• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asaginni de Roma- Newark Ironbound

richl2214

Went to this place last week in Ironbound Newark. 134 Clifford Street.

My girlfriend who is Portugeuse kept telling me how good this Italian eatery in Ironbound was. I always blew her off since I am an Italian-American who grew up with fantastic home cooked meals and she thinks the Olive Garden is edible.

First thing I noticed was the place was packed with Italian/Americans. Good sign.

Well let me tell you the food was fantastic. We started off with Hearts of Artichoke Oregenata sauteed in olive oil/garlic/lemon juice.

Next split a very nice and light TriColor sald with Parmaggiano Reggiano.

For entree I had Penne with Ricotta cheese in a marinara sauce covered with pancetta. Fantastic! She had Broccoli Rabe and Rigatoni with shrimp and garlic sauce.

Espressos were good and desserts were ok but not made in house. The chocolate souffle was good but not great.

All in all a great experience. I think they have a singer/band there on certain nights. Parking is no problem with a lot right across the street. Will definitely go back!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Agreed! The first time a co-worker took me to AdR, I figured he was nuts--the Ironbound is for Spanish/Portuguese/Brazilian food. If I want Italian, that's not the first place I'd go...but this place won all of us over. Haven't been there in far too long...thanks for the reminder, Rich!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Nope...full bar + house wines, iirc.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

It's been over a year since my last visit, but the only wine I've had their is the house red, b/c the owner (?) insisted on GIVING us some!

Could it be homemade???

Edited by Curlz (log)

I didn't really look at the wine list. I just ordered the house chianti. It is definitely a full service bar though.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species