• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food TV Phraseology

ZenJones

Name you favorite over used, tired, redundant, etc phrases used on Food TV and the mouth of the author that they originate from...

1. Ms. Ray- "Neato", "Yum" & "E V O O"

2. Tyler Florence- He means to say Fantastic constantly but instead says, "Funtastic" as in, "That looks funtastic!". My wife and me counted him saying it 31 times in one of his Tyler's Greatest shows... 31 TIMES! Not only redundant BUT mispronounced.

3. Mario- "Copious" and " ...that is to say... "

4. Emeril- None that I can think of really :huh:

5. Jamie Oliver- "Whack it in... "

Name you favorite over used, tired, redundant, etc phrases used on Food TV and the mouth of the author that they originate from...

4. Emeril- None that I can think of really :huh:

How about "BAM!" Fun at first. Now just annoying. But the audience seems to like it.

Emeril ... oooh, yeah babee ... and that infernal little under the breath humming thing he does .. to fill "empty air" while he is mixing something .... is a little silence such a horrible thing for a moment here and there?? :rolleyes:

Martin Yan .. chop, chop, chop .... and the continual chattering ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

4.  Emeril- None that I can think of really 

:blink: How about some:

Pork fat RULES!

Are yah with me?

It's not rocket science!

Oh yeah baby! (I see that was mentioned already..and it get my vote as well)

Lets add some GARLIC...(has to emphasise that word, no matter what, so the audience can have their applause-fest...)

And any of his wink-wink-nudge-nudge POOR sexual inuendos as he thinks they relate to his sausages, sauces, etc. :rolleyes: He probably has dozens of others but I stopped watching him years ago basically because of the above.

---

Wolfgang Puck: "Ummmm" or "Yummm" after every addition of ingredient

Ina Garten: The constant grunting of "Uh!! UH!!" "UH! This is going to be SOOO good...UH!!" after eveything blessed thing she does. Let's add her bleating, staccato laugh in there too. "EHH EHHH EHHH EHHH EHHH EHHH."

Edited by Pickles (log)

Who stated something to the effect of what we see in others that we despise is what we also see in ourselves? :blink:

Dunno 'bout you, but I personally can go days without ever uttering a sausage double entendre, a "bam", an "oh baby yeah", or such ... there is yet another annoying phrase I had forgotten that Emeril uses: "like such" .. is that even grammatically correct?? :hmmm:

I'm still and will probably always remain of the "who cares?" point of view. I find it all rather inane. If a show host annoys you that much, why waste your time to watch or gripe about?

But then what would we have to "bitch and moan" about on these messageboards?? :rolleyes:

Cut us a little slack and enjoy or ignore what seems excessive ... :biggrin:

Okay! Let's have fun and dog pile onto whatever show host because we don't like his/her ________________ ! Woo weeeeeeee!!!! This is productive! And look at all of the friends I made because we all hate ______________!!!

I just don't get it.

Carry on! :biggrin:

I kind of like how Jamie Oliver sounds like he's talking about a woman's body or something equally scandalous when he calls things "really lovely" or "really beautiful"...and the permeating Enligh "ah yea" & "right then"....

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

5.  Jamie Oliver- "Whack it in... "

I have a drink every time he says really nice!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Who stated something to the effect of what we see in others that we despise is what we also see in ourselves?  :blink:

Quite frankly, I don't care for your "who cares?" attitude... Hmm... does that mean I actually don't care myself, and I don't care for the fact that I don't care? hmmm.. :wacko::laugh:

I always though the "if memory serves me right" wasn't so much a catchphrase, but somewhat a part of the culture. I took it as "I may be wrong, so I'm trying not to offend anyone if I am, but what I think is...." when in America most people (even if they aren't 100% sure) would say Well, "this is like this blah blah blah."

Could just be me.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I always though the "if memory serves me right" wasn't so much a catchphrase, but somewhat a part of the culture. I took it as "I may be wrong, so I'm trying not to offend anyone if I am, but what I think is...." when in America most people (even if they aren't 100% sure) would say Well, "this is like this blah blah blah."

Yeah, and the tasters follow everything up with "I think".

"The shark fin and pork fat really help accentuate the flavor of sea cucumber... I think."

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Having watched a load of Keith Floyd repeats on Sunday, how about 'And a quick slurp for me' or the many variants.

I do like the term 'Gastronauts' though

I can't tell you how ENVIOUS I am you can get Keith Floyd. On what station and where, may I ask? I never found his "quick slurp" to be said enough to be annoying though. :wink: I'd give my left...arm.. to watch this show, and was looking here on eG for a copy of "Floyd On France." Alas... :sad: