• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

crimes against grocery

Okay, who wrote in to the NYTimes ethicist column? Or has Mr. Randy Cohen joined the ranks of eG?

Purchasing mushrooms when I need only the cap, I sometimes discard the stem in the store, paying for only the part of the fungus I want to use. Is this acceptable? I am taking only what I need and paying for what I require; surely stem lovers can grab the stems for themselves. So how much mushroom should I pay for? Thaddeus Verhoff, Washington

Response:

I'm with you. That's why when I go to the supermarket, I bring my boning knife and trim those pork chops so I get just the meat; surely bone lovers can grab the bones for themselves. The store sets the per-pound price assuming people will weigh and pay for the mushrooms with stems as displayed. Were they to sell caps only, they would charge more per pound.