• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

$10,000 grand prize: best grilled cheese

Gifted Gourmet

The contest

It sounds pretty cheesy, but the search for the Greatest Grilled Cheese Sandwich in America is underway.

Folks at DuPont, the creators of Teflon, are looking for the best grilled cheese, and they're throwing a lot of cheddar at the person who has it: A $10,000 grand prize.

The search is sliced between six categories: Gourmet Grilled Cheese; Kids' Favorite; Most Original; Best Culturally Influenced; Best Regionally Inspired; and Low Carb.

Each category winner gets a vacation destination to a place like Disney World or Napa Valley, while the Grand Prize winner also gets $10,000.

The best sandwiches will be selected by cookbook author Laura Werlin, who wrote "Great Grilled Cheese: 50 Innovative Recipes for Stovetop, Grill and Sandwich Maker." She says all it takes to come up with a good grilled cheese sandwich is imagination -- and no microwaves.

Grillers can enter at teflon.com/grilledcheese.

I have long since discarded my dreams of finding the perfect sidedish for KFC ... mostly because it was so narrow in scope .. and had to be served in a small styrofoam container ... my culinary "genius" comes with a higher tab than a paltry $5,000 ...

now this grilled cheese contest is more like it! And the variations within the categories they are offering is much more to my liking: Gourmet Grilled Cheese; Kids' Favorite; Most Original; Best Culturally Influenced; Best Regionally Inspired; and Low Carb.

What kind of an exquisite grilled cheese sandwich would you enter into this Teflon competition?? :rolleyes:

Regionally inspired? Now I have to go through all of my southern cookbooks (only 1 actually!) and look for something distinctly regional: barbecued cheese sandwiches? Cheese and pepper jelly? Biscuits and cheese? :laugh: ah, Cheese Juleps!!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My favorite is made with my own Asiago cheese bread, buttered, and between the slices of bread is a slice of buttery Colby, a slice of tomato, a slice of Jack cheese, several Peppadews, and a slice of Wisconsin brick cheese.

Which reminds me, I have to order some more brick. I am down to my last 2 ounces.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can't believe they have a separate category for low carb. :blink:

My favorite grilled cheese sandwich is from Amy's Bread in NY. Every once in a while on a Saturday or Sunday I'll go to the one on 9th Avenue and have one for brunch. They are so good. NY Cheddar, tomato, onion, bit of some kind of pepper for a little heat, cilantro, and it's on Amy's WW bread. Mmmmm. A few weeks ago I had one and they inadvertently left it on the grill a little too long. They apologized all over the place and said they'd throw it out and make another one, etc. I took one look and it and said, give me that sandwhich! All nice and browned and extra crusty on the edges. Next time I get one I'm gonna ask them to burn it a little. :smile:

No one makes a grilled cheese sammich like my Mom. Rye bread, buttered, and Cabot cheddar cheese, thinly sliced and piled on. Non-stick pan with a bit of veg oil in it. That's it. And I CANNOT make them like she does. I leave them to her to make for me when I visit her. They're ambrosia to me.

Wow. It is too bad, for so many reasons, that the Oak Park Pharmacy in Raleigh, NC (and its lunchcounter within) has shuffled off this mortal coil. Mrs. Craig and Mrs. Mills, the estimable Southern ladies who presided over it, would win Best Grilled Cheese (regional) hands down, for their Grilled Pimento Cheese with fresh tomato and pickles.

Edited to add: They also did a mean Cherry Smash.

Edited by enrevanche (log)

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Iron kids bread, non-pasteurized-processed american cheese, butter in pan, weight on sandwich, eat with tomato soup.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

Open-faced with old, old cheddar and topped with crispy bacon.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

:biggrin: There's a long thread from last fall about all our thoughts on grilled cheese here :biggrin:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

:biggrin: There's a long thread from last fall about all our thoughts on grilled cheese here :biggrin:

Thanks for finding it, Zilla! Still, any one of those posters might have a perfect grilled cheese sandwich worthy of the $10,000! :biggrin:

Wow. It is too bad, for so many reasons, that the Oak Park Pharmacy in Raleigh, NC (and its lunchcounter within) has shuffled off this mortal coil. Mrs. Craig and Mrs. Mills, the estimable Southern ladies who presided over it, would win Best Grilled Cheese (regional) hands down, for their Grilled Pimento Cheese with fresh tomato and pickles.

ooohhh, grilled pimento cheeese! Especially from a counter (Buie's Pharmacy in Winston-Salem, also lost to history). My favorite!! :wub::wub:

I do think a well executed grilled pimento cheese could win the best regionally inspired.

