• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tipping for Takeout and Delivery

NulloModo

Gulfporter - I am sure whatever is in the tip jar is split in most establishments - though I am not sure it is always split between ALL of the employees. But, then again, for me a 'take-out' place often only has one or two employees, and, in my experience, I rarely see 'dedicated' cashiers take my order or hand it back to me. Usually a server (or the owner/chief cook and bottle washer) comes up to the cash to take my order, etc. The Thai place I like is in a small corner gas station and has 2 tables but I have never seen anyone sit there other than to wait for their order to go.

As to what they are paid, I think that varies from place to place although I guess in some states there may be a 'minimum wage' - one that may or may not apply to the people we deal with directly I suppose.

I think if your order is $10-12 that $2 for takeout is fine (but, even that is probably more than many would 'donate'). I probably tend to be generous because I worked, many many years ago, in just about every capacity a restaurant (large and small) has need of. Tips are NOT mandatory - but, if you feel the service and food are good, just as you might tip in a sit down situation, I think it is nice to acknowledge that in some way.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

This review does more than I can to explain why I tip:  http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/10/29/i-review-pholicious-a-charming-vietnamese-cafe/

A month after opening last June, a nice young couple came in, ordered $30 worth of food (which is a lot, considering the most expensive dish is $7.95). They ran off without paying. “Two other customers, sitting outside, saw my sister running after them and asked me what happened,” says Bethany Tran, who cooks, takes orders and is a-glow with smiles. “One of them came back after they left and wanted to pay for the unpaid meal.” Tran and her sister didn’t accept the money but they cried and became good friends with the customer, a student, who wanted to make up their deficit.
The incident didn’t deter them from trusting and extending credit to customers without the means to pay a $7 lunch bill at times. “They always come back to pay us. The reason we do that is in the past, we didn’t have a lot of money. Good people took us in so I want to spread that around. My parents instilled values on how to live a positive life and love other. We never got a chance to pay people back so everything we do, our food, too, has to be honest.”

• Like 2

Cheers,

Anne

If it's counter positions, generally that's an hourly rate - It's not needed to tip, since the assumption with those paying them is that whatever wage they're making is on par with counter duties, not full service. I know some places leave a tip jar, but my experience is just if you want - I throw in money if they were kind and personable, but I don't tip in my standard 20% like I would for full service places, I just toss in a buck or two.

I still wouldn't say it's even needed - it's nice if they were good people, but it's not the same expectation as full service.

• Like 1

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

• 1 month later...

Having worked in just about every position in a restaurant, I think it is a nice gesture to tip a food counter person. Even if they are getting an hourly wage, it is probably minimum wage and it is a nice incentive to many that have a good work ethic to make them work even harder to please their customers. 

• 2 weeks later...