• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans Rum

Ed Hamilton

New Orleans Rum labeled simply Cane, is coming of age. It's been about five years since New Orleans Rum began making their own rum and their producsts are beginning to show the maturity that can only come from age.

The amber color is quite translucent. The aoma opens with hints of butterscotch, vanilla and florals lead to a body laced with spice and hints of honey. At 40% alcohol by volume, this is a very drinkable rum. Congratulations to the guys in New Orleans.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

This is one I continue to reach for on my bar shelf. I like it neat with just a few small ice cubes --- but in New Orleans they are pushing Cane and Coke, which they claim tastes just like Dr. Pepper. I bought quite a few bottles of this on my last trip and have gifted them to friends, all who love it, including some Scotch bigots.

The New Orleans Amber product, which is the entry level aged rum that they sell, is also nice, and I prefer it for mixers to Cane.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...
New Orleans Rum labeled simply Cane, is coming of age. It's been about five years since New Orleans Rum began making their own rum and their producsts are beginning to show the maturity that can only come from age.

The amber color is quite translucent. The aoma opens with hints of butterscotch, vanilla and florals lead to a body laced with spice and hints of honey. At 40% alcohol by volume, this is a very drinkable rum. Congratulations to the guys in New Orleans.

Will have to give this a try. The other NO rums were :puke: :wacko:

t'other ones even had a head on them, kinda like :aach: beer :aach: :huh:

Not sure when you last tried them, but certainly the stuff I have had in the last year has been good.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Jason, so, no more foam?

No, no foam. Are you sure you didnt have leftover dishwasher detergent in that rum glass?

• 8 months later...