• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tipping for Takeout and Delivery

NulloModo

Tryska, I don't know about Atlanta, but here in New York, delivery people are often illegal aliens getting paid less than minimum wage. At one time, I used to deal with a Chinese restaurant whose deliverymen complained about a ~$2 tip for delivery of one container of $5 roast chicken noodle soup. I thought that stank. But anyway, now I'm more generous (and, not incidentally, less poor). I generally tip higher on delivery than on eating in.

Pan, I'm in New York, and while I do make sure I'm reasonably generous on my tipping, I wouldn't think it appropriate for the delivery guy to complain about a $2 for a $5 item. Should you have to tip an illegal alien more than someone making minimum wage?

i've also always tipped 10% for delivery.  but it seems lately that the delivery people in my area seem to expect 20%.  what's that all aobut?

Mmmm, how do they indicate their expectation? :unsure:

Do they give you a dirty look when you give them 10%?

I tip on takeout and agree with Beans on the why's. Someone took the time to put your food together. I especially like those places that offer you a table and glass of water while you wait. That's great service!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question on delivery tipping and would appreciate your suggestions. I am now one of the people who is in charge of ordering staff lunches for 40 or more people. Todays lunch was from a local (but chain) sandwich shop. They delivered three sandwich trays and a box containing cookies, plates and napkins. Took him two trips from the car. The total was $180. So what's the tip?

Edited to add that I have lunch coming again tomorrow, so prompt responses are much appreciated. :smile:

Edited by Marmish (log)

In answer to your question above, I would call and ask the person you order from 'how they handle tipping usually' in these situations. Could be they have a person designated and paid to do this job, but then again maybe not.

Each restaurant has its own policies and ways of doing take-out and/or delivery.

Most of the restaurants I've seen that were mid-range in cost...had one of the floor servers running to put together take-out orders as they came in.

Usually this server was one of the nicer people on the staff...as generally the manager would not dare to ask a seasoned old dragon to take time from caring for their tables (and therefore the amount, ultimately, of their tips!) to put together these orders for pickup.

Usually if I get take-out, I ask what the place's policy is...(this often surprises people, but what the heck)...is there tip-sharing (very common nowadays and a subject in itself with pros and cons), or has a floor server put together my order. I always tip something..usually more if it has been put together by someone who has had to leave their station to prepare my order. This is a potential area for great inequity to the servers with a 'easier' personality, and should be addressed by management, but often is not.

Even if I order a (too-expensive) cappucino, I will drop a small tip in the basket if it has been served quickly and with a smile, as that is not always common practice and should be rewarded if possible...

Here's another subject to toss out on the table... what is the general feeling out there in eGulletland about tip sharing in smaller moderately upscale restaurants that serve wine?

I have seen situations where a server particularly knowledgeable about wine and able to 'sell' it would have ended up the evening with tips from a large table equalling at least 20% of the bill, with a very large chunk of the final bill being for the wine...a very nice renumeration... (and have also been sure that the party of guests had every intention of tipping the server in such a happy manner)...but the policy of the restaurant was to tip-share, on the philosophy that every person in the place contributed to the meal (including the kitchen staff...)

Thoughts?

These are catering orders that are delivered by, I assume, the same delivery guys that do regular deliveries and are ordered ahead of time. If that makes any difference. I would call and ask, but I feel awkward doing so, and have found when I have asked in the past, the response is generally, "That's entirely up to you." Which is not helpful in the least.

I have a question on delivery tipping and would appreciate your suggestions. I am now one of the people who is in charge of ordering staff lunches for 40 or more people.  Todays lunch was from a local (but chain) sandwich shop.  They delivered three sandwich trays and a box containing cookies, plates and napkins. Took him two trips from the car.  The total was $180.  So what's the tip?

Edited to add that I have lunch coming again tomorrow, so prompt responses are much appreciated.  :smile:

depending on the place from which you're ordering, tip a what you think the effort was worth. if the 17 year old kid is running through the rain with 8 boxes of pizza, and it's 80 bucks, 10 dollars doesn't seem unreasoanble. for 180, if the delivery person is working for tips, 20 doesn't seem to be too much. that's 50 cents a person. and if a company is paying for it, who really cares. it's a deduction and they're more than making up for the loss in added productivity if people are staying on-site to eat, and, presumably, conducting business and/or building relationships in the process.

... if a company is paying for it, who really cares. it's a deduction and they're more than making up for the loss in added productivity if people are staying on-site to eat, and, presumably, conducting business and/or building relationships in the process.

Thanks for the input, Tommy. That gives me a bit of guidance. I was pretty much in the ball park, I think.

It's a school, so while they are covering the bill on these lunches, it's not really the same as corporate in that regard. I also am not sure that they reimburse for tips, ever. We'll find out tomorrow when the business office gets my receipt from today, though.

i can appreciate if it's a school situation that you might not have the freedom or inclination to throw around cash. but yes, i do think that if it's 20 dollars on 180 (which doesn't amount to much more than 10%, which some might find insufficient), i still might be inclined to break it down to a per person basis to rationalize, if necessary, the tip. sometimes a tip seems like "a lot", but it's really not, all things considered.

good luck. i hope everyone ends up feeling good about the decision.

