• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iranian Cuisine

Sam Salmon

I just drove through West Van and saw the Caspian Restaurant second floor downtown W Van.

I mentioned to my companion that I'd never had Iranian food and she said she never had either so we both went "hmmm...".

Does anyone here have any first hand experience with Iranian food and in particular any of the Iranian restaurants on the North Shore?

I have visited a few Iranian groceries and found them somewhat dull apart from the bread.

• 7 months later...

Hey all, I wondering if I can get some advice from you foodie gurus. I'm looking for a good Persian restaurant for the adventurous eater. Not anywhere extremely expensive. I found a couple restaurants online and I'm wondering if anybody has been there? Any other suggestions would be great as well.

Caspian Restaurant 1495 Marine, W. Van., 604-921-1311

Persepolis Restaurant, 112 West 13th St., N. Vancouver, 990-1004.

Kash Cool Persian Restaurant 222 Pemberton Ave. N. Vancouver. 604-904-3904

Eat well,

Woook

I tried the place off Lonsdale (probably Persepolis) years ago. It was my first venture into Persian and it was okay, but perhaps my taste buds were not properly seasoned?

And sincerest apologies to anyone who takes offence if this suggestion is waaay off (really!), but I have also been to the Afghan Horsemen on Broadway and it was very interesting - moreso than the Persian place IMHO.

I'm looking for a good Persian restaurant for the adventurous eater.

Adventurous like they let you eat while riding horseback and wrestling alligators?

Hmmm, I smell the next reality TV craze! Of course everybody would have to sign their life away first. (:

Found two more Persian places in Vancouver, though I've never tried either of them, but someone might have:

Zagros Authentic Persian Food

1091 Davie

604-688-0405

and

Patough Cafe

841 Bidwell

604-696-0082

(this one has a small blurb in the Georgia Straight - here: Georgia Straight - Persian food but you need to scroll down a bit.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Haven't eaten at Zagros in years since it was in the space now occupied by Random (1326 Davie). From what I remember, the food was tasty and the service friendly. When I saw that Random had moved in, I thought Zagros was no more... happy to hear that they're still in business and will have to head back for a return visit. Thanks for the tip Sarah!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I know absolutely nothing about what constitutes Persian food, except for a fondness for sumac flavouring. Anyone want to educate an ignoramus? lots of lamb? Eggplant, tomatoes, youhgurt?

I think you're on the right track. I think goat is big too, as well as stuffed vegetables and stews. Quite fragrant dishes - mint, cumin, coriander.

I ate at Caspian in West Van several years ago. I remember it was quite good.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Oh Persian food...yum...yum...yum.

The restaurants I would say are the best bet are all in North Vancouver. KashCool is good, but I haven't been in awhile as I have a friends mom who cooks my Persian dishes for me (best to go to the source...no?)

And...if you don't know what to order...my standby favorites are...

Khoresht Fesenjaan- Chicken with walnut and pomegranate juice

Polow-Rice with a yummy crispy layer

Zereshk Polow:Chicken with rice, barberries and saffron

I will ask around and post when I hear more...

mmm....food....craving persian food... :raz:

And sincerest apologies to anyone who takes offence if this suggestion is waaay off (really!), but I have also been to the Afghan Horsemen on Broadway and it was very interesting - moreso than the Persian place IMHO.

I've been tempted to try this place, too. I live within sight of the place, but with so many other places I've never been before, it never gets chosen when my wife and are trying to decide where to go.

This thread might just be the tipping point....I'll let you know.

An eGullet "do" perhaps?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I've been tempted to try this place, too.  I live within sight of the place, but with so many other places I've never been before, it never gets chosen when my wife and are trying to decide where to go.

Vancouver Lee, whether for good reason or not, this quote just cracked me up. I think I've had similar conversations with my wife! :laugh: In all seriousness, though, please do post your thoughts if/when you make it to the Horsemen. Cheers!

As to the Afghan Horseman I first ate there lo almost 3 decades ago. :cool:

Their food was unique and tasty-a bit like Greek was all I could have said about it at the time.

