• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who goes camping?

It's camping season, and I'll certainly be doing lots of it.

This year will be my first for bringing along a stove. I'm used to shorter trips with a fairly bland diet and lots of perishables since I typically only stay out for a couple of days. This year, however, I'm doing things a little differently. I won't be alone, for one; I'll have a travel companion for most of my trips. Also, we'll be out for days at a time, maybe up to two weeks in colder places in August. The weather in New Mexico is pretty warm these days but nights can be chilly.

I know the usual staples and I have Recipes for a Small Planet around here somewhere.

What are your favorite camping meals? What are some things you bring along that might not occur to the less imaginative packer?

Share, share.

Also, can you have a fire pit and a wood fire?

Usually, when I go out for a five day canoe trip, we take some perishables to eat in the first 24 hours. I've had facsimile of burritos using instant refried beans, boxed dirty rice, with tomato, tortilla, and shredded cabbage (the cabbage does far better than lettuce without refrigeration). Have also had cabbage and tofu in a peanut sauce (the peanut sauce was a dried mix).

Pasta is pretty lightweight and makes a good evening meal. I often take a bit of cheesecloth for draining. Rather than buying the freezedried sauces, I bring in a small amount of homemade pesto and some smoked fish for adding to the pasta.

Instant pancake mix and instant oatmeal are typical for breakfast. Use powdered milk for the oatmeal if you want milk. Also occassional pop-tart can be a real treat.

A few of the staples I usually take in for cooking: small Nalgene bottle of cooking oil (olive or canola), plastic insulated coffee cup for eating everything from pancakes to oatmeal to coffee, one-cup plastic coffee cone with filters and ground coffee, salt and pepper, wine poured from the bottles into Nalgene and kept closed until drinking (a real treat on day three or four but it adds weight), homemade oatmeal cookies with dried fruit and nuts for a little pick-me-up when you are on the move.

If you can make a wood fire consider making upside-down pear (or peach, etc) cake. Jiffy instant cake mix and a small can of pears in syrup. Mix up the cake batter with water, pour the pears and then the batter into a camping pan with a tight lid. Put the pan into the coals trying to get coals on all sides including the top. Monitor and handle carefully. The pears and syrup will carmelize on the bottom.

Another popular dessert is scrambled brownies. Add water to instant brownie mix in a skillet. Put the skillet on the heat and stir. They end up quite a bit softer than brownies but still quite tasty.

Hopefully you aren't leaving too soon and have a little time for menu planning. I think there are lots of great ideas out there if you are willing to break out from going to the outfitter and buying freeze-dried meals.

Edit: Clarity

Edited by slbunge (log)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Hunt around on amazon.com or your favorite used book site for "NOLS Cookery." It's a back-country hikers and campers cookbook published by the National Outdoor Leadership School, and the recipes and techniques therein will turn you into a one-burner-stove gourmet chef.

I was introduced to some of these tricks and techniques on a NOLS course in Wyoming twenty years ago, and have used them ever since. Especially if you are planning trips that are longer than three or four days, you owe it to yourself to check this out.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I have recently been introduced to the world of camping and, "what are we going to eat?" has been the first question on my lips.

Last camping trip I went on, we were lucky because there was a smoker where we smoked 6 pounds of pork butt with a spicy dry rub but I know that this was not "real camping".

I just want to have more than the hot dogs on a stick, you know? So I am eagerly awating some brilliant ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

First off, try this link. REI has an annual camp cooking contest and they post a bunch of winning recipes. I'm actually going to test these out on some unsuspecting guests at home and see what they think.

http://www.rei.com/stores/cooking.html?cm_re=hb*hb6*cook

It sounds like you wont have space to carry this but if you do, this little gem can bake wonders out in the woods.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDis...vcat=REI_SEARCH

MSR dragonfly stove is probably one of the best. It can boil water like nothing else and offers great flame control for outdoor gourmet cooking.

Don't forget a water purification system!

Definitely bring some cooking oil and spices (these can help save some otherwise awful dishes). I use old 35mm film canisters to carry my spices in.

I usually bring a lot of freez dried but I also bring some perishables. The first couple of days I utilize the perishibles then the rest of the trip use the freez dried (dried shitake mushrooms, olive oil, pasta, garlic, you get the idea).

By the way, ketchup works wonders out in the woods.

Hope this helps a little.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

One thing I almost forgot. If you plan on doing a lot of camping BUY A FOOD DEHYDRATOR and dehydrate your own produce. Dehydrated food can empty the pocketbook fast. It is a worthy investment.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Are you backpacking or car camping?

