• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Food Diary -Study in Italy

Ore

I do agree, the eggplant parmigiana today was very good, my two bites weren't enough...but I was trying very hard to eat in a civilized manner with all the students around me!

I think you are a good group in there...you should have a good time...too bad my damn backpack is missing...rotten luck...oh well!

What kind of trees Hathor??

Judy,

Yes...Hathor is in Jesi, I hope to meet up on Thursday and Friday.

That place you told me about in Sienna, Le Logge, really was a quasi awful meal.  It isn't your fault though, all your recs. were great, I just think the place had an off night because every one says this is THE place in Sienna.

If it was up to me, I would have gone to TanaB's place...but I was with six other Italians, not foreigners, and our meal was blahh.

I haven't caught up yet with the blog, but I will get there.  How is Firenze??

Ore

PS - Hathor, if you make your way over, you have to meet up with Divina!  Lots of fun!!

You didn't get to Hosteria Il Carroccio? Sigh.

It's supposed to be one of the places the locals know about, and love. Does this mean you also didn't get to the gardens?

Double sigh.

I know...sorry Tana...next time. A reason to go back is always a must. Tonight, my last Sunday staging in Italy...this next month is going to be interesting!

Anyone know how to get to Le Calandre by bus?? I have a reservation for Saturday the 16th of April, and will get to Padova from Parma by train, but a taxi might cost just as much as my meal...any help??

Ore

This is the story of Ore’s incredible journey in Italy with the Slow Food program, and shortly he will be moving on.

Ore, who I have finally had the pleasure of meeting in person, is a charismatic, warm, fun and respectful person and I will keep my eye out for your backpack. How odd!

I wish him all the luck and happiness in his next project! Ore, we fully expect you to keep us informed of all your adventures. See what you have started?? :biggrin:

As far as trees go… they planted, they being my husband and one of our partners, Seonaid, some sort of ‘landius” trees, and all I know is that one of them is crooked!! Anyway, back to the food:

So, as proposed I started a new thread about the Slow Food program, this way other students who have either been thru the program or are currently in the program can contribute. Tutto bene?

• 4 months later...

Wow...

It seems like so long since I started this thread. I am now back in Los Angeles and still cooking.

I met someone earlier today who just happend to 'pop' into the kitchen who read some of the writing here. I thought it was funny because today was also the first day I cooked an 'Italian Style' dish since I have been back from Italy.

I made some Ragu with pene (the only pasta available in the restaurant in large quantity). The Ragu cooked for about eight hours yesterdayand I made sure the side of the pot was nice and clean the whole time the two #10 cans of tomatoes were reducing.

Wow - that's it...just... Wow!

Hey Kevin...yes - abso. kosher!!

I am at Chapter 8 which is a steak house and I am the grill cook...far from anything I did in Italy, but a new and great experience...working on volume and speed, as well as concentration and temps of meat.

Hathor...cold...not ggod for the wine, not good for the shrooms. How is the renovation coming along? Put me on the waiting list!

It's good to get a handle again on you, Ore. You have provided all of us as well as yourself with a wonderful experience. Thanks.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 8 months later...

Ciao Ore!

I'm in NY until sunday, then back to the Old Country. I heard thru Darius that you were making some bangin' salami!! Bravo! We're going to set up the salami buying club in the fall. :laugh:

Hang in there!

I'm teaching some classes, doing a little writing and going back to work on the money pit of a tower.