• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your "oh-my-this-is-good" burger

I have been watching your shows, reading your books, at eating your food for awhile and would just like to thank you for above all us just being yourself - being open and teaching all that you know.

Now on to my question. I am working towards opening a tiny burger/hot dog counter and was curious what your ideal burger is like ? Any burgers in nyc make you go wow?

Thank you for sharing with this forum - hope to meet you one of these days - hey maybe at babbo (can I wear shorts?)

yes you can wear shorts!!!! a perfect burger needs to have started out with enough fat to render out while leaving its greasy fat flavor in the moist hot meat, i like 25 % fta in the ground chuck i like for burgers ... it should either be chargrilled, broiled, or cooked on a flat griddle and turned only once to get maximum char on the first cook side... it shouldbe seasoned aggressively on the way to the heat source on both sides and should be served on a bun that respects the balance of meat to bread ratio... it should go to the edge, but not much further and the bun should not be over whelmed by the meat.. it is a sandwich after all.... condiments should all be offered on the side unless you have a special sauce to sneak on there... my faves in nyc are at corner bistro, peter luger and the turkey burger at blue ribbon mb