Backpacking.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Here is a list of some of the things I typically bring, excluding anything that's already been mentioned:

-Greenfoods, usually Living Fuel or Berry Green. For meal replacement or a pick me up.

-I hate premade trail mixes, but find that if I make my own it can be great. For stuffing in my jacket pocket.

- Small bags of candied orange peel, Marcona almonds, dried strawberries, Monnuka raisins, tender candied ginger, dried cherries, raw oats, pepitas, sunflower seeds. Either for making the aforementioned trail mix, or for adding to oats, or for snacking on plain.

-Emer'gen-C Vitamin C and mineral supplements for adding to water. Raspberry.

Really helps my energy levels.

-Some kind of dried meat, usually elk or buffalo jerky. And Colman's dry mustard for dabbing atop.

-Tiny loaf of Muesli bread for the first couple of days.

-Gorp cookies. I like peanut butter and banana in mine.

-Gomasio.

-Almond butter.

-Ghee.

-Sheet crackers made from dehydrated vegetables, sprouted almonds, flax seeds etc. Can be rehydrated, eaten as a snack, spread with beans or dipped in soup.

-A few energy bars. I like Lara bars made with only dried fruit and buts, and Whaguru Chews made with nuts, brown rice syrup, maple syrup etc. The ones that are basically chocolate candy bars make me crash.

-Tortillas for breakfast the first morning out.

-Mung beans.

-Yerba mate.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Smores staples-grahm crackers, Hershey bars and marshmallows. It's light and be eaten as 'energy' food (sugar) along the way. Gotta have Smores!

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I recently received a review copy of The Leave-No-Crumbs Camping Cookbook. It had a lot of great recipes, that, even though we don't go camping, I thought sounded good enough the make. Plus there's advice on each recipe about whether to begin prep at home or bring raw ingredients on the trail, lots of dehydrator advice and recipes. Also, many vegetarian recipes, but not exclusively, as one of the authors is a vegetarian and one is not.

1580175007.01._PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg The Leave-No-Crumbs Camping Cookbook by Rick Greenspan and Hal Kahn

Well, the first trip of the season went well and I wanted to share a couple of things:

-Wasa or Ryvita crackers pack light and are surprisingly hearty.

-Dehydrated hummus sounds disgusting (I'm Lebanese!) but is surprisingly delicious. Especially if you don't think of it as hummus, but rather a hearty bean dip.

-Some kind of pepperoni and some sort of hard cheese for the first couple of days make for great high fat/protein/falutin snacking the first day or two out. And the pepperoni, if you have (a) dog(s), makes great dog treats, too. Yeah, he's spoiled.

-Almond butter, almond butter. Maybe marzipan, too.

-Homemade fruit leather rocks.

-A Nalgene bottle filled with sake or red wine. for when it hails mothballs.

-Drop cookies made with raw oats, egg whites, brown sugar and dried cherries and ginger or dried apricots and almonds instead of trail mix. Feels like a cookie, but isn't.

-Whatever you do, don't skip out on the sardines and the ventresca tuna!

Yum.

Just a couple of tips that may help with whatever menu u chose to pack.

Water treatment tablets are essential in case weather makes it difficult to boil water.Rocky Mountain fever is no rocky mountain high.

Water proof matches and zip lock bags for everything.The large freezer size will hold tshirts or wet swim wear just as well as food.Even oil for cooking can be carried this way, although I learned the hard way to double bag and put it on top .

Freezing the water you are going to carry in will give you a nice longlasting ice pack, as well as making the water even more refreshing.

And we always pack a can or 2 of tuna or salmon,so many ways to use it and worth its weight.

And the best camping tip I ever got. When cooking on a fire smear the outside of pot liberally with liquid dish soap(baggied o course) the soap is all that gets blackened and naturally soap is easy to wash off.

Have a super time!

Next week we will be tent camping with our three kids (youngest is 11 months) and another couple whose kid's ages range from 16 to 4. We will be camping for six days. I plan to get all of the fresh produce from the many stands near our campsite so I'll be planning meals according to what is available. Some typical camping meals- risotto with whatever veggies are available, pasta with fresh tomato sauce, breakfast dinners such as pancakes and homefries, stir fries with tofu and veggies, baked potatoes baked in the camp fire- add sourcream, broccolli and other stuff plus a big salad and it's dinner- and whatever else I come up with at the moment. Snacks will be guac, salsa, and other dips with chopped up veggies or else sliced fruit. This is the first year I've ever camped with a baby so pray for me people! I'm a little worried about how he'll take to naps in a tent and also about keeping him safe from all the camping hazards. We'll adjust though, I'm sure, and I'll try to take some photos of the whole event if I can. Oh, and if anyone has any tips about camping with young kids I would love to hear them! Thanks.

