• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Europeans tempted with biotech beer

Gifted Gourmet

The article from MSNBC

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Spurned across the continent by food-fastidious Europeans, the biotechnology industry has turned in its quest for converts to the ultimate ice breaker: genetically modified beer.

A consortium of the world’s largest biotech companies led by Monsanto Co. helped fund a Swedish brewer’s new light lager that’s produced with the usual hops and barley — and a touch of genetically engineered corn.

Brew master Kenth Persson hopes to profit from the notoriety his biotech brew is generating, while biotech companies hope it can gently sway consumers as European regulators slowly reopen the continent to genetically altered foods.

But those are tall orders to fill.

so yet another major EU concern .. and we are still focussed on national security?? not GM foods? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I will stick with ''Germany's five-century-old beer purity law, the Reinheitsgebot.'''

Why fix what is not broken? : : :huh:

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I will stick with ''Germany's  five-century-old beer purity law, the Reinheitsgebot.'''

Why fix what is not broken? : :  :huh:

I dunno but anytime I see the juxtaposition between the words 'Germany' and 'purity laws', I get some kinda chills ... :hmmm: but I know exactly what you are saying here, naguere .... quite well ... I do, however, watch with great interest, how this particular story "plays itself out" ... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"