How about grilled cheese and bacon? I ate way to many in college. My arteries are probably pretty well closed up.:sad:

Anne

Is this a good place to shamelessly plug my forthcoming new book,

Grilled Cheese: Fifty Ways to Make you Melt! (Chronicle books)?

due out in the autumn.

marlena

Perhaps you will sign copies for those of us who are not living within the vicinity?? :rolleyes:

Look forward to reading, and salivating, over every recipe, Marlena! Thanks for the "heads up"! :biggrin:

Is this a good place to shamelessly plug my forthcoming new book,

Grilled Cheese: Fifty Ways to Make you Melt! (Chronicle books)?

due out in the autumn. 

marlena

Perhaps you will sign copies for those of us who are not living within the vicinity?? :rolleyes:

Look forward to reading, and salivating, over every recipe, Marlena! Thanks for the "heads up"! :biggrin:

You bet, Gifted.......

I'll sign copies of the book, and even make you a grilled cheese sandwich wherever you are!

seriously: i had so much fun writing this homage to melted cheese and crisp bread.....though we settled on fifty ways to make you melt, for space considerations, we could have easily done a hundred recipes......i could write a book of the recipes left over from the manuscript.

thanks for........the salivation, and welcoming words.......

x marlena :wub:

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

seriously: i had so much fun writing this homage to melted cheese and crisp bread.....though we settled on fifty ways to make you melt, for space considerations, we could have easily done a hundred recipes......i could write a book of the recipes left over from the manuscript.

Marlena,

I will happily buy your book when it comes out; nothing in the world quite like a good grilled cheese.

As for the "leftover" recipes, unless there are some legal constraints there, I bet you anything that The Powers That Be at eGullet would happily host an e-book of surplus grilled cheese recipes. :biggrin: Paging the Fat Guy...

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

grilled cheese sandwichs from a counter, especially if it was pimento cheese, reminds me of the Byrom's Pharmacy in Milton, Florida. yummy with a nehi grape.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Very cool, Marlena! :cool:

I can hardly wait.

My latest fave is Butterkase (sp?) on sourdough. Last time I made it I had odd thoughts about sprinkling on some caraway seeds before closing it up. I have no idea where that idea came from. It just sounded good at the time.

Grilled pimento cheese is making me hungry. However, the accompanying beverage has to be a cherry coke... with crunchy ice.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Pare and slice eggplant into 3/8" rounds. Do the flour, egg and breadcumb thing and brown both sides lightly in oil. Layer slices of Fontina, grate a little Reggio, top with a few anchovies (or slices of prosciutto...optional) and add some roasted peppers to half of the eggplant slices. Cover each with the remaining slices and place in oven till cheese melts. Eat as is or stuff a loaf of Italian bread with them...

I guess it would qualify for low carb if you leave off the flour and breadcrumbs, but then it would probably be an oily mess as unbreaded eggplant sops up oil like a sponge...Probably could mist the slices with evoo and do the whole thing in the oven, though...Definitely won't taste the same... :wink::wink::wink:

despite the fact that i don't count it as grilled cheese without some form of bread, i do a fab grilled mozarella sandwiched inbetween eggplant?

grill the eggplant on the barbie, or brown in a pan.

Sprinkle with chopped garlic all around, then take one slice of eggplant and top it with a slice of fresh milky mozzarella di buffala, a thin slice of ripe ripe ripe tomato, a sprinkle of salt, a leaf of sweet fragrant basil, then another piece of fried/bbqed eggplant. Smash down so it holds together or seal with a big toothpick or skewer.

Heat in a pan or over bbq (pan saves the cheese drippings which are delish, you'll want to save them. on the bbq the cheese melts onto the coals and dissappear into a puff of smoke).

When cheese inside melts gently to a soft squooshy sigh,

its ready to eat.

yum. :smile:

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

I can't believe they have a separate category for low carb. :blink:

2 kraft singles (extra calcium cos that's supposed to help with weight loss as well) sandwiching pimento cheese. The singles don't melt right anyway. eat with fork.

I am a big fan of truffle butter gruyere.

Me, too, Daniel! I like truffle butter comte too.........

isn't the combination of truffle and gruyere/comte divine? I always loved the pairing of truffle and goat cheese and then......then i sampled a black truffle on a plate of comte cheese at paris' l'arpege restaurant. it was such a mindblowing combination that I extended it to my grilled cheese sandwich making repertoire.

mmmmmmmm. :wub:

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com