• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Enclume

Yep, some really nice photos there, they convey such a lot more than words.

Its my aim to produce that kind of standard myself :shock: Just to shut up some of the whingers :raz::biggrin:

Btw, do you use photoshop ?, as I do not, and perhaps think that I should.

Back onto the food, was the "regular lunch" normal size portions? and did it take on the same sort of presentation?

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Photoshop only enhances what the camera sees David.

My fuji finepix camera has a setting that replicates the old fujichrome slide film , full of wonderful vibrant colours.I have to admit , every one of my photos gets put through photoshop , Brightness and contrast tweaks and cropping if required.Sometimes if theres something in the background that`s distracting then a little Gaussian blur can be applied.

All in all photoshop does make a a wonderful job of tweaking pics for the better but at the end of the day having an eye for a photo helps...plus what`s on the plate.

You`ll find that lunch at lenclume doesnt differ in quantitiy or quality from the main menus at dinner service and if i remember correctly its under £30 for the set lunch which is around 4 courses.Then there`s the 15 course menu which is also available at lunchtime too.Check out my pics on flickr and you`ll see what you can get for your money.

cheers Alan

CumbriafoodieCumbriafoodie

Yeah I must apologise for the size of my photos, they look fine on my little netbook but I do know they're rather large on a normal sized screen. I'm a little lazy and should really resize them so they fit.

David, I'll repeat what Alan has said, I too try to do as little processing as possible. The setting on my camera is set to Vibrant colours, and most of the time I just use Picasa to crop and up the brightness. I only use Photoshop on special occasions to up the contrast and fix colourcast when it's needed . For this last set of pictures from L'Enclume because we were sat in the conservatory the light was ideal. Coupled with the wonderfully artistic looking food, all i had to do was press the shutter once, i couldn't fail!

The conservatory was full when we were there and everyone else had the set lunch - monkfish cheeks to start, suckling pig then almond cake. Decent sized portions with little inbetweeny stuff too and the bread. Good value for £25.

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

• 1 month later...

The Good food guide is having a 50th anniversary celebration dinner on Sunday 13th february and it`s being held at Lenclume in Cartmel.Chefs Simon Rogan and special guest chef Jason Atherton will be cooking a fabulous dinner consisting of 14 courses.

The night will also involve a Q&A session with Liz Carter , Simon and Jason and all attendees will get a copy of the new Good food guide cookbook.Sounding like a good night people.

Oh and BTW , Its £199 for 14 courses plus all drinks.

They`re also including a Good food guide recipe book ...Signed by the chefs.

and a copy of the 2011 Good food guide.

Plenty of availability as they only started advertising yesterday.

Hope this helps , should be a decent night.

Wow that sounds amazing, seriously tempted but Feb is going to be a busy month for us. I take it you're going Alan? If so please remember to take photos for us, I want to see every delightful course.

That does sound amazing £200 - I bet if you analyse the ingredient and the wine cost you won’t have more than £30 at the most. That is the trouble with those sort of do’s the half that pay are subsidising the celebs that get in on the nod.

Pam Brunning Editor Food & Wine, the Journal of the European & African Region of the International Wine & Food Society

My link

Actually think it is really good value for money -

"We are celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Good Food Guide with an exclusive evening with food created by Simon Rogan and our guest chef, the amazing Jason Atherton. You will receive a complimentary copy of the GFG anniversary cookery book and during the evening there will be a questions and answers session with Elizabeth Carter, editor of the GFG and the two chefs. Come and join us for this unique event with 'lots' of courses, wines and accompaniments that will start at 7pm on the 13th February 2011 and priced at £149 per person"

The actual costs I am sure are more considerable than £30. The special addition cook book is I am sure worth in the region of £20 and to incude wines with every course, should be a really great evening.

I may be tempted on this, as we have a free weekend, and the £149 tag is a lot more user friendly than the original £199 quoted. But is there a service charge levied on top? I forgot to ask.

It will certainly be a boosy night with champers and wine included, which for us would have to involve an overnight stay as I could not live without my driving licence.