Edited by tommy (log)

i can appreciate if it's a school situation that you might not have the freedom or inclination to throw around cash. but yes, i do think that if it's 20 dollars on 180 (which doesn't amount to much more than 10%, which some might find insufficient), i still might be inclined to break it down to a per person basis to rationalize, if necessary, the tip. sometimes a tip seems like "a lot", but it's really not, all things considered.

good luck. i hope everyone ends up feeling good about the decision.

Should the policy turn out to be that they don't reimburse that, I will certainly still provide the appropriate tip, since I am the one dealing with the ordering.

What about places that automatically add a tip into the bill before it is presented then neglect to announce that fact? This has happened to me several times in South Beach. That is not right. I have learned to always total the bill if dining at a place I have never been to before. Then if they add before tax, making me pay tax on that tip, then i really get steamed. And that has happened.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 7 months later...

More and more of the restaurants I go to like Picnic, Lillykate, Provence, etc., have take out counters for the public. I really like this because I can see the food before I buy, then I can take it home and we can snarf it down.

Do people tip the person who is getting the food, packaging it and then ringing it up for you?

There's inevitably a tip jar, but my usual instinct is to just tip in normal situations i.e. - sitting down in restaurants, bars, hair cut, etc.

I feel this is a bit of a grey area because I don't tip the Urban Fair person as they get me a loaf of bread, or the butcher, etc..

What about if you order from a restaurant and go and pick it up for take out, what is the acceptable tip for that as well?

Delivery always will get a nice tip from me, but the take out situations confuse me.

Is there a rule of thumb for tipping in these situations? I am hoping this doesn't get moved to the General topic as I am curious about what people do in BC.

Screw anyone working within thirty feet of a paper cup with a smilie face on it and some idiotic saying about it being the staff recreation fund.

Here's my rules.

Takeout from a takeout place - no tip. The next time I tip at Starbuck'll be the first.

Takeout from a non takeout place - the change, couple bucks

Delivery - 15%

I have to agree with Fat Guy in that there are a lot of issues with tipping.

I often feel very uncomfortable with the process.

For example, delivery. Suppose we order a pizza and the bill comes to $15. I give the guy a twenty and tell him to keep it (which I usually would do). A one-third tip, not too bad I think.

Then the next night we order some food from a nice restaurant and the bill comes to $100. The guy has to carry a small box, nothing heavy, and makes one trip. He just hands me the stuff. Should he be given a one-third, $33 tip?

I can only guess he did no more work than the pizza guy.

What is appropriate?

I assume the delivery guy keeps the total tip and neither the FOH or BOH sees a dime of it in either circumstance.

Wish I could just go into a place, be given a price, pay it and leave.

But the system isn't going to change in my lifetime.

Screw anyone working within thirty feet of a paper cup with a smilie face on it and some idiotic saying about it being the staff recreation fund.

I hate the cutesy and unnecessary tip jars. (The person who checks your ID to go into a club does not deserve a tip for that, in my book.) Tip jars do make sense to me in places where you pick your food up at a counter and carry it to a table. I think if someone makes you a cappucino or whatever, they deserve a tip. Also, if they clear the tables for you, that's partial service; they deserve some kind of a tip and a jar is a secure way to do that.

I was just in a Corner Bakery getting a bowl of soup and I actually asked the guy, "Where's your tip jar?" They don't have them. That meant I had to leave the tip under my soup plate for the bus boy. The place is a zoo and anybody could steal cash tips off the table. Next time I suppose I could use a credit card and put a tip on that.

For take out, I usually tip a bit, less than a dollar, typically. The exception is the restaurant where I get take out several times a week near my office; I call up, they get my order up quickly, and never moan about the extra trip back to the kitchen. I tip them a couple of dollars each time, because they're providing me more of a service than a counterperson tossing something in a bag for me...well, that's how it feels, anyways.

Delivery is usually a two or three dollar tip, or more if the weather is extra-awful or it's a holiday or something. A delivery order for me is almost always less than $30 worth, and 10% on delivery seems reasonable to me.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I've got a question for those working in restaurants. How many places actually ring up takeout $ under a tipped servers sales? We own a small place that does sit-down service and takeout, and we've always just kept a different server code in our (rather primitive) cash register for take out. That way take out sales are separate and no one is expected to report tips on them. We do have higher wage host/hostesses to pack up orders, so servers only have to help with that occasionally.

I'm honestly quite surprised at how many people say they tip on take out orders. We see it only very occasionally. We would never expect it. And I hate tip jars for counter service. The only time I would tip a counter person is if I really felt they did something special making my latte or ice cream cone - and then I would want to give it directly to the person who helped me - not the staff in general.

Also - how many places actually pool all tips? I know that most places have tip-outs for food runners and bussers, but one big pool of all tips divided between all servers, bussers, runners and hosts? Don't think I like that much. Might as well just institute a service charge. I make tipping decisions carefully - and usually generously - but I don't want a 30% tip to my really great server to be shared with the one I watched chatting and flirting and neglecting their tables all night.

