• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best way to make large quantities of green tea...

adegiulio

Hi, I've just recently been turned onto green tea. I'd like to make up large quantities at a time to keep in the fridge (about a gallon at a time). Whats the best way to do this without getting the tea bitter? I was thinking about just steeping the tea in cold water for a few hours (like sun tea) but thought that might make it bitter. Heating up a gallon of water could work, but how much tea should I use, and how long to steep?

Anyway, something tells me that somebody on eGullet does this already and could provide me with some advice.. :smile:

Thanks in advance!

PS...any internet resources for good green tea would be appreciated also...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Hi, I've just recently been turned onto green tea.

Anyway, something tells me that somebody on eGullet does this already and could provide me with some advice.. :smile:

Thanks in advance!

lucky you! :smile:

the only 'trick' to avoid bitterness is not to over-brew. but i happen to enjoy this astringency in green tea. so i make a huge pot and add a minute amount of vanilla-bean infused sugar, chill, lemons.

for intriguing variation, add a star anise to the brew. i also had iced chrysanthemum green tea yesterday at a Japanese restaurant that was wonderful. jasmine green tea is great iced.

i know eGullet member torakris drinks iced green tea. not sure how she makes it. torakris?

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I think the better option is if you can make a cold steep brew successfully - put twice as much as you would if brewing normally, with cool water into the container with the water and let steep in your refrigerator overnight - strain, and drink what remains....