• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Chinese Delivery in CC Phila?

cinghiale

Ever since the demise of Noodle Heaven, I've been in search of a respectable Chinese place that delivers to my nabe -- Bella Vista. I've tried several of the south-of-Washington places, finding them at best mediocre. I've never had much use for anything in the South Street environs. When desperate, though, I've resorted to Rich City at 5/South -- until last night.

I ordered "Crispy Duck" and pork-fried rice. The promised 45-min. delivery took 65 mins. The food was cold. And that was the best thing to report. The "duck" appeared to have been fried, set in the cooler for several days, then re-"crisped". Shoe leather is too kind a comparison. Virtually devoid of any duck meat, it moreover seemed to have been assembled from several different remnant ducks. I tossed it after one bite. The PFR was as bland as the duck was overcooked. I resorted to mixing in packets of the chemo-condiments, obviously to no avail. Infuriated, I called the restaurant to complain. Got the obligatory "Sorry". Big deal. I shredded the take-out menu and determined to seek the counsel of eGers before again ordering Chinese delivery.

So, can anyone recommend a delivery joint with enjoyable fare, say east of Broad, south of Market?

Golden Empress Garden on 5th Street between South & Bainbridge (215-627-7666) is pretty reliable, as is Number 1 China (215-271-8982) in the little strip mall with the Wawa at 2nd & Christian. Golden Empress is "nicer" as they have sit down dining as well. Another one in a pinch is South Garden at 220 South Street (215-413-0200). Also has sit down dining and is a bit nicer than Number 1 on 2nd Street.

I usually just go to Chinatown on my way home from work and pick up takeout when authenticity and a fierce jones for something particular (Lee How Fook's Hot & Sour Soup or David's Mai Lai Wah Salt & Pepper Squid) strikes me. If having it delivered to me is necessary, then any of the three choices above are perfectly adequate.

(BTW - I didn't realize we were practically neighbors!)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I get those "No. 1"'s confused. There was No. 1 on South St., which is (was?) pretty bad. Then, the "New No. 1" on S. 8th St., which is only OK. I'll be happy to try No. 1 China at yr recommendation. Golden Empress never looked that enticing from the outside, but I'll try it, too. Thanks, Katie.

Yr QV (and not BV), right?

Yr QV (and not BV), right?

Yes.

The Number 1 I'm talking about is in the 800 block of South 2nd St. It'd be my third choice after the other two.

Picking up from Chinatown is still the best bet. Otherwise try Golden Empress first.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Pagoda at the Ritz on 2nd St. might deliver over there. They are terrific.

Also, our favorite noodle house for pick-up is NanZhou Hand Drawn Noodle House, 927 Race St.

The Chef makes the noodles right there in front of you, and its VERY cool to watch!

There was a customer once at a math convention at the convention center- from LA, and he was recommended to go there.... It's a hole in the wall, but the "show" is great!

Try the Hand Drawn Noodle w. fried soy sauce. $4.00 and great!

Lee How Fook is good too!

Philly Francophiles

Now that I scoot about, I go and pick up my own stuff.

Before that I used diningin.com and ordered from Billy Wong.

Very good and much better than basic delivery.

Kinda expensive though.

You've tried the place at 17th & south, right? I seem to remember you didn't think they were so great.

Have you gone back? Do they do anything well?

No, have not gone back. Struck me as just another mediocre carry out place. Have you tried them?

Nope. I don't generally like average carryout chinese food. It's not something that's a regular part of my diet, so I usually don't bother unless I can find somewhere good.

Like, szechuan garden on 15th & spruce used to make a really spicy szechuan chicken that I liked. And... I forget the place, but there used to be one with dumplings that I liked a lot. And in general, the place in the building that burned down at 11th & Spruce was good. I don't remember the name though.