As an aside, as Jason Atherton is featuring I would like to try to bend his ear for a soft opening table at his at new restaurant, Pollen Street Social. Which is only perhaps less than a few months away.

@d_goodfellow1

Why moan about the price of the evening ? Don't go if you can't afford it , simple....and if you did go you'd probably pick fault in something, step a side and let somebody who appreciate's exciting cooking go :hmmm:

Never trust a skinny Chef

Why moan about the price of the evening ? Don't go if you can't afford it , simple....and if you did go you'd probably pick fault in something, step a side and let somebody who appreciate's exciting cooking go :hmmm:

Who is this directed at?

Would it not help to click on the quote link, save us all guessing.

@d_goodfellow1

Hey , cmon guys , i didnt wanna start a war here.Of course its not going to be a cheap night if you end up staying over but Im sure it`ll stay in your memory banks for a long time.Great food , 2 top flight chefs , well selected wines , a couple of books and a treat for the journey home...Sticky toffee pudding shop and Cartmel village cheese shop, life really is far too short so just enjoy the experience.

That does sound amazing £200 - I bet if you analyse the ingredient and the wine cost you won’t have more than £30 at the most. That is the trouble with those sort of do’s the half that pay are subsidising the celebs that get in on the nod.

£30?? Err.. Then you would of course factor in the staff, utilities, equipment, rent etc. I never really saw L'Enclume as a celeb type spot though!

Hey , cmon guys , i didnt wanna start a war here.Of course its not going to be a cheap night if you end up staying over but Im sure it`ll stay in your memory banks for a long time.Great food , 2 top flight chefs , well selected wines , a couple of books and a treat for the journey home...Sticky toffee pudding shop and Cartmel village cheese shop, life really is far too short so just enjoy the experience.

I agree!!

You can buy them in Sainsbury's here! Was at l'enclume for lunch today. Will write up when I get more time. Some excellent dishes. Some serious flaws such as a near inedibly tough duck that had been cooked sous-vide. Safe 1* cooking but personally found Sat Bains food more progressive and interesting.

Adam

Some serious flaws such as a near inedibly tough duck that had been cooked sous-vide. Safe 1* cooking but personally found Sat Bains food more progressive and interesting.

Adam

Surely an almost inedible dish, along with other serious flaws, means that it's not "safe 1* cooking" ...?

Edited by MacD (log)

I do feel it's well worth it's one star status. I've had flawed dishes in other places at this kind of level and I believe that it's things like this that stop places moving on to 2 and 3 star. I had the worst thing I've ever eaten at a 3* restaurant as well.

I did feed back about the duck; not at the time which I should have done really. The rest of the dish was fantastic; it came with crisped gizzards and duck sweetbreads, which were divine. The breast however was tough. The head chef was surprised by this and said that he would look into it.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Treated myself to an early Spring lunch at Lenclume over the weekend.As always, Simon creating new and very interesting dishes using well sourced ingredients from around the Cumbrian area.

IMG_6434.JPG

Black pudding and Roasted Leek in bread

IMG_6444.JPG.

Salt and vinegar crispy rice , cod yolk , watercress and cream of egg and garlic

IMG_6461.JPG

Potted Char , radish , fresh cream , dill and Rye toast.

IMG_6468.JPG

Artichoke flesh and skin , Crosnes , fresh goats cheese and tarragon oil.

IMG_6491.JPG

Lemon sole and chicken skin , smoked yolk , coastal herbs , pink fir and clam juices.

IMG_6502.JPG

Grilled sea kale and golden beetroot , wild flower honey and salted beetroot , Hedge garlic.

IMG_6539.JPG

Roasted cauliflower and young squid , Elderberry vinegar and squid ink cream.

IMG_6545.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

Gotts milk fed spring lamb with sheeps milk curds and turnips.

IMG_6581.JPG

Cream crowdie , Douglas fir and Rhubarb.

IMG_6607.JPG

Sea buckthorn , Malt , Cumbrian dark beer , Liquorice and Blackberry powder.

IMG_6640.JPG

Aerated chocolate , Kendal mintcake ice.

• 1 month later...