• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly and Just Over the River Review

CoolPapaBell

Here is a compilation of several posts I made at Atlantcuisine.com’s national forum relevant to visiting the parents. I think I edited out all the Carolina barbecue reviews and stuck to Philly metro in the compilation here.

I had to find out what the ruckus was about. First Philadelphia Magazine names an inconspicuous deli hidden in a Cherry Hill, NJ alley as best cheesesteak in Philly. Then the Philadelphia Inquirer visits 123 touted shops in the tri-state area and rates only one ahead of Chick’s Cold Cuts.

It’s certainly among the best I’ve ever had. I’ve had better-stuffed ones, but this is as good as it gets. I also had some of their chicken cheesesteak and that is the best I’ve ever put in my mouth. Go hungry and get a cheesesteak and a chicken cheesesteak.

Today I tried Primo’s Hoagies a multi-Best of winner in numerous publications.

My Italian hoagie didn’t justify it. A real hoagie or cheesesteak has either an Amoroso or D’Ambrosia roll. Primo’s was a little harder and not as fresh. I’ve also had more generous meat portions.

I made it to the new Citizens Park Field and had an excellent cheesesteak at Tony Luke’s wit cheese whiz and wit cooked onions. Yuz would love it. You can’t get food like this at the Ac-a-me.

I can see why Chick’s is rated No. 1, but I could eat Tony Luke’s 365 days a year too.

I finally made it to Fuji Restaurant in Cinnaminson, NJ rated by everyone I know who has been there as among the best if not the best sushi they ever had. Zagat’s, professional and posting board critics alike corroborate this claim. And now so do I. Though my tuna/foie gras salad was the only thing that fell short of sensational, my ika, uni with quail egg, unagi, hamachi, toro, tako were all much better than I’ve ever had in Atlanta. It runs neck and neck with Sagami as the best I’ve ever had.

Sagami and Fuji both lack the big city location that would get it their just due from Food & Wine. Follow the leader tourists are not likely to wander in either of the dumpy neighborhoods that have as much sex appeal as College Park, but I see why I hear comments like “Better than any place in New York or Philly” to describe both. Only veritable sushi fans need apply to either.

Many say Mikado in Cherry Hill, NJ and Morimito in Philly are just a notch below the above two. Mikado was also on the docket and proved good, but not as great as Fuji and Sagami.

I had my share of yet another food item very conspicuous by its dearth in Atlanta—Italian water ice. Coneheads in Medford, NJ actually best known for their homemade icecream stood above the rest.

PJ Whelihan’s a mini-chain lived up to its billing as South Jersey’s best chicken wings. The wife admitted the fact that she gets mild often = bland. She was very impressed that Whelihan’s was not. My meaty and tasty wings had only one false advertisement—the “try them if you dare suicide wings” were in reality between mild-hot. They are very conservative in rating their spice level.

However when I visit other cities, I lean towards eating at places that reports say excel in indigenous foods and/or a cuisine/item in which Atlanta has a dearth. I still have yet to find an Atlanta place with sensational wings. Whelihan’s not only would get an Iggy if they expanded to NJ but certainly would win one in Hotlanta if they had a location there.

Pizza Fresca previously loved by me not to mention two former coworkers of Tom Maicon was conquered early on my trip. Oh for pastries Miel Pastry from Robert Bennett the former pastry chef at the famed Le Bec-Fin more than passed the test. Among many items, the crème brulet was among the best I’ve had. We are driving out tomorrow and I think we will load up for the road trip.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

CoolPapaBell:

Nice report! Looks like you put a dent into several of the better eating establishments in the general vicinity!

I've always said that Matt Ito of Fuji could kick Chef Morimoto's butt in anything but a sumo wrestling match. Nice to hear that others concur. Personally I think Fuji is better than Sagami as well. Once for my birthday Chef Matt made seared diver scallops sliced horizontally and sandwiching a small piece of seared foie gras. It was possibly one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten. The uni he serves in a Chinese soup spoon with coconut milk and a dollop of caviar on top is also pretty close to heaven. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie there is a really snobby guy on the aforesaid posting board who is incredulous that lil’ South Jersey could have two sushi places that blow away any in Atlanta. Mikado is a third that may be as good as.

I try to educate the boy but he won’t listen.

I am very close with an international businessman who has eaten sushi all over the planet and declares that Fuji is “the best sushi in the world”.

Also last year I had the pleasure of eating at Kyoto and my buddy and I befriended a well-versed couple at the sushi bar. Having been to all of the touted joints, they actually thought Fuji had the best (non-sushi) Japanese dishes they had ever eaten.

If you have not already, get to Chick’s Deli. If you are not of the large appetite, bring a friend so you can share a cheesesteak and a chicken cheesesteak, because both are awesome.

Lotus in Marlton BTW is good for well-rounded Asian if you have a large crowd. From sushi to Chinese they do it all well, though Fuji is better with the fish.

Edited by CoolPapaBell (log)

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

I want to know how I, as a rabid sushi lover, have never heard of this place before, even in passing?

Can anyone link to a longer review of this place?

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I want to know how I, as a rabid sushi lover, have never heard of this place before, even in passing?

Can anyone link to a longer review of this place?

one link on the chef

Fuji website

a review, very detailed, but from 2001 (which may not matter)

Does this help, agbaber?? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I am very close with an international businessman who has eaten sushi all over the planet and declares that Fuji is “the best sushi in the world”.

Also last year I had the pleasure of eating at Kyoto and my buddy and I befriended a well-versed couple at the sushi bar. Having been to all of the touted joints, they actually thought Fuji had the best (non-sushi) Japanese dishes they had ever eaten.

I've taken both a cousin of mine that works in the film industry and has eaten sushi all over the world, as well as a native born Japanese friend to Fuji and both have declared it to be awe inspiringly good. That's good enough for me.

Most of the chefs I know eat sushi at Fuji (if they know about it). Another high recommendation in my book.

Let the nay sayers and they of little faith stay away. Easier for me to get a seat at the 8 seat sushi bar on short notice. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've taken both a cousin of mine that works in the film industry and has eaten sushi all over the world, as well as a native born Japanese friend to Fuji and both have declared it to be awe inspiringly good. That's good enough for me.

Most of the chefs I know eat sushi at Fuji (if they know about it). Another high recommendation in my book.

Let the nay sayers and they of little faith stay away. Easier for me to get a seat at the 8 seat sushi bar on short notice. :biggrin:

I'm convinced--an outing is necessary, and I don't have a car. Who wants to go?