• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

JUdson Grill

Wilfrid

This is just a snapshot rather than a report, as I ate there recently for reasons other than enjoying the food. I didn't sample much, but what I ate was good enough to make me want to go back and explore further. In particular, a plate of pork sourced from Ted Blew's High Hope Hogs, which was richly flavored and simply but expertly prepared. Slices of roast loin, a tender slab of "fresh bacon" or belly, some sausage, a rib; garnished with restraint. This really jumped off the plate at me, and made me think that the recent good press and word of mouth Bill Telepan has had may be thoroughly deserved.

Anyone had more detailed experiences there recently?

(Horrible high-ceilinged noisy space, of course.)

I sampled some (I assume) home made Veal Sausage from Judson Grill at a charity walk-around recently. It fairly exploded with flavor. It was the second time I've eaten something of Bill Telepan's. The guy can cook. Though I've not been to Judson Grill proper.

Nick

Although from the mid-south I have eaten a couple of times at Judson Grill in the last year. Once was a pre-theater dinner and once at the bar as a single. On both occasions the food was superb. One of my guests was on a delayed flight at the pre-theater dinner and came in late, the staff was so helpful and we all got to the theater on time. I am sure that Telepan knows his way around a kitchen and the front of the house is beyond reproach.

Inspired by the burger slide show accompanying Ed Levine's article, I've been trying to get up there for their burger, but I haven't had a day off at lunchtime when they're open. Has anyone had the burger, and, if so, how was it?

As I recall, Telepan seemed to be known for his work with vegetables (he was even on Cooking Live on a veggie show), has anyone tried those?

• 1 year later...

Wow, I didn't even know they closed. I ate there three times, and all three were truly terrific. I am curious also as to why they closed...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Wow, I didn't even know they closed. I ate there three times, and all three were truly terrific. I am curious also as to why they closed...

it was in the times the other day i think.

i think bobby flay is taking over the space (which i find quite nice...the space, not mr. flay) next year for a latin-influenced restaurant.

The surprise is not that JUdson Grill is closing. It’s that anyone would think the world needs more Bobby Flay

so says ms. schrambling here.

Edited by tommy (log)

it was in the times the other day i think.

i think bobby flay is taking over the space (which i find quite nice...the space, not mr. flay) next year for a latin-influenced restaurant.

Tommy, You are correct that there was an article about it in The New York Times. It was in the Metro section on Saturday, July 3rd, but it's no longer available on line without paying a fee. :angry: As I recall, the article indicated that the restaurant owners decided to close it because they wanted a complete change of cuisine and, to that end, they were bringing in Bobby Flay. Also, Bill Telepan, JUdson's chef, was quoted as saying that he has no immediate plans. I commented to my husband that, since Katy Sparks has left Compass, and they are in need of a good chef (we never did manage to get to JUdson :sad: ), maybe they should contact Telepan. :biggrin:

That sucks. JUdson Grill was a dramatic space, with a knowledgeable wine staff and had great food. It was a bit loud, and quirky, but it was a nice restaurant just the same.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I must admit that my wife and I visited JUdson Grill two summers ago on our annual stuff-your-face-til-you-can't-move pilgrimage and we were underwhelmed. Perhaps it was on an off night, or our choices were a bit off, but I know that since we only get a grand total of perhaps five nights a year in New York, if you don't grab us that first time that's it.

Not that the food was bad, it simply was not memorable and it didn't make us want to go back the way Babbo and Gramercy Tavern did.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

I had assumed that JUdson closed mostly for economic reasons. It occupied what had to be one pricey piece of prime midtown real estate. It had to be hard to justify the cost if the restaurant wasn't packed every night. To be honest, one of the reasons I liked JUdson was because it was relatively uncrowded most of the time.

The lately skyrocketing prices of beef couldn't have helped either.

thank you for the kind words, and the critiques. it is not a judson grill book, but i am doing a book that will be out in november. i enjoy egullet, and will post something about anything new, if that is allowed. but for now, my peach crisp is about to burn

thanks

bill telepan

p.s. shaem, how are you?

Sigh. So many places close before I can afford to eat at them! :sad:

I was told, in a old quest for pumpkin ravioli in NYC, that JUdson Grill had some excellent squash ravioli at one time or another. Bill, I hope you put that recipe in your book, please. :smile:

i hope to be making it somewhere soon

Mr. T., could you elaborate on this please? Is there a scoop here we should know about? :rolleyes:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

• 3 months later...