• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk in Carnitas

bobmac

Would lowfat work, or is the fat contributing to the browning?

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Hmmm. in reading the great Carnitas thread: Here

I don't recall any mention of milk in them. However, being that Carnitas are basically a celebration of pork fat, trying to do them low-fat at all might not work...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'll wait for Jaymes to chime in - but I can't imagine what milk could possibly add - why are you thinking of adding milk to the mix? I think the recipe is to produce a tender tasty melange of pork bits - and I don't see milk as a part of the process.

The only thing I can think of that milk would add is a toasted milk flavor component. I am not at all sure what that would add. (Maybe something good.) Thinking about fat content of milk in something like carnitas seems irrelevant. Carnitas are all about ultimate frying in the pork fat. If you are concerned about fat, you shouldn't even be contemplating carnitas.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If you are concerned about fat, you shouldn't even be contemplating carnitas.

I'm not concerned about fat in carnitas (geez, I mean you start out with lard), it's just that low-fat milk is what I usually have on hand and wondered if it worked. The milk is suppposed to promote browning and crisp exterior.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Actually, I have heard of adding milk and/or cream to your stewing liquid. One (of the several) wonderful things about making carnitas is that there is no particular "right" or "authentic" way. You add what you wish. I've never tried adding the milk -- no particular reason, just haven't. And I'm often preparing carnitas for guests, so just didn't want to screw with success. If you know what I mean.

But I think that the low fat would work. I don't think the final product would be as rich and creamy as those with cream or whole milk or a mixture. But I don't think it'd be bad, by any means.

If you want to read more about it, google "carnitas receta leche." You'll find several recipes that call for a cup of milk and/or cream.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks, Jaymes. I belive a recipe you posted mentioned that some use milk.

--Nick DePaolo

The recipe for Carnitas Caseras (home-cooked carnitas) in Diana Kennedy's 'The Art of Mexican Cooking' calls for (besides the meat and fat): onion, marjoram, thyme, bay, peppercorns, orange and MILK.

The recipe she used was adapted from a recipe from 'Gastronomia Mexiquense'.

There is no specification as to the fat level of the milk.

This is the recipe I generally use when making carnitas at home and I usually use skim or 2% and I've always had good results regardless of which milk I use...you should be good with whatever.

It is possible it may be better with full-fat milk...if you have no concern about the fat level use it.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, the fat content of the milk may not matter. I am thinking that it is the toasted milk solids that are the goal here. Sladeums beat me to it on the Kennedy reference. I had just found it. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose