• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fourth Anniversary Dinner

Liz26

Hi all!

Just wondering if you could help me plan both the gift (certificate) and the dinner (double duty) for my upcoming anniversary 7/15! (:

The thing is I would like it to be romantic. Price really doesn't matter too much, but I was wondering if I could work in the traditional gift of fruit or flowers into the deal. (I.E. Gift card to "The Frog and the Peach".) If not...oh well!

We live in Roxbury Township which is in Morris County on the border of Sussex, but I'm totally willing to travel. Last Year we did Tim Schaefer's Cuisine in Morristown and loved it! Especially because it was BYOB! (;

Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,

Liz

Zoe's By the Lake, Sparta

Amanda's, Hoboken

Nicholas, Red Bank

The Frog and the Peach, New Brunswick

An American Grill, Randolph

A florist can have the flowers sent to the restaurant and they can be waiting on the table when you arrive.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Village Green in Ridgewood!! We had our last eGullet gathering there, and I was really wowed by the food. Perhaps Rosie can post a link to the thread on it. And the nice bonus is, it's BYO!! I think it would be a lovely spot for a celebratory dinner.

And I have a crazy suggestion--you could hire Mark Sganga to play guitar for the night...that's what Anthony did when planning our dinner, and it was a wonderful addition to the delicious food/drink and company! You'll see notes about him on the thread as well.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks, Rosie! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

we live in jefferson - even closer to sussex county than you are

second zoe's - http://www.zoesbythelake.com/; in this case i would use redshaw's flower shop 973-729-5300

another place would be silver spring farms in mount olive(this is where i am going for my 50th) - http://www.silverspringfarm.com/

enjoy your anniversary where ever you go

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

You guys are so great! I'm thrilled with your responses, and visited each link plus read the entire strand on the Village Green...Gosh, I'm hungry (and thirsty :wink: ) after reading that one! I've heard wonderful things about Silver Springs Farm...actually I live very close to there. However, I'm wondering about the portion sizes not only there, but at Zoe's and the Village Green...? Hubby has a large appetite and doesn't want to spend good money on a few bites. I was actually looking at the tasting menu at Zoe's on the 14th...but you guys have convinced me that one way or another I must try the Village Green.

Oooh! What to do?!

If husband has a large appetite than go to both restaurants on the same night! :wink: Haven't been to Silver Spring Farm in years so I can't comment on that but would be interested in your opinion if you go there. Zoe's has outside dining weather permitting. Village Green is BYO. Zoe's isn't. Both places are excellent.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

it's certainly a bit more romantic than Tim Schaefer's, so perhaps it'll suit your needs.

Exactly why I mentioned it! And agreed re: the group of eGs, but unless you tell us what night you're going, we won't show up. Heehee :biggrin: I just really enjoyed the vibe of that place. Even without the 17 glasses of wine!

Another place you might want to consider is Restaurant Serenade in Chatham, aka restaurantserenade.com

I mention this in part because you can get a gift certificate online via the site. Once you enter the appropriate info, they'll send you the personalized gift certificate via USnail.

Another place that'll help you arrange for flowers to "arrive" for dinner is The Bernards Inn. We once had a dinner there (a few years ago) where we saw one table decorated in flowers and petals before the couple arrived. (I believe someone was going to pop the question that evening.)

Also, The Ryland Inn asks then you make the reservation whether it's for s "special event." A rep calls a few days before to inquire whether there's anything special they can do. In my case, when I asked, "such as?" they responded with suggestions like flowers on the table, champagne, a tour of the gardens, or a tour of kitchen. In our case, I only needed to stop when I heard the offer of the kitchen tour - the occasion was Ken's 50th birthday (and for those who don't know, he's the cook). When the server came up to us before dessert saying, "We'll take you on your tour mow," Ken was absolutely floored! :)

Happy Anniversary - and enjoy!

However, I'm wondering about the portion sizes not only there, but at Zoe's and the Village Green...? Hubby has a large appetite and doesn't want to spend good money on a few bites.

i just spoke with a coworker who has eaten at silver spring farms and zoe's - she considers silver spring farms to be a bit better and said the portions there were a bit on the large side. i've eaten at zoe's several times and have found them perfect so you can enjoy an appetizer, entree and dessert. for the duck there was a breast and a leg done in confit, about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of the spaetzle and about the same amount of veg.

i'm headed there for dinner after work tonight - they have a chipotle barbecued pork tenderloin and a beet and blue cheese salad i have my eye on - and will let you know if i change my mind about the portion sizes.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Cinque Figlie in Whippany or Pierre's in Morristown. Or any of the resturants Rosie mentioned.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Well, I guess all my "pals" on egullet forgot about me since I haven't been posting lately but I would be more than happy to help you celebrate. If you like, as other will note, you may bring your own wine and I'll decant it for you. Also, you'd have the option of having a cocktail either before or after dinner in our lounge. Our website is www.anamericangrill.com. We're also 5 minutes from Roxbury. As for flowers, I have a couple of florists I deal with on a regular basis. Whatever you decide I hope you hhave a wonderful anniversary.

Lou

Amanda's, Hoboken

Nicholas, Red Bank

A florist can have the flowers sent to the restaurant and they can be waiting on the table when you arrive.

Lou--You need a new pair of glasses. :biggrin:

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Well, I'LL offer an apology to Lou--I read the initial post and thought she wanted a BYO, which is why I immediately thought of VG. I always forget that you guys with liquor licenses can still allow someone to bring their own wine.

Liz, AAG would be a WONDERFUL option, and not nearly as long a drive as VG. Lou and his staff will take care of you--of that you can be sure! :biggrin:

Amanda's, Hoboken

Nicholas, Red Bank

Lou--You need a new pair of glasses. :biggrin:

Oops, my bad.

Sorry Rosie.

I was trying to catch up too quickly after being away with the kids. :wacko:

Gosh! You know the funny thing??? I was just talking to my neighbor on Wednesday about An American Grill...I was raving about a new Thai restaurant in Rockaway..surprisingly good food for "up here". I'm originally from Kearny and have not been too satisfied with the restaurants up here since the move. Anyway, my neighbor was saying that An American Grill was excellent...and his wife's favorite. I said that I had heard that and was dying to go...just wasn't sure if it was kid friendly and hadn't had the opportunity to get a babysitter yet so I could try it out! (: Now you guys are mentioning it. I MUST GO! Just not sure about the anniversary thing. After reading Rosie's NEW post on Zoe's by the Lake, I think that I'm convinced! However, I definitely will be going to An American Grill, soon! Could someone please let me know about the kid thing. My children are 1 and 2, but very used to behaving in decent restaurants. Last night, we did Moroccan in Budd Lake. The food was enh...but my daughter LOVED the 'princess" AKA Belly Dancer!

Thanks to all of you guys for all of your wonderful advice!

WOW!

LIZ26--Can you give us the name of the new Thai in Rockaway and the Moroccann in Budd Lake. Address and phone # also.

If I was going to Lou's restaurant with very young children I would go very early in the evening. It's not a casual restaurant like Friday's.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Liz, You whatever bring those children whatever time you like, they won't disturb anyone, believe it or not we are actually very kid-friendly. It's funny, I had kids graduating from high school this year who were such small kids when I opened. It's actually kind of cool except it makes me feel slightly old.

We'd also like the # of the belly dancer. It certainly couldn't be Rosie though as I think she only reaches my thighs. Now that I think of it, where is the new thai place in Rockaway? Maybe I'll go tonight.

Lou

Here's two more names to throw into the hopper.

1. Chez Matisse in Rutherford. Eating outside in their garden with all the fountains personafies romance in my book. Dinner there isn't cheap but the

total experience is lst rate

2. Rendezvous in Kenilworth. Here eating inside with the excellent French food

and the French country atmosphere is a perfect match.