• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Enclume

on service, had an interesting experience at Le Manoir Aux Quats Saison a couple of weeks back.

they asked whether we wanted the dishes explained to us as they were presented, or did we want to be left alone? Basically they were asking how obtrusive did we want service to be?

which I found a very welcome innovation. something I've never seen before. as it happened we did want them to explain the dishes, but I liked that they understood not everyone wanted the same experience.

What? you mean they didn't call you' mate', show you their tattoo's & piercings, ask if you'd brought any vinyl to play and want to 'explain the concept' to you?

Madness, whatever next?

sounds like you like duck soup as much as I do. maybe less if that's possible! :laugh:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Just a few thoughts...

First, if you're going to any form of Michelin star establishment and can not abide dramatisation what's wrong with pro-actively and politely asking them not to? You know damn well they're going to do it otherwise.

Also, if you do want a dramatised, but don't get a full explanation or forget why not point the ingredient out and ask? I do it all the time on account of my addled (booze soaked) brain!

Bottom line - you're the customer / client. You control your experience. I accept there can be exceptions, and there's no excuse for frosty or aloof behaviour, but I think that's very much a thing of the past in the modern restaurant climate.

Just a few thoughts...

First, if you're going to any form of Michelin star establishment and can not abide dramatisation what's wrong with pro-actively and politely asking them not to? You know damn well they're going to do it otherwise.

Also, if you do want a dramatised, but don't get a full explanation or forget why not point the ingredient out and ask? I do it all the time on account of my addled (booze soaked) brain!

Bottom line - you're the customer / client. You control your experience. I accept there can be exceptions, and there's no excuse for frosty or aloof behaviour, but I think that's very much a thing of the past in the modern restaurant climate.

lol, but you forget we're all English so we're far too polite to ask for anything / raise a fuss / not pay the optional mandatory tip if we get crap service &tc &tc :-p

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

• 2 months later...

So, I've heard through a friend of a friend that L'enclume is coming to manchester... replacing the French Restaurant in the Midland. Might finally be possible to eat well in Manchester city centre.

So, I've heard through a friend of a friend that L'enclume is coming to manchester... replacing the French Restaurant in the Midland. Might finally be possible to eat well in Manchester city centre.

This is touted as gossip on Manchester Confidential.

Much as I enjoy Rogan's food, I would very much hope that the gossip is not true. IMO, the French is a fine restaurant at which i enjoy eating probably more than almost anywhere else in the metro area. The restaurant has a style and elegance which comes with the room and the history and which I cannot see Rogan's food matching, let alone surpassing.

John Hartley