• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Eve

Damn, I went into Eve yesterday evening expecting to have one of their fois gras drinks and they tell me that they are so popular that they ran out of the ingredients. They expect to be back up and running with them this evening. I guess I will just have to go back.

Thank God Todd changed his hairstyle.  I always admire a guy who is trying to improve his appearance.

Mark the cocktail will be making an apperance tonight and tommorrow

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

Well, I had the pear/fois gras cocktail Friday evening. Stretch's characterization of the method of its creation is not far off the mark. It clearly is a labor intensive drink, what with all the squirt bottles of essence of newt's eye and and fermented bat lice and eye dropper full of ogre snot that they used to make this thing. The drink arrives in what a would call a downsized pilsner glass with a communion wafer lid. The wafer has a disk of fois gras on its top. You hold the fois gras-topped wafer in one hand and the drink in the other (definitely you should order this drink early in the evening before the hand-eye coordination begins to fade). You take a bite of the wafer/fois gras and chase it with the drink, which is this pear flavored concoction that only God and Todd know how to make. The fruitiness of the pear drink perfectly compliments the wafer/fois gras bite. Who else but Todd could think up such a thing.

You better get there soon to try this as it will go away as soon as fresh pears are no longer available.

I forgot to add:

And oh yeah, I had dinner at the bar as well (somewhat difficult as the place was packed and I had to fight for a bar stool). I ordered the bacon, egg and cheese salad, which I will continue to do so long as it is on the menu (unless some special appetizer seduces me away). I love the way the yolk of the poached egg adds to the flavor of the dressing once you piece it and it runs all over the rest of the salad.

I also ordered the duck leg confit off of the bistro menu. But before the duck came, Chef Cathal Armstrong honored us with a taste of his special "wild scottish partridge." These clearly were wild birds because I had to pick a round or two of bird-shot out. These are tiny birds, on the order of a mourning dove. It comes plated with a piece of breast meat on one side sitting atop a smidgen of something with the consistency of a sabayon (Chef told me what it was, but today is Sunday and I had it on Friday, and now I can't remember what it was, suffice to say it was good and complimented the partridge breast)(now I remember, it was pureed turnips). On the other side of the plate was the leg-thigh portion that had been roasted with a jus along the side. I had to look around to make sure no one was watching when I picked the bone and started knawing (I did not want to let any of this go to waste). The partridge was fabulous and leads one to wonder just how it is that Chef Armstrong can source "wild scottish partiridge" in Alexandria, VA.

On to the duck leg confit. I won't mince words. The crispy skin with the succulent dark meat underneath is out of this world. It comes on a bed of lentils. This is clearly a keeper on the fall menu. You will go home feeling warm and satisfied after partaking of the duck let confit. Definitly comfort food.

Suffice to say that Chef Armstrong is not resting on his laurels. The man continues to innovate and bring to the Old Town palate (and that of the DC area in general) new and unexpected gifts.

I was in Saturday night and had the pear cocktail is well. It's definately all that and a bag of chips. Todd was also nice enough to make a hot buttered rum for my wife, which was as out of this world as you would expect. Todd said they will be adding some hot drinks to the cocktail menu. I want to say a hot white chocolate with candied jalapeno and some sort of spiced apple cider "sidecar" variation.

I also had the wild partridge and it was absolutely wonderful -- I think it was on pureed celery root, and there was fois gras in the jus, but I could be wrong. Regardless it was serious foodasm time. Also a wonderful chocolate dessert with pomogranite coulis.

Tony

i managed to get a table for late saturday evening. to say that my meal spoiled me for restaurant meals in the future is not an exaggeration. i had the duck confit and it was perfect. served with lentils, it just proves that a meal doesn't have to be all foam and deconstruction to be impressive. the service was impecable. i'm a bit speechless about the whole experience. i may have to sell a kidney to go back again soon, but that's why i have two, right??

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

i may have to sell a kidney to go back again soon, but that's why i have two, right??

Speak to Thrasher about that. I believe he may be in the market for use in his next cocktail extravaganza. Why stop at goose liver?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

What To Do At The Condom Dispenser

receive (paycheck);

note (disposable_income);

...select (dining_options);

......when (palena_chicken);

.........order (chicken);

.........eat (chicken);

.........note bill of ($9.00);

.........call (religious_experience);

......when (eve_pork_rillettes);

.........order (rillettes);

.........eat (rillettes);

.........note bill of ($9.50);

.........call (religious_experience);

......otherwise error;

...end_select;

religious_experience: proc;

hand (ten_to_server);

note (change_from_ten);

call (WC);

do number_of_quarters = 2 to (change_from_ten/25) by 2;

...call (purchase_condom);

end;

WC: proc;

fall (to_floor);

lick (grout_between_tile);

return;

end WC;

purchase_condom: proc;

first_time variable static binary init (true);

if first_time = true do;

...accept (masturbatorial_conundrum);

...first_time = false;

end;

purchase (condom);

end purchase_condom;

end religious_experience;

end;

Following Rocks' post is difficult. I went to Eve tonight, for the first time, with him. It was superlative. 2 dishes are must haves: OOO (oysters, onions, Osetra) . This was lightly poached oysters in classic Soubise (creamed onions) with caviar. The pork belly was sensational. Richly flavored and savory. Mr. Armstrong and Mr. Thrasher took very good care of us. Hats off to them.

Mark

OOO (oysters, onions, Osetra) . This was lightly poached oysters in classic Soubise (creamed onions) with caviar.

