• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Todd English coming to Seattle

Had dinner tonight at the Fish Club. We found out that Todd English will be coming to visit his business on Tuesday, July 20. He'll be throwing out the first pitch at the Mariner's game (they're playing Boston) and then he'll be presiding over a 5-course prix fix menu, which is $60 (or $65, I forget) a person.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

He'll be throwing out the first pitch at the Mariner's game (they're playing Boston) and then he'll be presiding over a 5-course prix fix menu.

He's not going to stay for the game? What kind of fan is he?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I can feel the overly pretentious vibe already.

The question is, what will T.E. do to home plate?

Probably a dot of coffee infused lobster custard on one corner, and a steamed fava bean on the opposite corner, with a smear of chanterelle demi glace in between.

Not to be confused with egullet veteran Ms. Ramsey

Webmaster, rivitman's daily axe:

My Webpage

It looked like reservations folks were not quite organized yet. I will be calling back on Monday. I will not be traveling to the East Coast anytime soon to try any of T.E.'s restaurants so this will be the next best thing for me. Again, the table will have 3 people for now. If anyone wants to join us please let us know soon. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Not only did he make an appearance but he looked like he was in calm and quiet command, at times in the open kitchen, actually helping to get out some of the plates of the table of 20 behind us. It was just Chef Wendy and I from egullet last week for the Anniversary dinner. Chef Wendy commandeered a great table facing the open kitchen so we could watch the drama and fun.

I know this post is tardy but I wanted to let you know the dinner was fabulous. The prix fix menu was $65. Chef Wendy and I ordered basically the same thing except for the desserts. We started out with a shared amuse of a large crispy scallop on a bed of cucumber salad with mustardy creme fraiche, chives & caviar all topped with salmon tartar. Course 1: "Beecher's honey blank slate" & foie gras filled spoon bread wtih blackberry madeira reduction. Course 2: heirloom Tomato salad with olives, capers, fresh basil & taleggio cheese. Intermezzo: "Gazpacho Blanco" with saba sorbet & basil. The white gazpacho was drizzled with aged balsamic and an jalapeno infused EVO. This was pretty good. Piatti Principal:slow barbecued Kobe beef brisket with fig & espresso BBQ, brioche toast, fresh figs, chilies & cilantro. This was the best piece of meat I have ever had. It was very good left over as well. I ate it cold. Finale: Chef Wendy had the limoncello chiffon cake with lemon creme fraiche mousse, strawberry-mint foam, berry gelee & compote. I had the peanut butter and jelly trio with chocolate-peanut butter molten cake, rasberry sorbet & devil's food peanut butter and jelly " sandwitches". I have to admit that Chef Wendy's choice was better than mine. I am really not a dessert person anyway. I really had a great time. The service treated us like regulars. I did not percieve any attitude or pretension. Despite all that was going on that evening, Mr. English did manage to stop by and sign my 2 cookbooks. (If Todd was in charge of getting our troops out of the Middle East, I bet he could do it with good speed.) Based on some the previous posts, I gather that some of you did not like the restaurant or the food. That's too bad. I will be going back for lunch to see if the food and service are just as good without the presence of Todd. Hopefully, Chef Wendy will add her $.02 as well. Sincerely, WL

Piatti Principal:slow barbecued Kobe beef brisket with fig & espresso BBQ, brioche toast, fresh figs, chilies & cilantro.

Oh be still my fig loving heart.

Thanks for the report - wish I had been available!

My husband, myself, and friends attended this dinner. They are in the wholesale food business and invited us to join them. Todd was charming enough to come over to the table and chat. He even introduced us to his wife. They are both lovelyand extremely gracious. All in all it was a memorable evening. The Kobe beef brisket was fantastic.

Edited by sserver (log)