• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Other heirloom seeds

Rushina

Along with the millets that I picked up (as discussed on another thread)

I have also picked up organic Rajma, organic urad, a daal called navrangi which I think is lobiya but I cant be sure, will take a picture and post it.

I also picked up Bhangjeera which is a local seed used in a very yummy chutney and Bhang seeds. Bhaang seeds again are used to make a chutney and wild apricot oil. The oil I am thinking is going to be great to dress fruit based salads...

Any ideas anyone ?

Rushina

Educate me Episure what exactly is Jambhu grass? (I think you had mentioned this before but i forget...)

When my daal is cooked and i have the temperring done to pour over it, I take the tempering off the gass add the jambhu to the hot ghee, pour it into the daal and cover the dall tightly. on uncovering it just before serving there is an almost intoxicating aroma.

Rushina

• 2 weeks later...

eating Bhang seeds is a norm in the area my husbands family hails from in Garhwal. They eat one at a time like peanuts (I think). A chutney is made out of them. I intend to make that once I have ascertained the right season for it.

Rushina