Ionmhuin sgríbhionn sgaoiltear sunn,

mór mbeadhgadh do bhean asam;

saor, a Dhé, ar aithleónadh inn!

aithbheódhadh é dhom inntinn.

-- Eoghan Ruadh Mhac an Bhaird

(Dear little one, a piece of loose-tongued writing here

surprised great starts out of me --

"We're free, God, from another hurt for us!"

putting new life into him (my spirit). )

The OOO, pronounced:

"Oh.... OH!!!! .... OHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!"

is Chef Armstrong's homage to Thomas Keller's Oysters and Pearls.

So I was in the bar at Eve eating lunch today when Chef Cathal came in clutching a box bearing a beautiful, fragrant white truffle. They have just changed the Tasting Room menu and one of the new dishes is a scallop with white truffles and risotto. Cathal took pity on me (I imagine I had a pretty envious look on my face after he gave me a whiff) and shaved white truffle atop my scallop salad on the spot. Mmmmmmmm...foodasm. (An emotion that ought to have an icon). Now I've got to hunt down a babysitter so I can get back into the Tasting Room. On a parallel track, the rest of the dishes on the Tasting Room look new as well, though I can't remember any off hand. My brain was too clouded by a truffle-induced fog.

Tony

After reading about this place for months - my wife and I are finally going for our anniversary! Woo-Hoo! We're going to do the tasting menu and can't wait. I'm not sure what I'm more excited about - Chef Armstrong's creations or Todd Thrashers' creations. Anything in particular on the menu that is a "can't miss"?

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

After reading about this place for months - my wife and I are finally going for our anniversary!  Woo-Hoo!  We're going to do the tasting menu and can't wait.  I'm not sure what I'm more excited about - Chef Armstrong's creations or Todd Thrashers' creations.  Anything in particular on the menu that is a "can't miss"?

The Tasting Room menu changes pretty frequently, so its tough to say. Did you let them know it was your anniversary?

Tony

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster.

My parents, bless their hearts, are taking me to Restaurant Eve for my birthday. They aren't the most adventurous people, so I couldn't convince them to do the Tasting Room. (Nine courses, too much, how can you eat ALL that -- I can hear their voices now.)

Is there anything I should definitely steer them toward on the Bistro Menu? I love them, but they aren't the most adventurous of eaters. Is there anything that might be a pleasant surprise for them?

They think most of what I eat is "weird" but I've gotten my Mom to go for Korean and Indian, under careful guidance.

I’m looking forward to posting more and adding my two (very amateur) cents in when I can.

Oh and the oyster dish, was that on the bistro menu? It sounds, well, divine.

Alexisg:

I welcome you as well.

The duck leg confit with lentils is a creation that will warm your parents spirits. I strongly recommend it. The bacon, egg and cheese salad is also one of my favorites. But, do not overlook the specials which will not be on the menu. They are always very good. Alas, the short ribs are no longer available. I would not recommend the pork belly for someone without an adventuresome palate, but it is spectacular.

Do not be afraid to seek out the staff. If you are not sure and your server proves unhelpful (rare) ask to talk to either Todd or Tami. Todd will be able to give you some help with the wines.

Mark

edited to add: There are two tasting room menus, the 5-course and the 9-course.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Hi there.  Long time lurker, first time poster.

My parents, bless their hearts, are taking me to Restaurant Eve for my birthday.  They aren't the most adventurous people, so I couldn't convince them to do the Tasting Room.  (Nine courses, too much, how can you eat ALL that -- I can hear their voices now.)

Is there anything I should definitely steer them toward on the Bistro Menu?  I love them, but they aren't the most adventurous of eaters.  Is there anything that might be a pleasant surprise for them?

They think most of what I eat is "weird" but I've gotten my Mom to go for Korean and Indian, under careful guidance.

I’m looking forward to posting more and adding my two (very amateur) cents in when I can.

Oh and the oyster dish, was that on the bistro menu?  It sounds, well, divine.

Here are some things I would recommend off the bistro menu from the last time I was there (things might have changed a bit), geared toward less adventurous diners:

Appetizers:

Poached Mussels with cider and shallots

Rillettes of Pork

Bacon, Egg, and Cheese salad

Roasted Autumn Squash soup (an excellent choice for a non-adventurous palate).

Entrees:

Duck Leg confit with lentils and sherry vinegar

Pan roasted monkfish with seranno and cranberry beans

scallops with bacon and sage

the pork belly and sweet breads are to die for, but may throw your parents if they are picky -- that being said, my three year old has eaten them.

If they really want to stay "mainstream," the ribeye with pommes mousseline and bordelaise is excellent, as is the roast chicken -- again, favorites of my three year old and my own not-so-adventurous in-laws.

Find out what the specials are and save room for dessert (the pear tart is incredible, as is the chocolate cashew tart from the tasting room if you can talk them into letting you order it in the Bistro). And do the pear cocktail with fois gras -- you won't be sorry.

Tony

Enjoyed the warm CiderCar last night. Linguine and clams offered fresh flavors which contrasted nicely with each other. Shreds of braised oxtail topped with a generous piece of sheared tuna was written about in the Washington Post this past Wednesday. The richness of the toffee pudding (pistachio ice cream on the side) needed to be balanced by the bitterness of a pot of french press coffee.

Today was a good day for artichoke soup, braised pork belly and apple fritters. Washed down with Minervois and strong coffee. The bouillabaise probably would have hit the spot nicely, too. Bad day for us barflies, though, as it was also Mike's very last shift before moving to a career where you can sit down on the job. :sad:

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.