• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marketing vs preservation?

Was wondering if you've had any thoughts on the topic of displaying cheese that has been pre-cut for sale but in a more cheese-friendly packaging than the standard plastic wrap? Sure, every cheese counter operator says that plastic wrap is bad for the cheese, but opaque wrapping like foil around paper is bad for business.

A local cheesemaker in the countryside outside of Philadelphia brought to my attention a mold resistant paper that they will wrap larger cuts of cheese in that they say will keep the beasties at bay for the lifespan of a pound cut. Has anybody had the thought to put a clear window in that sort of paper and market it to cheese counter operators?

I'm sick of getting cheese that has been pushed over the hill by its packaging.

Any thoughts?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I'm the first to admit that I'm a hypocrite. That being said, at cheese counters as busy as Fairway, pre-cut, plastic-wrapped cheese is perfectly fine, because it is rare that a piece is more than 48 hours old. If you're a purist, though, simply avoid any pre-cut cheese and ask if the counter has a holst piece and will they please cut your cheese fresh. As for the mold-resistant paper you have come across, I don't know. I've got other fish to fry. But thanks for the info.