• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Restaurants

Folks:

I will be vacationing in Seattle the first part of September and staying at the Hotel Monaco. I am looking for the names of several upscale restaurants that can be recommended that have quality food, good wine list and excellent service (not tourist traps). Price is not a factor (its vacation) and location is no trouble (taxis). French and seafood are our first choice but any cuisine is appreciated. Basically, we are looking for the “Best that Seattle has to Offer”

Goatcheese

Don't forget Lark, Harvest Vine, Campagne, Waterfront, and Cafe Juanita.

But also, some of the best Seattle has to offer isn't necessarily fancy or "upscale". Thinking particularly about Matt's in the Market. Also, maybe Restaurant Zoe for something nicer but comfortable.

Le Pichet, Le Pichet, Le Pichet!

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I don't disagree with all of the above recommendations, but I'd like to affirm Le Pichet & Harvest Vine as just about my favorite restaurants in Seattle.

I've written a long review of HV at my blog: http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_ol...arvest_vin.html

website for Lampreia.

Nice pics but would it kill them to post a sample menu? I've still never been, maybe the next suitable blow-out dining occaision....

As much as I love Brasserie Margaux, I don't think I'd recommend it for a visitor looking for the best of fine-dining in Seattle because it lacks innovation. Still my #1 choice for quality, non-challenging, relaxed dining though... (Maybe I'm just being gun-shy because BM is currently getting beaten about the head and neck over on the web site whose name shall not be spoken. :sad:)

My rec's would echo many already posted with Union as my #1.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

But also, some of the best Seattle has to offer isn't necessarily fancy or "upscale". Thinking particularly about Matt's in the Market. Also, maybe Restaurant Zoe for something nicer but comfortable.

seconded on Zoe and Matt's. both excellent. Matt's will require reservations, big time. Zoe has accomodated me on walk-in every time, even a Friday night.

it's certainly worth doing Rovers, Campagne, Canlis, Herbfarm just to see what Seattle offers in that range. but my feeling is ... branch out.

Cascadia is an excellent displayer of regional talent. i think Kerry Sear is brilliant, though some disagree. (though i'm rather done with the Douglas fir sorbet.)

going slightly more populist, lunch at Salumi or at many places in the International District are worthy stops, if that's your thing. Pichet is lovely but not a Seattle-specific treat, save the wine list, which is a blast.

i'd generally say to skip most of the big-name seafood places. especially Ray's. after parsing their wine list last week, i'm on a semi-boycott. 150% over retail is simply unacceptable, even for the unsuspecting tourist.

but the one place no friend of mine can leave Seattle without dining is Palace Kitchen. it's not without its shortcomings, but i maintain it's one of the best restaurants i've ever seen for food-focused foodies, and a true symbol of Seattle dining. generally, you can skip Tom Douglas' other offerings, though i haven't been to Lola. (but i hear great things.)

still haven't been to Lark or Lampreia. i suck.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't see anyone mention Earth and Ocean or the restaurat at the Edgewater. Sit at the table inside the redwood trunk.

Da Captain

Other than a redwood trunk, what's the food like at the Edgewater? Seems like an unlikely place for a good restaurant, but locations can be deceiving I freely admit.

Other than a redwood trunk, what's the food like at the Edgewater? Seems like an unlikely place for a good restaurant, but locations can be deceiving I freely admit.

i've been underwhelmed. decent seafood, but entree prices are about $10 too high for the value. composition has generally been a bit underwhelming, for what amounts to a piece of fish on a plate.

the clams (or were they mussels?) were very good as an app, though.