• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jeff Smith -- The Frug -- Dies

I met Mr. Smith once. Well, I didn't actually meet him, I sat a table next to him. I planned to say hello but this is how it went down: It was here in Chicago at the now gone, but not forgotten, Busy Bee restaurant. He was holding court with his pal Craig. His table full of uneaten pirogies (sp) because everyone wanted to say hi. After about the six or seventh person stopped to say "Hey", I heard him say - "None of these people seem to want me to eat anything." Not nicely. Actually, he was quite an asshole about it. And the poor woman just stopping to say hello seemed very upset.

I'm sorry for his family but personally, after that, I always had difficulty liking him. If the allegations are true, it wouldn't suprise me. He seemed far more interested in speaking to the men than to the women. I'm just saying....

Get the honey Junior.

I can understand why a celebrity would be annoyed at being hindered from eating; can't you? I don't think I'd bother a celebrity while s/he was eating.

Michael aka "Pan"

I do agree. But it was the manner and tone that made it most unpleasant. He could have just said "I"ll be happy to speak with you after we've enjoyed our meal.", etc. You really had to be there to understand just how nasty it sounded.

He didn't speak directly to this woman, he spoke to his companion as though she was not there. And previously he had been chatting up a fireman and praising him and his kind while this lady patiently waited to say hello. So he was fully aware of her presence. This happened about 20 years ago and while I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, I still remember this. It was that unpleasant.

Furthermore, I used to work near Second City and US Blues and I can only think or maybe 1 or 2 "celebrities" who behaved badly when people approached them. Most were very gracious and pleasant although they were often being interrupted while taking a big bite out of a burger, etc. There's a price for fame and if you're unwilling to pay, well that's tough. You wanted it. You got it. If you're so hell-fired for privacy, eat at home. IMHO.

Get the honey Junior.

A lot of celebrities do, in fact, eat at home. And not all celebrities do what they do in order to become celebrities. I think Jeff Smith did, though.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"