• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Eve

We visited Restaurant Eve last evening with another couple with very high expectations given all the “hype” we have heard about the place. Unfortunately we left with the feeling that RE was a bit more hype than substance.

I have several issues with this:

1) In order for Eve to be more hype than substance, it would require collusion on the part of Tom Sietsema, e-gullet, chowhound, etc. Probably not a conspiracy to promote the restaurant.

2) While I don't doubt that there may have been problems, all restaurants have issues on any given night. (Everyone in their chosen profession has issues on any given night.) So the question then becomes how to resolve it. If a place has a good reputation and something is not up to snuff, one would -- it seems to me -- bring this up with the management to be resolved. I'm sure Cathal, Meshelle, Todd etc. would love the chance to address issues before they get anonymously blasted into cyberspace. Unless a place is just truly bad and no attempt is made to resolve the issue, what is the point in a public trashing beyond...

3) The offputting practice of posts that essentially read "I ate at French Laundry, Per Se, Daniel, Maestro, ADNY, Tru, (pick a restaurant), and I eat at these places all the time and I didn't think it was so great."

I'm not questioning cigarnv's version of events, nor was I there like Don, but I do question this sort of drive by trashing of restaurants, which unfortunately is all too common on these sorts of forums.

Tony

Perhaps the lesson here is that no matter how highly a restaurant has been praised, one should always enter it with an open mind. Despite Eve's regrettable mix-ups that evening, I can't help but think that cigarnv's hype-primed expectations got in the way of a more independent and balanaced judgement and what could have been an enjoyable evening after all. In short, one may choose not to listen to "hype."

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

"You know, Michael Landrum over at Ray's the Steaks has a way of dealing with diners "from" eGullet. He has this special "second-class" service reserved specially for them."

Do you mean that mentioning you are a eG member gets you second rate treatment at Rays? Is it common for restauranteurs to "roll thier eyes" when one mentions eG?

I'd like to know so I don't start off on the wrong foot.

I would imagine that a mention like that goes over differently at some places than others. A "mention" in conversation is a different thing than saying "I'm from eGullet" or implying that you are going to be posting a good or bad "review" on eG. It is the difference between appearing interested and friendly vs. arrogant or pompous. Plus, I think representing yourself as being "from eGullet" is against the user agreement.

We have our fans and our detractors. Its pretty clear that Eve and Ray's are usually among the former. Others are a little suspicious of any medium where people can anonymously criticizew their work.

That said, I have always felt that as posters here, our obligation is to the people who might be reading the posts and not to the restaurant and their staff. If a place deserves criticism, then criticize constructively. But being open-minded and fair are the best way to go.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Took the family for lunch at the bar at Eve today. Had the bacon and egg salad, house-cured salmon, braised lamb shoulder sandwich and crepes with sour cream/brown sugar ice cream. All very good. Whopper Jr. was received as gracefully as full-size paying customers are and signaled his approval by napping through the proceedings and refraining from spitting up on the bar stool. So there's another vote of confidence. :wink:

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I'm a pretty easy going customer, who appreciates those who work in the restaurant biz. I just wouldn't want to put anyone off.

My husband and I had dinner at the Majestic in Old Town last Friday, and the chef was making her rounds when I mentioned that her pastry chef Valarie( I believe) gets raves on eG, and we were practically licking the bowl of our bannana pie that evening! She seemed appreciative.

I hope that by characterizing as "hype" what has gone before on this thread with regard to the food, service and ambience at Restaurant Eve, it is not inteded to ascribe dishonesty to the various posters on this thread:

Hype:

1 : DECEPTION, PUT-ON

2 : PUBLICITY; especially : promotional publicity of an extravagant or contrived kind.

The posts here represent a portrayal of various diner's experiences at a particular restaurant on a particular night at a particular table. There is no suggestion that I am aware of that those descriptions are in anyway deceptive, extravagent or contrived. Use of the word "hype" in this context suggests some sort of dishonesty on the part of the posters. If this connotation is in fact intended by the previous posters, I, as a frequent poster on this thread, demand satisfaction. At the least, clarification is needed.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

If this connotation is in fact intended by the previous posters, I, as a frequent poster on this thread, demand satisfaction.

What if you ... can't ... get ... no ... sa ... tis ... fac ... shun?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

If this connotation is in fact intended by the previous posters, I, as a frequent poster on this thread, demand satisfaction.

What if you ... can't ... get ... no ... sa ... tis ... fac ... shun?

Well...he may not be able to get what he wants, but of course, if he tries sometime, he might find he gets what he needs....

Tony

Just a few quick points... first off not sure who Todd was referring to but the reservation for our party was not placed via Opentable.

We did not speak to anyone next to us until evenings end when we were asked by two young ladies what we had liked, at which point we recommended the short ribs, rock fish and raviolis.

