• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris, conventional wisdom is rather narrow-minded; in that the only cheeses that won't fall into the fire are Greek (sheep's milk) Kasseri and Kefalotyri, Cypriot Halloumi (also sheep's milk) and Friuli's Montasio (cow's milk). Cut them into pieces as long and thick as your index and middle fingers pressed together. Moisten them with olive oil and grill away at steak-hot heat. I like to moisten them with olive oil and then roll them in polenta. Halloumi is weird (spiked with mint) but good. The Greeks squeak. Montasio is OK, but it bores me. Try the Veneto's Asiago, either the young "pressato" or aged Asiago di Monte. Alpine mountain cheeses (Comte, Gruyere, Beaufort, Fontina, etc.) will fall into the fire. Even if you place the "tranches" on aluminum foil, all you'll get is melted cheese. To grill a cheese, it has to have a waxy texture, and the aforementioned are about all I can come up with. Maybe I'll try a Pecorino Toscano like Rossellino or Corsignano. Maybe I'll try a Basque sheep's cheese.