• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An error in the book RUM by Dave Broom?

Mickeman

Wonder if there is an error in the book RUM by Dave Broom?

On page 40 at the end of the first column and the beginning of the second column it says;

”At this point the distiller is able to separate the heart of the spirit (averaging seventy-two percent ABV) from the ”high” and ”low” wines which appear before and after the heart.”

I wonder if this is correct since in whisky making the “low wine” is the fluid that comes out from the first pot still after distillation.

The name on the fluid preceding the heart in the final distillation is called foreshots or heads and the fluids after the heart is called the feints or tails.

Grateful if anyone could clarify if this is an error in the book or if the rum and whisky industry in this case uses different terminology.

Hi Mickeman,

You are right, it is a error. The terminology of Rum is not that very different from the Whisky or Cognac production.

Low wine comes from the first pot still and high wine from the second. I have a bottle of High wine, wich means that it is an unaged Rum. It even did not have a few weaks rest before botling. Since the name rum can only be given after some time of ageing, the name High wine is used.

It is an uderstandable misstake, and it shows that you are a great observer.

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

”At this point the distiller is able to separate the heart of the spirit (averaging seventy-two percent ABV) from the ”high” and ”low” wines which appear before and after the heart.”

I think this is a matter of semantics.

If you add the word 'respectively' to the end of Dave Broom's sentence, it makes sense when refering to a column, or single-pot still.

The first spirit that comes out of the still is called 'high wines' in the rum business. Next comes the 'heart of the spirit' or 'coeur de chauffe.' Next come the low wines, when most of the alcohol has been boiled from the wash.

High wines are also called 'heads,' and low wines are known as 'tails.'

I have a bottle of High wine, wich means that it is an unaged Rum. 

I have never heard of unaged rum being called high wines, unless it came from the still before the heart of the spirit.

Since the name rum can only be given after some time of ageing, the name High wine is used.

Is this law in your country? In the US, alcohol can be sold as rum as long as it is made from sugar cane juice, syrup or molasses, and is distilled to less than 95% abv.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.