• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blackberries

Wendy DeBord

I inherited a box with my job and I'm not a huge blackberry fan. Everytime I attempt to make something with them the seeds just drive me nuts and I can't sell an item with blackberry seeds still in it. So, I do know of a million and one things I could do with this puree-but I've never done any matching with it.

What other fruits, nuts, flavors etc.... do you like with blackberry? And do you sweeten to taste or leave it tart?

I turned what I had into puree and need to pair it with other items to use it up. Any suggestions?

Tommarow I'm doing a blackberry fool with shortbread cookies (the vanilla shortbreads from Claudia Flemmings book is to die for) for a ladies luncheon. But thats a safe combo. What pairs/matches well with blackberries that isn't quite so safe?

Thanks in advance

I love blackberries and vanilla ice cream/custard variants (anglaise, brulee, etc). I know this is a pretty safe combination, but I sure love it. I like to macerate them with grand marnier and sugar regardless of their ultimate use. So, yes, I sweeten to taste.

as a sauce (no seeds)

with rose geranium flavored panna cotta or

with a cantaloupe cream (in addition, a beautiful color contrast)

with peach ice cream

I wonder if the puree could be used as part of a peach shortcake?

doesn't help with the puree but I also like peaches and blackberries together in a galettes, pies and cobblers (When added as an accent to the peaches one gets the pleasant aciidity but not a mouthful of seeds!)

edited to add: blackberry ice cream with sauce inside a split vanilla meringue and topped with whipped cream... :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Cook them down into a sauce with sugar and a touch of lemon juice and zest. Use as a sauce for strawberry shortcake or ice cream.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Blackberries pair with: plums, peaches, hazelnuts, almonds,walnuts, nectarines, zinnfandel, cabernet, pinot noir, champagne, vanilla, pluots, apricots. I love them- where I grew up in Northern CA they grew wild all over. Funny that you are bothered by the seeds- do you like raspberries?

There's always blackberry sorbet. Or how about a blackberry-lime curd like the one in Sherry Yard's book?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I like them with rum, myself. Not a standard combination, but it appeals to me. Personally I like them tart, but I'll sweeten them depending what I put them with.

I'm not a summer person (I detest hot weather, and I avoid the sun) but to me there's nothing better than the smell of a blackberry patch under a hot August sun (they're an August thing anywhere I've lived. Maybe the very end of July, in a good year).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Currently on our tasting menut i'm running a dessert with sweet corn finanacier, blackberry-thyme sorbet, apricot reduction, and "Smoked" Caramel. The Blackberry goes very nicely with the thyme, and all of the other elements... especialy the smoke and sweet corn.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

this is probably too simple an answer but for me - an apple and blackberry crumble is one of the greatest home made puddings in the world. It just makes the fruit part wonderfully jammy as well as tart and zingy from the apples.

Have no idea if it is apple season in the US right now - but berries will freeze really well.

this is probably too simple an answer but for me - an apple and blackberry crumble is one of the greatest home made puddings in the world. It just makes the fruit part wonderfully jammy as well as tart and zingy from the apples.

Have no idea if it is apple season in the US right now - but berries will freeze really well.

Just have to agree with this! I adore apple/blackberry crumble so long as there are no oats in the crumble topping. :huh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

but nibbed hazlenuts can be a nice addition to the crumble topping - honest! :smile:

someone has already mentioned turning the berries into a sauce - would think it would go well with rich meats like duck, venison or such like.

and also a blackberry fool would be lovely for summer. Think Bill Granger has a recipe for blackberry butter which could be a bit different? try this link blackberry butter

Cheers

Yin

but nibbed hazlenuts can be a nice addition to the crumble topping - honest! :smile:

So can lightly toasted slivered almonds... BUT no oats!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There is a gr8 book out there called "Culinary Artistry". While it is much more useful from a savory point of view, it is still helpful on the pastry side. It lists the item you want to use and all the possible matchings and pairings that go well with it. Can't remember the author. I'll look at when i get home tonight.

I was just looking at this book on Amazon the other day...

Culinary Artistry, by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page.

It looked interesting--is it worth it?

If you google eG you'll discover that this is a favorite book among many of us. It's a fabulous reference book.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The current issue of Fine Cooking (which for some bizarre reason is the September issue) has a beautiful-looking raspberry/blackberry mousse that I'm dying to make.

Not that I've done any of these, but I think I'd also pair a blackberry sauce with blueberry/creme de cassis ice cream, or layered in a parfait with a key-lime-type custard, or with crepes filled with something creamy, or a vanilla panna cotta in a pool of blackberry sauce. Blackberries are delicious with sage, so if you want to go a bit further afield, maybe a brown sugar and sage pound cake with blackberry sauce.

As always, my Not a Pastry Chef disclaimer applies here.

Blackberries are one of my all time favorite foods! :biggrin:

Blackberry cheese blintzes, Sweet/spicy BBQ sauce (especially good on pork chops and meatballs!), blackberry dumplings (basic dumpling recipe- add to simmering apple juice and blackberries- crushed nuts on top), blackberry cinnamon rolls, creme brulee w/ blackberries, blackberry fudge, truffles, milkshakes or daiquiris.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

My blackberries in the pen are still green, can't wait till the end of this month...

I love the bramble flavor.

Besides jelly, a Black and Blue Pie is nice...half blackberries half blueberries...

Also, blackberry sauce (blackberries cooked and strained then the juice is sweetened and thickened with cornstarch slurry) is great on pancakes and french toast.

Thanks everyone, you've given me some really good ideas to work with! I do need to try Sherry Yards curd.

No one else hates the seeds?

The seeds in raspberries pass, but the ones in the blackberries we get are impossible, you can't chew them at all. I've never been a huge fan of them because I've never gotten any that were sweet, they are always tart as heck-with huge seeds-not my favorite fruit.

Anyway I discovered that their tartness balanced really well against whipped cream in my fools. So I'm rethinking my dislike for these berries..........if only they had a seedless variety. But thank-you I now have several dirrections to explore!

So can lightly toasted slivered almonds... BUT no oats!

I am so with you on the no oats thing. Can't stand cookies with oats either. But I will eat oatmeal with milk once in a great while, specially when I'm sick.