• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Le Pichet roast chicken

• 2 weeks later...
The Le Pichet roast chicken is being demo'd at Seattle Cooks. Tickets are available at Larry's and I assume there is an online schedule at www.Seattlecooks.com

I went to this today. It was great, I got there when they opened, and had a front row seat ;-) to watch it all. he hacks off the wing tips and cuts out the wishbone. it gets cooked in a small sauté pan just big enough to hold the chicken. doesn't brine, uses regular butter, uses Brittany sea salt. he trusses the bird so tight its like a little ball. what amazes me is that the butter doesn't burn, even though the chicken roasts at 500° for an hour. I gotta try it now... he says its really important that its served immediately after coming out of the oven, otherwise all the juices run out and it will become dry.

The recipe for the gratin on the web site has a typo, where it calls for 1/2 cup flour & 1/2 stick of butter, these should both be 1/4 respectively.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Thanks malarkey!  Did you get to sample when they finished?

Who else did you see cooking?  I checked out their website and there are a lot of good recipes... thanks!

Did any other egulleteers attend?

;-) yes, we sampled, but I don't think we were supposed to, because Jim D. said "just don't let anyone see you do it" ;-) probably health dept rules. I didn't see any other demos, as I had lots to do that day and didn't stay real long. I was there with some other foodie friends, one of whom lurks on this board ;-) I didn't see any other egulleteers...

it was great fun, can't wait to try making the chicken myself.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 2 months later...

At the dim sum brunch yesterday, some of us talked about the possibility of getting a group together for dinner at Le Pichet. Since it's such a small place, I said I would call and ask how large a group they can accommodate. The answer is 8.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

This doesn't have anything to do with the upcoming dinner, but last night I roasted two Cornish game hens and had really good crispy skin. For some reason since these birds are smaller than standard hens, I didn't feel right roasting at 500 and instead I roasted at 450. Next time I'll roast at 500. They were pretty tasty and I didn't even brine them!

Let alone smoke them!!!!!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Both Batgrrrl and I were still a little hungover from the Super Bowl and were hardly ready to even put forth a 1/4 assed effort.  :wacko:  :wacko:

I did wonder what was in that flask she kept nipping from during the early music concert!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 1 year later...
I went to this today. It was great, I got there when they opened, and had a front row seat ;-) to watch it all. he hacks off the wing tips and cuts out the wishbone. it gets cooked in a small sauté pan just big enough to hold the chicken. doesn't brine, uses regular butter, uses Brittany sea salt. he trusses the bird so tight its like a little ball. what amazes me is that the butter doesn't burn, even though the chicken roasts at 500° for an hour. I gotta try it now... he says its really important that its served immediately after coming out of the oven, otherwise all the juices run out and it will become dry.

The recipe for the gratin on the web site has a typo, where it calls for 1/2 cup flour & 1/2 stick of butter, these should both be 1/4 respectively.

i feel stupid--please help. this sounds too good to pass up, but i'm confused. is this "the recipe" referred to in a more recent post, or is there a more detailed one i missed? also, which website does the above refer to? tried googling for le pichet's website, but didn't come up with the correct one. many thanks--it is finally cool enough to roast something!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

i feel stupid--please help. this sounds too good to pass up, but i'm confused. is this "the recipe" referred to in a more recent post, or is there a more detailed one i missed? also, which website does the above refer to? tried googling for le pichet's website, but didn't come up with the correct one. many thanks--it is finally cool enough to roast something!

Just call me the Googlemeister. :biggrin:

Le Pichet's Poulet Roti from the 2002 "Seattle Cooks" recipe archive.

(Note that Malarkey said there were modifications needed to the gratin recipe as posted; scroll up for info.)

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Just call me the Googlemeister.  :biggrin:

Le Pichet's Poulet Roti from the 2002 "Seattle Cooks" recipe archive.

(Note that Malarkey said there were modifications needed to the gratin recipe as posted; scroll up for info.)

~Anita

okay, you're the googlemeister. :rolleyes: i never would have found it, as i was unfamiliar with the chef's name!

merci beaucoup!

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Yup!

:biggrin:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera