• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Onion Bistro mention in Bon Appétit

I have not seen the most recent issue and thus cannot confirm this, but I just heard from a friend that the Blue Onion Bistro was mentioned in the most recent issue of Bon Appetit as the restaurant with the best value in Seattle.

Is it true? I'll try to find a copy and confirm this, but has anyone else seen/heard this?

PapaChef, I don't want to start any wild rumors if my source was mistaken, but I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS! That is fantastic news for your restaurant PapaChef. :)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Thanks everyone. It is very neat. The Best Value thing has kind of brought out some crummy diners and those seeking Cascadia, both of which BOB is not! GirlChow can tell you that this a funky,weird little joint with unhealthy comfort food!!!!! New Menu after the holidays and an unexpensive  New YEars deal!!!

Quote: from papachef on 12:04 am on Dec. 14, 2001

GirlChow can tell you that this a funky,weird little joint with unhealthy comfort food!!!!!

Uh, is there any other kind of food? Hahaha. I refuse to eat it unless it is 1)unhealthy and 2) comforting.

Tell us more about that New Year's deal!

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Michael Hood in the P-I today named BOB the most underrated restaurant of the year.  Cap, meet feather.

My, my, how things change.....at least based on mamster's review of the Blue Onion Bistro in today's Times. Too bad, I have good memories (of the food at least). :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 3 weeks later...
Michael Hood in the P-I today named BOB the most underrated restaurant of the year.  Cap, meet feather.

My, my, how things change.....at least based on mamster's review of the Blue Onion Bistro in today's Times. Too bad, I have good memories (of the food at least). :wink:

It seems the folks at BOB were rather piqued by mamster's recent less-than-glowing review. There's now a sign pointing to the men's room that reads "(mamster), your table is this way."

It seems the folks at BOB were rather piqued by mamster's recent less-than-glowing review. There's now a sign pointing to the men's room that reads "(mamster), your table is this way."

Oh, puh-leeese. How juvenile can you get? If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen!

We ate there recently, and Matthew's review was totally justified. In fact, I think he was a little soft on them, if you can believe that.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Wow, so much for the genuine friendliness that mamster noted in his review. Sounded like it was the best reason to go, but now....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Ack, I haven't eaten there since Scott and Sue sold BOB. The juvenile reaction of the new owners to a legitimate review makes me think twice about going back (and they are located across the street from my favorite guitar store, so I would have wound up there eventually).

I just hate it when restaurants can't take positive criticism (er, just go read the Irish Heather thread in Vancouver B.C. forum for an example of a restaurant that REALLY can't take the heat of constructive criticism).

A little off topic, but has anyone heard from Scott (aka PapaChef), the previous owner? And Sue, the pastry chef? What happened to them after they sold BOB? It seems they're both MIA.

edited to add link to Irish Heather thread.

Edited by girl chow (log)

-- Frank Bruni

That's excellent, although I think a sign pointing to the front door would be funnier.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

That's excellent, although I think a sign pointing to the front door would be funnier.

Yeah, I was gonna say, "I hate to tell them, Mamster's actually gonna love that!" but I wanted him to weigh in first. :laugh::laugh:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 4 months later...

So sorry to all my amigos that used to dine with me at BOB. Been a while since I have posted and this of course is my new moniker since I have joined the Hedonist Society. I get so many mails to my home address letting me know either:

1. How they hate me for cooking them a bad meal (which is not true since I sold it)

2. How bad the place has become

3. How tacky the negative response from the new owners has been

4. How there are single girls waiting for in me my area...which is ok since Sue and I our not together anymore (lol)

Good news is that I have put a bid on a new place and if that falters I will find another location. I am a bit rusty though...I hope it is like riding a bike. :wacko:

Edited by chefturnedbum (log)

A friend brought it to my attention that I was slamming the BOB. I really want everyone to know that is not the case. The place is different but still worthy of a try. They are new restaurant owners and it took a while to get their footing but if you are the area there is no better place and they seems to have their stuff together. With that said I relinquish myself of the place. I still get so many e-mails about it and to be quite honest I have not stepped foot in the place since I sold and really cannot answer any questions or do anything about the place. Any comments can be directed to them via their websight ..good or bad. One cool thing is that I have heard that have added a bunch more collectibles to see. Old gas globes, new outside dining and curbs that you will not break your neck on. My post sounded too harsh and for that I apologize to the new owners if they ever read it and for those loyal bobites.

A friend brought it to my attention that I was slamming the BOB. I really want everyone to know that is not the case. The place is different but still worthy of a try.  They are new restaurant owners and it took a while to get their footing but if you are the area there is no better place and they seems to have their stuff together. With that said I relinquish myself of the place. I still get so many e-mails about it and to be quite honest I have not stepped foot in the place since I sold and really cannot answer any questions or do anything about the place. Any comments can be directed to them via their websight ..good or bad. One cool thing is that I have heard that have added a bunch more collectibles to see. Old gas globes, new outside dining and curbs that you will not break your neck on. My post sounded too harsh and for that I apologize to the new owners if they ever read it and for those loyal bobites.

He's baaaaaaaaack!! We've been wondering what happened to you -- it's so good to see you here. Please keep us posted on where you'll be chefing next!

edit: for massive typos

Edited by girl chow (log)

-- Frank Bruni

A friend brought it to my attention that I was slamming the BOB. I really want everyone to know that is not the case.

I certianly didn't read it that way. You just said that you'd gotten a number of emails saying it wasn't good anymore. Anyone who's read this thread knows that many people share that opinion!

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com