethem (who has worked in the kitchen there for three years, presumably with Jay), and the restaurant has reopened under the name Bistro Bethem.

No clue as to the current quality level, but it may be worth investigating.

If you are still trying to decide, let me expand a little on the list I put in before:

While there are no "great" restaurants in the area north of Quantico (as in "great" like some of the ones in DC or Northern VA), there are some good to very good choices, all within your 20 minute limit.

Tiziano's - on Rte 234 (west toward Manassas, 2 stoplights from Rte 95). Good Italian, moderately priced. I tend toward the specials, as there seems to be a little more creativity there.

Giorgio's - a little farther up Rte 234. Italian and Greek. A very good "neighborhood" type place. I tend to stick with the Greek dishes. They have a very good roast pork entree.

Tim's Rivershore - On the Cherry Hill peninsula. Extremely casual. Caters to a lot of boaters. Simple, direct seafood entrees, broiled or fried. Great softshells (at least the last time we were there). Large outdoor bar area, although they recently got into a hassle with Prince William County over rebuilding the bar area after the hurricane last year, so it may be "off-limits."

Rick Azzarano