• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Escalopes a la milanese

AlainV

I have the same problem everytime I make "Escalopes a la Milanese". I sprinkle veal cutlets with lemon juice and keep them in the fridge for one hour.

Then I pat them dry, put them in beaten eggs, then in breadcrumbs before frying them in a large non-stick skillet with olive oil. During cooking, the breadcrumbs coat detach itself from the meat and when I turn the cutlets, it breaks down.

I tried putting the cutlets first in flour before beaten eggs without better results.

Could someone help me ?

I have had better luck if I bread meat about an hour before I cook it and let the coating have a chance to "set" in the 'fridge.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This always works perfectly for me.

1) Cut veal/chicken/whatever.

2) Pound flat.

3) Dredge in flour, shake off excess

4) Put in egg wash (egg, scrambled, with a dash of water)

5) Let excess drip off (but should be totally covered)

6) Put in breadcrumbs.

7) HOT oil ~370. If the oil isnt hot enough, it wont bind correctly, and will fall off.

See if any of that works, although it seems you may be doing all that. (The hot oil is really important)

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

blech, too much breading :raz:

let us know how it goes! (maybe do like 5 different combos)

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I don't know about the double bread crumb action, but DEFINITELY coat in flour before the egg wash....then the crumbs will stick, I promise.

and probably turn up the stove too.

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

i used to have that problem, too. one thing that might be overlooked is how you bread them: put a LOT of crumbs in a wide bowl. put the egg-washed scallop on top. mound bread crumbs over. press firmly to coat. lift and gently shake off excess. refrigerate 30 minutes or so to let the "glue" set. cook over moderately high heat, lots of butter/oil.

3) Dredge in flour, shake off excess

I think this is the most important step and the one most overlooked. If you don't shake off the excess flour the egg won't stick, and therefore will not glue the crumbs. The flour should be a light dusting.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

Pound

Flour

Egg Wash

Bread Crumbs (Deep Bowl)

Let set for 1 hour in the fridge

Cook in deep oil. You are going for a fry not a sauté.

Make sure your oil is hot enough.

Never trust a skinny chef