Then over the years the bread turned to whole wheat :unsure: , someone started to pour cheap oil on the Humus and the crisp lively flavours were lost in a haze of

fried this and microwaved that.

I've since heard that a new generation has sparked up the cooking but I'm looking for a number of positive reports before I try it again.

I'm also puzzled by the references to 'Persian food.

I know a number of Iranians and they tell me to call oneself 'Persian' in Iran is to invite mockery and worse.

I know a number of Iranians and they tell me to call oneself 'Persian' in Iran is to invite mockery and worse.

Well many of the Iranian restauranteurs here have the word "Persian" in their restaurant's name, so it does not seem unreasonable to refer to Persian food.

Cheers,

Anne

I also know a number of Persians, and 'Persian' is their word of choice as opposed to 'Iranian'.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I also know a number of Persians, and 'Persian' is their word of choice as opposed to 'Iranian'.

I've noticed the Christians from that country refer to themselves as Persian and the Moslems call themselves Iranian.......they all love pomegranate, though

Hi Demi,

Nice to see you here.

I work in North Van, where there is a large Iranian community, and most of the younger Iranians I know seem to call themselves Persian.

When I asked one of them why, she explained that "Persians" tend to disassociate themselves with Post-Revolutionary Iran- many of their families left the country after the departure of the Shah.

I think Dave hits it on the head too... Persia tends to refer to pre-Islamic Iran.

I agree with Sass Kitty that North Van would definitely be the best starting point for research into Persian food.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

In all seriousness, though, please do post your thoughts if/when you make it to the Horsemen.  Cheers!

The Horseman is a fun place to go every once in awhile if you're looking for average but interesting food in an amusing setting. It's like an exotic Chuck-e-Cheese for big kids. You can sit at a normal table, but everyone save for the knee or hip replacement set opts for the pillow lounge area - low tables, comfy cushions to sit on and lots of draped fabric create a sort of Arabic tent illusion, if you replaced the cars going by on Broadway with camels.

The food itself is not wildly amazing, but for the price it's satisfying. It's a mélange of Middle Eastern and Greek style items (lots of flatbreads and dips), with an amazing variety of meat. They offer a lot of platters to share, so you can eat your way across the menu fairly easily. And you will never, ever leave hungry. In fact, it can get rather difficult to squeeze your stuffed tummy out from under the low table, and without the leverage provided by a chair, you sort of have to roll around like a Weeble to get enough momentum to heave yourself up off the floor.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

We must remember the Afghani food is very different from Persian food. I remember the persian food that I had as a child thanks to the housekeeper of a really good friend of my mom's, and 17 years later, I can still taste it. I was having a discussion this afternoon with a friend of mine from Afghanistan (actually, he was showing me pictures from a dinner that he was at recently) and we started discussing restaurants. He suggested Afghan Choban for good authentic food. This is also one of the only Afghani bakeries in Vancouver. I'll post a link when I get home.

For Persian food, I would suggest anyone of the locations on Lonsdale around 15th. They are all fantastic.

I know absolutely nothing about what constitutes Persian food, except for a fondness for sumac flavouring. Anyone want to educate an ignoramus? lots of lamb? Eggplant, tomatoes, youhgurt?

hi Keith Talent--

Persian (or Iranian) food is notable for, among other things:

--kubideh, a molded skewer of ground meat and seasonings, grilled

--faisan jun, a poultry dish with pomegranate seeds and walnuts

--tah cheen or tah dig, a truly gorgeous steamed rice dish with each grain canoe-shaped and separate, and with a golden, crispy crust of potato/rice at the bottom of the pot that is so tasty people mock-fight over it. :smile:

also, and i may get some argument here, the Shiraz wine grape originates in Persia.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

For Persian food, I would suggest anyone of the locations on Lonsdale around 15th.  They are all fantastic.

There are several Persian bakeries in this area. My mom would always buy the warm barbary bread and pitas. I liked to try all the different cookies. Some were too sweet while others weren't sweet enough for me, but the bread was always good.