• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Enclume

Tarka....went for dinner at L'Enclume on Tuesday. Truly memorable meal, the 8 course Taste and Texture £50 job.

I would love to hear about it. Are we going to see a posting of your experience?

Tarka....went for dinner at L'Enclume on Tuesday. Truly memorable meal, the 8 course Taste and Texture £50 job. I have a copy of the menu but it's on their website anyway. Extra £5 for coffee/tea with wonderful extras and £10 for the most magnificent French cheese board. As has been said, the small crew work really hard and clearly believe in what they are doing. Meal was something of a performance but in no way was it pretentious...just a firm belief in drawing out interesting textures and flavours. Good solid wine list, with some intersting bins from Austria, the Jura, amongst others. Can't recommend it enough. Rooms too, so no need to worry about drinking and driving!

we're going to stay over and put our hands into the railtrack gods. i'm really looking forward to going.

are there any dishes that stand out in your mind that were especially good?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Tarka , most of what you`ll eat on your visit to L`enclume will be enjoyably different and hopefully a new experience for you.The dish that stood out on my 23 course as my most enjoyable was "cubes from land and sea, eucalyptus hollendaise" .A fantastic flavour to add to a classic sauce.Very difficult to re-create at home as I`m finding eucalyptus impossible to source.

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Going up to the restuarant today, can't wait! Been looking forward to it for ages, although the 6 and a half hor train journey is in front of me.... :blink:

Will give a little review as soon as I can!

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

• 3 weeks later...

STOP PRESS LENCLUME FANS. :cool:

Bit of inside information on the new Lenclume menu from my Cartmel spy. The menu is due to start next week and has some favourites from the menus throughout 2004 alongside some adventurous new dishes. Here are a few dishes that caught my eye from Simons new 20 course gourmand menu -

Cubism in foie gras , two cold , one hot ( likely to be a bon bon with a hot melting foie gras filling,a pate , and a parfait/ice cream) these will be accompanied by cantaloupe , fragrant myrrh , and almond cake.

Sea scallops , bacon polenta , cauliflower crunch , passion fruit , hibiscus sweet.

Cubes from land and sea ( lobster , scallops , chanterelle , eucalyptus hollendaise.(my favourite dish .....ever)

Roasted langoustine , long slim puffs , galangal foam , blobs here and there (work that one out)

Brill fillet cooked in clay with girolles and wild coltsfoot milk

"Tuber shaker" wondrous fizz from nature

Loin of lamb , grains of paradise , aubergine , butternut confit , cumin bouillon

Burnt asparagus cream pot with rasperry turkish

Melting fig fondant , cassia bark , icy fennel , spice

And......as a finale , how about........

Chocolate mayhem , no more voices.

Cant wait to try the menu, I`ll be putting it on my website www.sped98.freeserve.co.uk just as soon as it hits the tables in the next week or so.

Cheers Alan :biggrin:

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

• 1 month later...
Looking through the thread, there’s an uncomfortable number of people seem to talk about going to L`Enclume and then they never return. Are “Rumblies Pies” on the menu?

Good point, but I made it back.

Definitely with Master Coren on this one, l'Enclume is one of the best in Britain, and Simon Rogan is our Pierre Gagnaire.

I think the only problem that Rogan has is that he really is in the middle of nowhere. I know that this doesn't matter in France, but seeing as a high percentage of those who would be attracted to his food must be based around London, then he's got his work cut out.

Anyway, hopefully this review will send a few punters his way, more so since they can break the journey at Anthony's in Leeds.

Looking through the thread, there’s an uncomfortable number of people seem to talk about going to L`Enclume and then they never return. Are “Rumblies Pies” on the menu?

So I've googled "Rumblies Pies" and I get a link to the Blackadder forums but there's no other mentions and the forums didn't tell me anything other than that it's a sketch and black pudding may be involved. As an aside, it was the closest I've got to a googlewhack without trying; three results.

My previous trip to L'Enclume was cancelled because of work, however I'm going on the 29th so this time will report back. It really, totally seems to be in the middle of nowhere and seeing as I can't drive I'm in the hands of Railtrack to get me there. Please wish me luck.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

"Rumbley's Pies" (sorry for the previous spelling) was a sketch from Not the Nine O'Clock news where the kids sent to work in a pie factory were "mysteriously" disappearing. Hence the worry about people never coming back to write a review.

[When I was but a child...] From the end of the 1970's to the middle of the 1980's I used to live just 30km from Cartmel. (Millom: Cumbria's wife-swapping and suicide capital.) It is a hideously remote location for anything. They certainly won't be getting much in the way of passing trade. But if The Three Chimney's can do it on Skye, then fingers crossed the l'Enclume team can do it in Cartmel.

My parents live a 70 minute drive (according to viaMichelin) from l'Enclume. I was going to take them to Paul Heathcote's place (Longridge) as a Christmas present, but l'Enclume looks much more tempting. Plus they have somewhere to land my helicopter. That will be handy!

I think that if you want to go over Christmas you might want to call them now. They are closed (I think) on the Monday and Tuesday after Christmas and were very booked up other nights. I've ended up staying in a B&B down the way as they had no rooms either (less of a problem for you I'm guessing)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

I'll probably try for a quiet February booking. Something to look forward to when it's going to be horrible weather and cold as a snowman's, er, toes. For actual Christmas we've got Aunt Alice's "world domination fund-raiser" xmas pudding to get through.

" Plus they have somewhere to land my helicopter. That will be handy!

so have the star and winteringham fields, i just don't know how others manage :wink:

i was interested to read coren's comments along the lines of 'you remember the tricks at the fat duck but you remember the taste of the food at l'enclume' that is a big distinction, and the way it is at anthony's.

i would be interested to try l'enclume, but i'm still put off by the wording of the menu, from the sounds of it he can certainly cook but to live up to the billing it would have to be out of this world!

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

There's something of the Jamie Olivers about his wording; "lip smacking pizza" and "blobs here and there" and "five contrasts to get you going" wouldn't be totally out of place on a Fifteen menu with its "oozy wet Bianco Perla polenta"

"best black olive sauce in the world" and a vegeterian menu that begins with the phrase "To get you started..."

There is something odd about the wording of parts of the menu. There are elements of it that I don't know how to respond to (emotionally). "Chocolate mayhem, no more voices" is the sort of thing that little old ladies with lots of bags who spend all day sitting at bus stops might mutter as you walk past. But the big picture for me is still "Ooooo!" and "Mmmmm!".

Anyway isn't it Jamie's creative team who do all the "words" (menus, books...)? By reputation, he's not much of an abstract thinker.

after securing our booking for the end of next month, sara and i were looking at the menu and the only dish that left us speechless (and believe me it doesnt happen often) was 'chocolate mayhem, no more voices' and it was probably that that finally convinced me he was taking the piss.

as for jamie, less the abstract thinker and more cock with a tongue too big for his mouth