• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Review of Fulton Crab House in WDW wanted...

pzjgr

Hello all...my family is planning to take a real "family" vacation in January to WDW. We will be staying at the Wilderness lodge, and one evening my parents want to do a nice whole family meal. We are big seafood fans (I always loved our two weeks on Brigantine Island every summer, eating at pierside crabshacks and seafood restaurants from there to Cape May!) and were thinking of going to the Fulton Crabhouse.

I perused their menu online and it seemed pretty interesting. I didn't see the bucket of blue claws, like they have at the NJ restaurant though. But I am thinking the Stone Crab claws may make up for it (have yet to have Stone Crab claws, but really want to try them).

Anyway, I have read some mixed reviews...so anybody that has eaten there, especially recently, I would appreciate your opinions.

Tough call... I think it depends on what you're comparing it to, and what your expectations are. I've been there and wouldn't go back for an entire dinner, or a special occasion, but I would go back for drinks, a snack, appetizers, or something like that.

From what I've heard, and I haven't been there, I would pick Artist Point, at Wilderness -- right where you're staying! However, it's not primarily seafood as it sounds like you're looking for... I like your description of "pierside crabshacks and seafood restaurants." Sounds like you're not looking for "fine dining." I have heard that the cedar plank salmon is good at Artist Point.

Fulton Crab house IS where I had my first taste of Florida Stone Crab Claws. They were good for a taste, but a feast would not have been affordable for me at the time. I thought everything was overpriced and touristy. I am very willing to pay whatever the cost for a dinner that's worth it, as evidenced by our recent dinner at Victoria & Albert's, but this restaurant is definitely not in that category.

I hope this helps, at least a little.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Fulton's didn't "wow" me like California Grill and Flying Fish. Artist Point is another good choice.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I ate there a little over a year ago. It is kind of a cool environment, in that it's on a big riverboat, but other than that it's not a highly recommendable place. The service is decent (as it is almost everywhere in WDW) but the seafood was only acceptable--not outstanding in quality or presentation, and somewhat pricey to boot. I don't mind paying a pretty penny for a decent meal on vacation, but I expect more when I pay more.

For a good seafood meal on the WDW properties, hit the Coral Reef in Epcot (assuming you have "passports" or can plan to visit the park on the day you will be dining there) or Flying Fish at the Boardwalk resort (if Coral Reef can't work for you). We are big seafood fans and were not disappointed at either restaurant.

I love eating right next to the aquarium at Coral Reef in particular--a more fascinating environment than aboard the Fulton riverboat, especially since it's somewhat interactive. Kids love it too, I saw plenty of happy families there.

Flying Fish is a brighter restaurant (not being underground), and we enjoyed eating at the counter overlooking the kitchen. The staff was very friendly and helpful there, and by facing the kitchen it felt more like a "grown-ups" experience than the remainder of the park experiences.

I remember enjoying a salad with braised duck and wonton croutons at Coral Reef, and can recommend the potato-crusted fish with demi-glace sauce at Flying Fish. If you're at Coral Reef you can hit the big light show after dinner around the World Pavilion, while Flying Fish is situated right along a boardwalk environment of beachside amusements that are fun to peruse post-dining.

I'll echo the general sentiments. . .we've had lunch there several times, as it's a neat environment and visiting family members always think it's a cute novelty. I found it a bit overpriced, and the food was good, but. . .well, I've had better seafood, and not at places as nice as that.

I'd certainly take other family there, for lunch or a snack, and I wouldn't tell anyone NOT to go there, but as others have mentioned, there's far better available in the WDW campus.

Coral Reef has been jam-packed every time we try to get in (we have season passes, and like to hop over to Epcot for lunch & then walk around for a couple of hours), and we're usually only there in non-tourist season, so any place that's full of locals is probably pretty good.

Have a great time, wherever you choose!

Diana