• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jeff Smith -- The Frug -- Dies

Jeff Smith Dies

SEATTLE (AP) - Jeff Smith, a white-bearded minister who became public television's popular "Frugal Gourmet" before a sex scandal ruined his career, has died, his business manager said Friday. He was 65.

Smith died in his sleep Wednesday, Jim Paddleford said. He had long suffered from heart disease and had a valve replaced in 1981.

I'm sure we'll be merging this with the entire Jeff Smith thread later, but I wanted to get the out asap.

There was the Wuzzut wi' him thread

The Collaboration thread

The original Jeff Smith thread

As well as several additional threads about Chefs as Writers, TV Personalities, Favorite/Least Favorite TV Personality, and T.V. Food Chefs.

I, for one, will mourn.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

I remember very much enjoying his TV show when I was younger. I wasn't even into cooking/food at the time, but my father was always watching cooking shows, and his presence on TV somehow was very soothing and relaxing to me. I know my father has just about every cookbook he ever put out, I Should drop by to borrow a couple and try out some recipes...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

He literally taught me to cook. What a shame. I always thought somehow, some way he'd make a way back.

I know it's easy to demonize people, but he must have some good parts about him. I sincerely hope this thread doesn't destroy what character the man had left.

edited to add:

Peace be with you.

Edited by Rhonda Graham (log)

WOW...this news really kinda shocked me. It's been a while since any "classic" food TV personality popped his clogs. Cancer? Where does it say cancer??

Smith died in his sleep Wednesday, Jim Paddleford said. He had long suffered from heart disease and had a valve replaced in 1981
Edited by Pickles (log)

I watched all his shows with extreme interest -- I credit him with my love for many ethnic foods that I would never tried unless I had seen his show. I hope he's gone to a better place.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My feelings on the Frug, Jeff Smith: with all due respect to Julia Child, The Frugal Gourmet, if evaluated solely on its own merit, was still greatest cooking show in television history, with apologies to the current spate of FN shows ... Mr. Smith, wherever you are, I bid you peace..... and the music still sounds in my ears .. the theme music used for his show is Water Music Suite, No. 1 in F major, Bourree - by George Frideric Handel ... will miss his smile and laughter ... :sad:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Always found his shows to be interesting and well done.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

If the allegations would have been anything but hurting children, I think he could have been saved. However, those allegations (and, personally, I find truth in them) foreshadowed everything the man had ever done.

In my own personal opinion, we all have a good v. bad complex going on in our soul, and it's sad that a very good man went down because of it. If it would have anything other than him hurting children, he very possibly would have been forgiven. I hope the man does find forgiveness and peace.

I credit the Frugal Gourmet for my interest in food. At a very young age, before I started elementary school, I would watch his show, fascinated with what I saw. It was my first foodie experience and I thank him, wherever he may be, for what he taught me.

When I started watching The Frugal Gourmet, I knew nothing about cooking except how to nuke a boneless chicken breast. Jeff Smith showed me that cooking could be fun, and I was able to make a number of his recipes even though I was inexperienced.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I am sad to learn of this, and ditto the praise given here.

I did not know about a sex scandal or accusations about whatever you all are referring to. I, too, hope he is at peace.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

As a chef I like what he did on his TV shows, he showed us what a big world it is and that there are so many different cultures with so many different food styles but somehow he bridged the differences we all have, I had the feeling it was one big global community when he was around.

Hope you found peace

Long live The Frugal Gourmet and may his believes of sharing food live on forever.

stove

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

My feelings on the Frug, Jeff Smith:  with all due respect to Julia Child, The Frugal Gourmet, if evaluated solely on its own merit, was still greatest cooking show in television history, with apologies to the current spate of FN shows ... Mr. Smith, wherever you are, I bid you peace..... and the music still sounds in my ears .. the theme music used for his show is Water Music Suite,  No. 1 in F major, Bourree - by George Frideric Handel ... will miss his smile and laughter ... :sad:

I'll take this opportunity to post a big "ditto" to this post...

I loved the Frug...

And I hoped that I'd come here and find the type of posts that are in this thread...

Salud!

bier.gif

Tomorrow, I just told my wife, I was going to do a tribute meal dedicated to Ol' Frugee...

I'm gonna do one of his favorites... He loved a good tripe dish, and I think he would have enjoyed my Menudo recipe...

Love ya Jeff, thank you, and I bid you peace!

cry.gif

BTW, this story from the Fox web site says Heart problem...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125243,00.html

'Frugal Gourmet' Host Jeff Smith Dies

Friday, July 09, 2004

SEATTLE — Jeff Smith (search), a white-bearded minister who became public television's popular "Frugal Gourmet" (search) before a sex scandal ruined his career, has died, his business manager said Friday. He was 65.

Smith died in his sleep Wednesday, Jim Paddleford said. He had long suffered from heart disease and had a valve replaced in 1981.

Edited by Mild Bill (log)

I think the cancer thing in the subject header was just a mistake. No sources say it was cancer that took him. It's the same Reuters story in all the papers, etc. Died in his sleep. Not a bad way to leave this world.

[Moderators note: For those who are wondering why anyone is talking about cancer, it was mistakenly part of the header. That's been corrected.]

I taped a lot of his shows. I still use his method for poaching chicken, it is the easiest and produces a beautiful result.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yes, Pickles.

I don't simmer for 20 minutes, I bring water or stock to a boil in a large pot, must have good volume of water or stock, put the whole chicken in and bring it back to a rolling boil then cover and immediately turn heat off and leave for an hour. This works best with a smaller bird.

A stewing hen is too large to cook completely. That would require simmering. I also weight the chicken so it stays completely immersed. (I have a shiny, stainless steel clad 5 pound weight - a flat disc with a hole in the middle, supposed to be for a dumbbell) Which is perfect for keeping a chicken deep in the pot.

Guess how I get it out.............

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I hope the Frug is at peace, finally.

Between the old Julia Child programs, Graham Kerr's Galloping Gourmet shows when I was just a child (what a silly drunken fool he was back then!) and Jeff Smith, I learned all about a world of food that was foreign to my mother's kitchen. I still have the bibliography of Frugal Gourmet books and refer to them often. The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors is positively brilliant (and there are used copies on Amazon for less than $1.00!). I found the cultural and historical information just as interesting (if not more so) than the recipes. The man was a wonderful and passionate teacher, and for that alone he will be sorely missed.

Jeff Smith, I bid you Peace. :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Wow, I just saw him last weekend at Frank's Produce at the Market. He was in good spirits and we had a nice chat, even if it was brief. He had gained about 30 pounds since he was on TV and his voice was a lot huskier. I'll miss seeing him around on his scooter.

:sad:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera