• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ondhwa flour

rajsuman

I'd love to make Handvo at home, but can't find ondhwa flour anywhere in Dublin. Could someone tell me what this flour is and if I can make it at home? All I've gathered from Googling is that it's a mixture of rice and gram flours.

Thanks!

Suman

no idea Suman!never made it-just found the recipe-i haven't seen the flour either .if it's any help,the split black gram referred to again for the tempering is in no way differentiated so if i had to guess i would say without.sure others will be more clued in!

It's without skin and it's not called Ondhwa flour. Somebody may have corrupted it from Handvo. To be specific ask a gujarati shopkeeper for 'Handvo no loth'.

Handvo is pronounced 'Haandvoh'.

Suman, let me know how it goes. :smile:

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Gingerly, I checked with my grandma and here is what she gave me as a recipe ...

2 cups rice

1 cup toor (arhar) daal

1/4 cup each of urad, split green moong dal,chana dal

1 cup of sour yoghurt

2 1/2 cups grated white pumpkin

6-7 tbsp oil (though 3-4 works for me)

juice of 1 lemon

2 tbsp sugar

chilli powder to taste we use 1 1/2 tsp

1 tsp soda bi carb

1/2 tsp turmeric

1 1/2 tsp ginger paste

1 1/2 tsp chilli paste

salt to taste

Wash all the grains and soak them together for 4/5 hours. Drain and grind in the blender to a grainy paste ( i feel this give a nice texture) add the sour yoghurt and leave overnight. the next morning add the remaining ingrediantc and mix it all up well. Pour into the greased tin or baking dish, make a tempering with 1/2 tsp hing, 2 tbsp each of mustard, ajwain and sesame in about 4 tsp of oil and pour this on top of the handva mix. bake at 200 C for 30 - 35 mins watching closely the first time. When done the crust should be a golden brown.

Enjoy!!! .

As a child I remember eating this with homemade ghee and chundo.

I have also found that Handvo is a great way to use up leftover daals. You know the bits that get left in the packet and are not enough to make into a dish by themselves....

Thanks to Gingerly and Rushina for taking the trouble to type out the recipe. I used a combination of several recipes to come up with this:

i10010.jpg

I have never eaten handvo before, so I have nothing to compare its taste to, but it came out really well. And the mom in me liked the fact it's an all-in-one nutritionally balanced meal. I guess it's goinng to be a regular in our house.

One more question before I go: Is semolina ever added to it?

Suman

Hmm that does look good. i don't know if Semolina is added but you could give it a shot...

If you make it really spicy, it goes well with honey or and if you do not want to make it spicy, see if you can pick up chunda locally it goes really well with that.

Rushina