• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vacation in Maine

Varmint

I am heading to Maine Oct 1-4 for a weekend getaway. We are staying on Moose Lake which is near Hartland, ME off of 95. One day, we're going to drive over to Acadia. On another other we may drive south on Route 1. I have picked up quite a few places to check out based on this discussion - Thanks! I was wondering if anyone knew places a little more central to 95?

Thanks!!

Jennie

Jennie Auster aka "GIT"

Gastronome in Training

South of Augusta is Gardiner, about four or so miles off I95. It straddles a river and right on the bridge is the best diner I've seen in years: the A1 Diner.

The decor is classic chrome and stainless. The menu is upscale diner fare (incredible liver&onions, open face turkey, serious meatloaf, excellent sandwiches, flawless burgers) and served with flare and finesse. Microbrew sodas and beers, reasonable wines, pies to die for and a great staff.

Did a job near there and spent nearly two hours a day at the A1; $25 a pop for two. Try to visit but you'll have to wait for a table at mid-day.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

There is a reason the line is so long at Red's. Two reasons actually.

First the hype. But hype isn't bad. It is usually earned and Red's has earned theirs, and then some. Unlike some other places though, Red's quality has not diminished at all over the years I've been eating there.

Second, Red's builds the best lobster roll in Maine, or at least the best I've eaten, and I have downed far more than my fair share. It's expensive, but it is good value. No skimping on portions or quality. No fillers.

I usually go to Maine in Late May/Early June or Mid September to Mid October. Even then, even mid week, there can be a bit of a line at Red's. Locals. They too know greatness when they eat it.

Driving Route 1 through Wiscasset and not stopping at Red's is as wrong as going to Coney Island and avoiding Nathan's.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I am heading to Maine Oct 1-4 for a weekend getaway.  We are staying on Moose Lake which is near Hartland, ME off of 95.  One day, we're going to drive over to Acadia.  On another other we may drive south on Route 1.  I have picked up quite a few places to check out based on this discussion - Thanks!  I was wondering if anyone knew places a little more central to 95?

Thanks!!

Jennie

Listen to johnnyd, he knows his stuff from what I've seen.

If you're in the Augusta area, the town of Hallowell (next town S from Augusta on the west side of the Kennebec, just head south out of the traffic circle & drive by the Capitol) has a great restaurant in Slate's, a good more basic one in Hattie's Chowder House, & lots of antique shopping.

Not food related, except for creating an appetite - if you make it down Rt. 1 to Camden, & you're the outdoorsy sort, head into the Camden Hills Park just north of town, get a trail map from the ranger at the gate, & go for a hike. It's a really unique little area. The drive to top of Mount Battie is essential for the views, for my money the best trail is the one that takes off halfway up the drive across another mtn - there's a tiny little roadside parking area there.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

In response to Holly Moore's comment, I will try Red's if I ever have an hour to kill in Wiscasset on my way to Mt Desert, or if I ever catch it with a line that doesnt look an hour long. I have been to Coney Island many times and have purposefully avoided Nathan's, but that's because I was on my way to Tottonno's, arguably the best pizza in the country.

In response to Holly Moore's comment, I will try Red's if I ever have an hour to kill in Wiscasset on my way to Mt Desert, or if I ever catch it with a line that doesnt look an hour long.  I have been to Coney Island many times and have purposefully avoided Nathan's, but that's because I was on my way to Tottonno's, arguably the best pizza in the country.

Like there's a rule that one can't eat both a couple of hot dog, a side of fries and pizza or that one must eat just one lunch. :smile:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

South of Augusta is Gardiner, about four or so miles off I95.  It straddles a river and right on the bridge is the best diner I've seen in years: the A1 Diner

The A1 Diner is more than just a diner. It does have diner food, but also has some quite eclectic dishes. I've never eaten the standard diner fare there, but have always been impressed.

Jim