Tip jars do make sense to me in places where you pick your food up at a counter and carry it to a table. I think if someone makes you a cappucino or whatever, they deserve a tip. Also, if they clear the tables for you, that's partial service; they deserve some kind of a tip and a jar is a secure way to do that.

But isn't the difference here that those working at a fastfood counter in say, a mall foodcourt or a Starbucks are earning a full salary, unlike those working in a restaurant? If the person behind the counter is earning at least minimum wage or more and is simply pouring a drink, I see no need whatsoever to offer a tip. He/she is already getting paid to do what they are doing.

I'm a bit of a scrooge when it comes to tipping. I tip well in restaurants and other places where the folks depend on it for their wages, but I get seriously grumpy about other kinds of tipping - especially all the advice that "they" (who are "they" anyway?) offer for tipping around the holidays. You know, those people who go on the Today show and give the run-down for what everyone "should" be giving - $50 for the doorman, $25 for the garbage men, $25 for so-and-so and on and on. Give me a break. I don't like being told what I "should" give anyone.

But back to the topic at hand.....I don't tip for takeout for most of the reasons already mentioned.

Edited by Alysha (log)

• 1 month later...

I tip 10% on take out at a full service restaurant because somebody is tipping out or paying tax on that order.

I also toss a buck or two in the jar at my local Pizza place when I pick-up because they discount for pick up and always make sure my order is perfect - so they deserve an extra $1 or $2.

As a server I do worry that we are becoming "tipped out" as a society.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

I usually tip if it is a full service restaurant that does the bulk of its business in sit-down meals. My local pizza place and quick Chinese place don't have any waiters -- whether you eat in or take out you place your order with a counterperson. I don't tip for those restaurants.

Sometimes I wonder how tipping in restaurants came to be. There aren't many other business that are able to get their customers to pay the bulk of their employees' salaries -- although I am surprised more businesses haven't at least tried. :smile:

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I used to work in a pub/restaurant that was extremely busy all the time: As a waitresss I had 12 tables in my section with no busboy, runner, barista, or even anyone to pour sodas for me. People would call all day long for takeout orders and I would have to take time away from my table service to answer the phone, punch in the order, pack up all the food and acoutrements, and then deal woth the person when they came in. Most of the time I was left nothing tipwise for my troubles, and the take-out orders would result in lower tips from my sitting customers because their service suffered and because I didn't have time to ask them about another drink, dessert, etc that would've bulked up thier bill (thus my 15-20%). These non-tipping take out people were such a thorn in my side...

Drink maker, heart taker!

Ramodeo, about your questions:

Any sit-down place I've ever worked puts their take out under a server's number.

Most finer-dining and corporate places in NYC pool these days. Although, I know this is not so common in other cities. If server has really gone out of thier way for you, you can ask him or her if they work in a pool house, and if they do, tip 15-20% then palm the server in cash. Just as Sommeliers or Maitre d's get the palm, a great server can accept one, provided they aren't stiffing the rest of the staff.

Drink maker, heart taker!

• 1 year later...

Question #1: How much do people generally tip for restaurant delivery?

I recently had a tip charge of $11.50 added on to my Visa bill by a restaurant delivery company, on an order totalling $104 including tax. I always tip the delivery person in cash (to be sure that he actually gets it), and never more than $4 to $5. I was shocked and made a stink, one because I thought it was excessive and two, because I didn't think the delivery company should be adding gratuities onto delivery orders (for which I've already paid a $6.95 delivery charge).

Question #2: Do you tip when you get take-out? If so, how much?

I never used to, but lately most of the restaurants are leaving the tip space open, and I feel obliged to leave something. Should I be?

As someone on the other side of the fence (I deliver food for a deli among other pursuits), I'd consider a $5 tip on an order of that size the bare minimum. I'd think somewhere between $5 & $10 would be more appropriate. I do agree that both the particular charge & your lack of choice in the matter are over the top.

If you're ordering from a restaurant delivery company, they're probably pocketing all of the delivery charge & the delivery guy is getting nothing beyond minimum wage. Better to order directly from the restaurant if they provide delivery.

I'd expect a tip to be commensurate with how quickly the food got to you, tempered by the understanding that this isn't always in the delivery person's complete control. (If the kitchen is backed up with multiple orders at prime time there isn't much I can do.)

My regular customers know that I've taken the time to learn the roads in their area & figured out the absolute quickest way (which usually isn't the obvious route) to their locations, & tip accordingly - usually 10-15%.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

In NYC tipping the delivery guy is a way of life. Depending on the size of the order, the distance traveled by the delivery guy, and the weather, I'll usually add a few bucks, i.e., the Chinese place literally across the street will get a bare minimum of three dollars to bring soup and ribs over; if we order dinner for 4 - 6 people the tip will be five or six bucks.. The guy from Sarge's who brings over three large boxes, in the pouring rain, and who manages to keep the food nice and warm is getting $15..