Melissa

If you're camping in an area where there is access to fresh produce and you're not packing stuff into the back country, roasted sweet corn is one must-do that hasn't been mentioned. The ideal method is to soak the ears (in the husks) overnight in a bucket of water and then place into the embers of a campfire. have tongs or leather work gloves availabel to turn the ears until they're charred on all sides. About 15 - 20 minutes will likely suffice. Peel the husk off with the gloves (the silk just falls off with the husk. It's absolutely the best corn you'll ever eat. It can also be roasted on a propane gas grill or charcoal grill but the embers of a fire seem to yield a more intense flavor.

• 1 month later...

Car-camping: Bring whatever you like for food, but bring a heavy cast iron dutch oven and a roll of thick tin foil. With these two items I can make a baked ziti and a loaf of bread. Cook on an open fire and stoke it good before you retire for the night. In the morning you can cook cowboy coffee, bacon, eggs and toast on the embers.

Backpacking (no fires): Strap an alumnium pan on the outside of your pack. When you're ready for dinner open your sack of wine, and enjoy the fine selection of cheese you brought. Fire up the MSR/Dragonfly/Whisperlite and get that aluminum pan hot and sizzle some steaks. Wrap them in foil while you deglaze the pan with a bit of the wine and boil your rice/noodles in some water and butter. In the morning cowboy coffee and oatmeal with fresh berries you picked along the way. If you are allowed to build fires cook the food on the camp fire instead.

Cowboy coffee you just cook coffee in hot water (with or without some eggshells), and let the grounds settle to the bottom.

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

• 1 month later...

I love one pot cooking in a Trangia.

Curry is a good staple.

Fondue is fun and easy to do

Pork in cider

Beef in red wine

ham hock in mustard and cream

Cooking like this is great because you have to take your time. Chill out, read a book and drink

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this thread in response to Marlene's Camping Princess Style thread.

As mentioned above, I'm interested in menus and tricks while backpacking or car camping.

Fridges/freezers that use the cigarette outlet of the car are not allowed. :raz:

My old stand by? Tin foil pouch meals. Prepare them before you leave, and toss them on coals.

A.

john has been trying to finish his 35's and become a member of the club:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catskill_Mountain_3500_Club

since his trips tend to be 2-3 days at the most i send some hard boiled eggs and dried oatmeal with him for breakfast. lunches tend to be pita bread and peanut butter. for the first night it is a hamburger/carrot/pea/onion/potato stew that i make and freeze. it thaws out on the hike in and can be cooked retort or in a pot over the msr/whisper. for trail noshes he really likes Pemmican turkey jerky and a trail mix of blueberries, cherries, dark chopped chocolate, oatmeal that i bake in the oven with honey, sunflower seeds and almonds.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm bumping this thread in response to Marlene's

A.

:raz: If you insist. Marinade ribs in a ziplock bag. Get a good bed of coals going and wrap the ribs in foil and bury them in the coals. Leave for a couple of hours. Eat.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

And the best camping tip I ever got. When cooking on a fire smear the outside of pot liberally with liquid dish soap(baggied o course) the soap is all that gets blackened  and naturally soap is easy to wash off.

Have a super time!

Well I have no intention of camping in anything less than a 4 star hotel (or maybe Marlene's RV :biggrin: ) but this is a brilliant tip as I will use it to keep my LeCreuset gratin from becoming all carbony when I put it under my beer can duck on the BBQ! So thanks from a non-camper. (Camped a few times when the kids were young - tent only - hated almost every minute of it.)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When you have access to heat with a camping stove or fire: warm fruit compote

Stew up a pot of mixed dried fruit in water and a packet of hot apple cider mix until the fruit is soft. Can add some alcohol or brown sugar for flavor at the end. Can also add some some nuts for crunch at the end.

I contributed this as a group dessert at the end of the first day of a snowshoe backpacking trip. I was able to bring in some yogurt for the first day and so sweetened that and served it on top.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Gran Marnier is a favorite not-so-secret ingredient to add to pancake syrup and hot chocolate.

For backpacking:

High-altitude pancakes are a treat. I make 'em as big as the pan, and the batter climbs the sides... big and puffy and crispy on the outside.

Instant soup to sip while awaiting the rest of the meal. Dry salami is nice to have around too.

If varmint activity is low risk (I'll take my chances with marmots, but I concede to bears), I like to take pre-cooked bacon for the first couple of days.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.