On another note I cannot recall anything negative being said to Todd other than the young lady serving the wine did not handle the situation in a satisfactory fashion. We made no comment of the other service issues to anyone during our visit. At no point were we rude and after all was said and done left a 20%+ tip.

If commenting on poor wine service to the manager is considered rude then I am guilty. If honestly stating the food was good but not great is being obnoxious, I am guilty of that also.

Edited by cigarnv (log)

If commenting on poor wine service to the manager is considered rude then I am guilty. If honestly stating the food was good but not great is being obnoxious, I am guilty of that also.

Whatever happened, happened. My only point, before this degenerates into name calling, is that there are any number of reasons why you might have had a bad experience that do not involve the restaraunt's reputation being nothing more than "hype." As Mark pointed out, that leaves those of us who enjoy Eve and have said so as appearing either dishonest or too ignorant ourselves to be able to separate "hype" from a genuinely fine dining experience.

Tony

Well, with the overwhelming preponderance of positive reports (on so many levels) about Eve, I am sure going to try it. I can't wait, and, if I like it (and I' m sure I will), I will post my accolades asap!! And I wouldn't take the "hype" comment personally. One person's hype is another person's lavish praise. Well deserved, it would seem :wink:

And I wouldn't take the "hype" comment personally.  One person's hype is another person's lavish praise. Well deserved, it would seem :wink:

Well said. I can't wait to get to Eve again. I still haven't tried lunch at the bistro.

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

I see that Todd is reading this thread.  I only hope it gives him inspiration to develop a new cocktail and name it "the hype."

Ahhh...and now we've moved onto something productive: what should be in "The Hype" cocktail and more importantly, when can I get one? (Also, if the Bistro is hyped, does that the Tasting Room is 9 courses of hype? Is it hype operating at another level?)

Tony

Toss, and serve in a

Highball with an

Emulsion of lime and ginger:

Hipnotiq,

Yellow raspberries, and

Pear Eau-de-vie

Shouldn't it include a Cab-Merlot blend from South Africa? :wink:

Anyone been to the Bistro lately. Is the menu that is online pretty close to what is currently being offered? What is Thrashers drink du jour?

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

Anyone been to the Bistro lately.  Is the menu that is online pretty close to what is currently being offered? What is Thrashers drink du jour?

They haven't updated the website. The menu posted is fairly old; on the other hand, it is kind of representative of the sort of things you will see and some of the dishes remain with different garnishes, etc.

Tony

Anyone been to the Bistro lately.  Is the menu that is online pretty close to what is currently being offered? What is Thrashers drink du jour?

You should call them up and ask them to fax you a bistro menu. The special on Monday was a duck magret with seared fois gras on top and mushrooms and sautéed greens on the bottom. It was served sliced and was rosy pink on the inside and well seasoned and browned on the outside. Kind of reminded me of the mourning doves from last September. Very tasty.

As for Todd's special drinks, there was nothing available on Monday evening when I was in there. I think the "not" chocolate might be making a guest appearance soon.

You should call them up and ask them to fax you a bistro menu. The special on Monday was a duck magret with seared fois gras on top and mushrooms and sautéed greens on the bottom. It was served sliced and was rosy pink on the inside and well seasoned and browned on the outside. Kind of reminded me of the mourning doves from last September. Very tasty.

As for Todd's special drinks, there was nothing available on Monday evening when I was in there. I think the "not" chocolate might be making a guest appearance soon.

Dear Gawd,

Why must it be that I'm never around for these specials on poultry/game? I, who like nothing better than a nicely done bird, be it from a farm or the darkest woods? I've already told you, I'm sorry about the drugs and the women, and, really, all of college. And that squirrel really was an accident; I mean, He ran into Me. I'm pretty sure it was suicide, in fact.

*sob*

Eve needs a Today's Special hotline. Or, hell, a fimbul-signal that will shine out into the night and summon me from where ever I'm keeping vigil.

Alternatively, my house-poor ass needs to haunt Eve more regularly. And not let the f***ing snow force me to cancel my reservations. :angry:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Eve needs a Today's Special hotline.  Or, hell, a fimbul-signal that will shine out into the night and summon me from where ever I'm keeping vigil.

Hello, you've reach Restaurant Eve. Please listen carefully to the following options as our menu has changed. For reservations, press 1, for a description of today's specials, press 2, for directions, press three, for hours of operation, press 4, to complain about the food or service, please call 1-800-256-9633.*

*Bonus points for those who can figure out the significance of the phone number.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

*Bonus points for those who can figure out the significance of the phone number.

I've already wasted, like, 2 whole minutes staring at the keypad on my phone, YOU EVIL MAN.

Obsessive? me?

:hmmm:

Edit: Obsessive, and kinda slow. :huh:

Edited by fimbul (log)

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.