• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food TV Phraseology

ZenJones

And the Rachel Ray EVOO thing is just puzzling.  Why does she do that over and over again?  Why not just leave the acronym out?

my guess is she's trying to be an educator. there have been more than 1 example of people even here on egullet who have said "what does EVOO" mean when it has been metioned in a thread or recipe proving that even though we know what it means, the entire world isn't as smart as us.

Edited by tommy (log)

And the Rachel Ray EVOO thing is just puzzling.  Why does she do that over and over again?  Why not just leave the acronym out?

my guess is she's trying to be an educator. there have been more than 1 example of people even here on egullet who have said "what does EVOO" mean when it has been metioned in a thread or recipe proving that even though we know what it means, the entire world isn't as smart as us.

Well OK then.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I guess all of us have our tics, verbal and otherwise. Do you find yourself cutting TV chefs a lot of slack for stuff like this if you like/respect what they do?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

On one Naked Chef show,Oliver had a friend who was playing basketball downstairs. Friend came up to help cook, did NOT wash his hands before OR after he wiped the sweat from his brow. No matter--they both started finger sampling the salad dressing multiple times. I wouldn't eat Jamie's food on a bet.

Especially that time he was making a semi-freddo and folded the raspberries directly into the raw egg yolks. Yuk!

All music as a background for food shows bugs me as I'm trying to hear the host talk. But the worst offender, even though played on breaks is Doc-plus-sidekick-of-the-week on Emeril Live. Let's NOT "give it up for them," let's get them outta here. But why should I care, since I gave up watching Emeril after about 4 months when I first got Food TV.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

On the issue of "Cross-Contamination"... the worst single thing I ever saw on Food TV was many, many moons ago on what was my favorite show back then, "Taste", hosted by David Rosengarten.

He did a show on chicken thighs and their rightious position of being over looked when it came to taste & adaptability in recipes.

He had a big pile of fresh, raw thighs on his wood chopping board and after triming them, threw them into a bowl and then placed a rather large handful of salad greens directly onto NOT only the same board BUT the exact spot that mere seconds before hosted the raw thighs.

**Note- He hadn't washed his hands, his knife, the board... nothing. There was even a slightly reddish puddle of raw chicken blood juice underneath the fresh greens.

I assumed it was obviously because of time contraints but it gave me the shivers nonetheless... could you imagine eating THAT salad?!?!... "Hmmm, what's in this vinegrette? I can't quite place it... it tastes somehow like a 6 day stay in a hospital"

:sad::shock::huh:

Rachel Ray also says "goin' on.." constantly. And the way she says it: "I've got my chicken GOOOOO-EN AWNNNN...and I have this pan GOOOOO-EN AWNNNNN" is very annoying. Also, I hate food personification. They ALL seem to call food items "guys." "You chop these guys up and add them to these guys that are already cooked...." :blink:

Alton Brown: X brings a lot of _________ to the party (X=an ingredient or technique.)

or

When we bring X to the party...

Every single episode.

On that note...

do you really think Alton cooks like he does on his show? My wife once said if he really cooks that way he's either single or his wife must get take-out on those evenings.

Talk about a Poster Boy for O.C.D.

Paula Dean: "Let's fry up these canned biscuits in OL"; "wrap it in FOL"

:laugh: That does take some getting used to, but I think she's a sweetie. Her food often makes me cringe...but I like her as a person. Her wedding show made me a fan if I wasn't fully a fan before.

I don't watch Paula Dean often, what do OL and FOL Stand for?

If you aren't just pulling our collective legs here I'd go with "oil" and "foil" ...

but you are probably kidding, no? :rolleyes:

Yes, oil and foil, ya'll.

That being said, I do like her. One day I will try frying canned biscuits in ol. They looked really good, especially after she pumped them full of honey butter.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Emeril saying, "I recommend you call up your cable company and complain that you don't have SMELL-O-VISION!".

Or "I don't know where you come from, but where I come from (insert name of ingredient here) don't come seasoned."

oooh, I didn't know you were trying to replicate the drawl though those words ;). The use of all caps led me to believe she was spouting out some acronym I wasn't familiar with....

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I can't believe no one has mentioned Emeril saying, "I recommend you call up your cable company and complain that you don't have SMELL-O-VISION!".

That one reminds me of soemthing Bobby Flay does on Boy Meets Grill that snaps me (although I otherwise really like the show).

He'll pick up something (a bowl of marinade, a grilled piece of meat) hold it close to the camera and say - "Smell this. Doesn't that smell great?"

No - it smells like my TV screen.

Bill Russell

do you really think Alton cooks like he does on his show?

Yes.

Read up on his wonderful Q&A session on eG not that long ago. He's quite well liked here on the 'gull.

Including by me. He brings a lot to the party.

"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

And I actually saw that episode where Paula Dean deep-fried canned biscuit dough. I gotta say, that for once she shocked me with something I'd never thought of before but that looked REALLY delicious. I will definitely try it someday.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I was watching How to Boil Water yesterday with new host Tyler Florence. He ended each sentence with "right" and started almost every sentence with "Alright..." It was driving me nuts, so I turned it off.

"I don't know where you come from, but where I come from (insert name of ingredient here) don't come seasoned."

Shoot! I was just about to say this one. This one truly gets under my skin.

I love Paula Deen even though I probably would never make her food. Only on the surface does she appear to be a cuddley, southern grandma, but look at the way she stuffs her face with some creamy (usually white) food at the end of the show. With the cream cheese frosting of her "Better than Sex" cake still sticking to the corners of her mouth (I'm not making this up), she winks at the camera. So subversive!

I was watching How to Boil Water yesterday with new host Tyler Florence. He ended each sentence with "right" and started almost every sentence with "Alright..." It was driving me nuts, so I turned it off.

I was watching that, too, for two seconds. I couldn't stand it. Florence always says "right" after everything and actually has a very jerky, let's say, self-consciously "bachelor" style in the kitchen. He is quick and unfussy--both plusses. He really plays it up, however; his casual way of speaking and dressing both reinforces this. The combination of Florence and the "How to Boil Water" Woman was insufferable--his casual flirtiness and her "girly-girl" clueness was just too much to bear!

In Tyler Florence's case, I'd have just hit the "mute" button. :raz: